New Uke Day (NUD) Vintage Kamaka HB-2D

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just recently acquired this vintage deluxe Ohta-san Kamaka, and I am in love. I finally have the last model on my list!

When it came to me, it was strung with what I thought was nylgut (milky white strings), and it had a very clear and bright tone. It has a much better projection and sustain than the smaller sopranos which is what most of the other white labels on the secondary market are. I have yet to restring it, because I found three cracks in the instrument one on the front two in the back. I’m currently debating my options on where to send it because my local luthier here in town is out of commission due to chemotherapy. What sets this instrument apart from most others I would assume would be the binding (until I hear back from Kamaka, I’m not really sure what the binding is. It does not look like the maple on my HF-1D) that you see, as well as the black white black rosette around the sound hole. To my knowledge, and from what I’ve seen of other vintage Kamaka’s, rosettes on vintage Kamaka’s are very rare. I am considering putting on the new Kamaka exclusive colored Gotoh tuners as well as getting a Kamaka branded hard case. I’m also considering installing a pick up, as the saddle on this instrument can accommodate one. It’s a little ironic that the Koa on my HF-1D is fancier than this Ohta-san.

A very cool side-note about this instrument…it used to belong to the very influential and prominent Canadian ukulele pedagogue J. Chalmers Doane.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpeg
    IMG_2409.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2410.jpeg
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2411.jpeg
    IMG_2411.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2412.jpeg
    IMG_2412.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 35
That is one gorgeous instrument. Well worth the additional investment to get it restored.

Congrats. Regarding the cracks, look inside the uke to see if it has been repaired. If it has you’ll see smal square/diamond shape pieces of wood glued to the end of the cracks. If it hasn’t you can also send it back to Kamaka and they can repair it for you. Or even change the whole top/back.

Congrats. Regarding the cracks, look inside the uke to see if it has been repaired. If it has you’ll see smal square/diamond shape pieces of wood glued to the end of the cracks. If it hasn’t you can also send it back to Kamaka and they can repair it for you. Or even change the whole top/back.
I did send my last vintage to Kamaka, but this once doesn’t need it as much, just a few cracks fixed that a luthier can do.

A real beaut! The body looks a little deeper than usual, or is that generally true of Ohta-san?

A real beaut! The body looks a little deeper than usual, or is that generally true of Ohta-san?
I’m not sure honestly. I can compare it to my other Kamaka’s and let you know when I’m back in school next week.

Top Bottom