ukulele theory for noobs discussion thread

My question here is if the C7 belong in the F scale family what about the Cmin7 and Cmaj7? do they belong to the Cmin and Cmaj scales?
There's no such thing as a Cmin or Cmaj scale. Cmin7 and Cmaj7 refer to chord (not "cord") types. Scales are based on notes.

Wouldn't it be the B that's doubled in the second?
No, the second chord is G#, E, G# B with two G# notes, so the G# is doubled.

so if you are wondering if there is a cheat sheet like that made for ukulele, then i dont know. but wouldnt you rather be able to eventually figure it out in your head on your own, rather than look at a sheet everytime you needed to use it? im not saying a cheet sheet is bad. but by learning this, you wont need one. but if you really want to... make one of your own. by drawing out the fretboard in the same way (four lines instead of 6) as that pic you posted, and plotting the positions out, it will help you learn it quicker (i have my students do the same thing).
I agree with NukeDOC on the benefit of making your own. Buddy McCue did post a diagram to help memorize dominant 7th chord shapes here though:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128110&postcount=1

mmmm must be missing something then?

I thought C major scale CDEFGABC, C minor Scale CDEbFGAbBbC etc.

And 4442 was G string 4th fret = B
C string 4th fret = E
E string 4th fret = G#
A string 2nd fret = B

Spotted the typo, corrected sorry. I'm sure there will be more

Last edited:
This thread should be stickied right under @NukeDOC’s lesson thread. I feel like I’ve just peeked into the secret vault where all the knowledge is kept, between that thread and the syllabus by @joramy. With the theory explanations herein it has hit me- not only do these rules apply to other instruments including guitar, one could string and tune a stringed instrument however one pleased (within reason- popular tunings exist for a reason), and map out new chord shapes and scales using these rules. I wasn’t the most attentive student, but I’ve learned more tonight about music theory than I ever did in high school music class or guitar lessons. I’ll go through the lessons slowly to make sure I get it all; may even make flash cards for me and the kids. Using a keyboard to demonstrate the patterns and visually show the sharps/flats was very helpful, I’m definitely a Denny’s menu kinda guy.

This is just fantastic, really exciting; when I picked up guitar again my goal was to learn the instrument, not just learn how to play songs. Ukulele makes for an easier case study than guitar, but once learned it’s going to really unlock the instruments!

Thank you to the folks who’ve contributed to this great UU resource!

💡💡💡💡💡

I second your motion, @Ottertail, and I also thank you for bringing this very old but eternally- relevant thread to my attention!

The first 2009 post that explained the 1-3-5 relationship for notes in major chords was a light-bulb moment for my musically-uneducated brain. I’m committed to going back to read the OPs entire tutorial. Wow!!!!

BUUUUT, when I clicked on the “awesome tutorial thread” link, I got “not available”. No joy in Mudville. I supposed this is a Tech Support/ Mod question: Can the OP’s tutorial series be revived/ reactivated, or is it retrievable in some other form?

Last edited:
Yes, but that’s the locked thread of lessons only. I resurrected this companion comment thread, and thought it would be nice to sticky it as well.
Was responding to scruggsfan who I thought was trying to open the link to the lesson thread that had been posted in the thread you resurrected. They're both stickied but that posted link doesn't work.

Top Bottom