Uke Like the Pros Questionable Business Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I recommend buying from a local store of repute, if it was not for $50 Makala on Amazon shipped in 2 days for free, I would never have ventured on this journey… Amazon, eBay, and Reverb have their place. Heck, I made a friend buying a MyaMoe Banjo via US wide search on Craigslist and eventually even bought an MBU from the same person… I also found a mint condition Martin 1920s 1k via Craigslist, if it was not for eBay I would have not owned a Grimes Beamer and Reverb has been great for buying and selling.

Not true! Even though Terry himself has beat us all to it with his youtube video titled - "5 Reasons NOT to buy your Ukulele on Amazon!"

What I have found is that IF a uke arrives with blemishes that are unacceptable to the buyer, or if you simply don't like it - the sound, etc., Amazon sellers must refund your money including shipping with no restocking fee. You also get 30 days to do this. If Amazon itself is the one directly selling, they WILL reship the replacement BEFORE they receive the item back, often reshipping within one business day. This applies to damaged items, or items it turns out you don't like. Amazon is the most hassle free place I've encountered with regard to returns on all sorts of products. I've actually bought some really nice gloss solid top/wood ukes off of Amazon. I've also done a uke return as well as various other products with ZERO hassles.

ULTP has "rules"one must meet and navigate through. If the blemish on the uke isn't visible from the distance of an entire arms length, it isn't blemished according to them. If you still want to return a uke for ANY reason other than obvious damage, you will be subject to a 15% restocking fee AND the cost of the original shipping, AND return shipping .You only get FIVE days before your return option is void. (Not that one would need more time than this, but I also like not feeling "pressured"). You will also WAIT until they get it back, so they can "evaluate" the validity of your return BEFORE they issue you anything. If something does arrive damaged, they will make you wait until they file/process a claim first with their insurance company. More waiting. (This is all set forth in their return policy on their site).

I"m NOT suggesting that all the other uke stores don't have any policies similar to ULTPs. But if you are comparing Amazon to them, I think my points are valid. The good news is there ARE non-Amazon related uke sellers that will do their best to work with you if you aren't happy with your purchase.

I, like many here, are limited to buying musical instruments unseen, unheard, and unplayed. There isn't one instrument made of wood that sounds, feels, and looks exactly like the "sample" stock photo or video. Too often "sellers" are all about the "music' when it comes to "sales", but suddenly don't know "what the heck you are talking about" if you encounter any issues. Then it is all - "this uke is the same as that uke, which are the same as those ukes of the same brand and model". "A Honda Civic is a Honda Civic". But that isn't my experience when it comes to organic wood crafted musical instruments. I've even noticed this with laminates. I really appreciate sellers who are mindful about this and don't make you feel like you are being too "picky". The very subjective connection we make to an instrument needs to be the "right fit". If our musical instruments were only a household "tool", then "good enough". But I don't think I'm alone when it comes to our life-long relationships we make with our musical instruments - the very personal music they make, how they play, and the joy they bring to our lives.
Valid points..

Elderly takes amazing pics as well!!
Your joking , right ?
Those are stock photos .
"The exact appearance of this item may vary."

On request they will email iPhone photos .
They've sent me both good and poor quality photos .
One time the photos were so poor I asked for a re-take , and they did !
They've also offered on their own to email audio clips .

Also , I've bought ukes from other reputable merchants , from photos of the actual uke , and the actual uke I received looked different from the photos . That's just the way it is with ordering online .

The fact that ULTP charges for photos on request would be a deal breaker for me .
But it doesn't upset me .

Last edited:
Your joking , right ?
Those are stock photos .
"The exact appearance of this item may vary."

On request they will email iPhone photos .
They've sent me both good and poor quality photos .
One time the photos were so poor I asked for a re-take , and they did !
They've also offered on their own to email audio clips .

Also , I've bought ukes from other reputable merchants , from photos of the actual uke , and the actual uke I received looked different from the photos . That's just the way it is with ordering online .

The fact that ULTP charges for photos on request would be a deal breaker for me .
But it doesn't upset me .
I agree they do not click pics for each uke unlike Gryphon. I bought a Martin centennial from them and they had 2 in stock and emailed me pics for me to select. That said they do click lovely pics for their site!

Am I the only one who thinks it’s time for this thread to come to an end? It has served it’s original purpose well, and will continue to exist for those who have use for the information it contains. But it’s now drawing comments that are less than helpful. Can we stop flogging the dead horse, please? :)

I just read this entire thread, and am I ever glad I did. I was going to drive two hours to visit ULTP today, and now I will not.
You should still drive down, anyway. Stop in at Hale Ukulele. Rick might have something you like :) Check the hours first. It's his retirement gig, so it's not open as long as most stores.

Yep Jsn, I too think it's time to close 'er down. After 10 pages, I feel it's one of the longer threads we've had in a whail and not the best in showing what we strive for on the UU. I'm grateful for the info and makes me more oaware of what to look for for places where I buy.

Thank you all for your input but it's time to bring the Aloha to an end.

Yep Jsn, I too think it's time to close 'er down. After 10 pages, I feel it's one of the longer threads we've had in a whail and not the best in showing what we strive for on the UU. I'm grateful for the info and makes me more oaware of what to look for for places where I buy.

Thank you all for your input but it's time to bring the Aloha to an end.
I agree Patrick. As the OP, my goal was to bring some info that concerned me to the UU because this forum has helped me make ukulele decisions as a beginner. This thread has been an interesting mixture of helpful and not so helpful info. At this point, I don't see it bringing anything useful to the community. Thanks everyone for sharing. Patrick if you are someone that can close this thread, I'm putting in the request. Thanks 👍

The admins/mods here should easily be able to check the IP addresses of the two new posters who may very well be one in the same. That will also reveal their location unless they were really careful and used a program to hide it.

If their goal was to get the thread closed, looks like they may have succeeded if you guys are throwing in the towel. Just sayin'.
Using their own argument, one could choose to simply not read this thread too if they are over it.

Reactions: tm3
One could choose to simply not read this thread too if they are over it.
A simple, equitable solution that works for all.

Those who have heard enough can choose to ignore the thread.

Those who would like to continue reading/discussing can choose to continue.

Group A does not mandate what group B is allowed to do, or not do, and vice versa.

I don't think we should close the thread just as the Techno-Capitalism is starting to happen.

As I posted before, UkeTalk forum is visible to any internet user on the planet. A 10 page thread about a company is going to get hits from vendors regular customers they will join the UU Guest community to see what is happening, and it is inevitable that a few happy customers of a business that has many happy customers is going to join UU to respond to criticism of their favourite vendor. Just as we think its OK to maintain anonymity to criticise the vendor, we can't really complain about people who maintain anonymity to support a vendor. If you like anonymity in your Techno-Capitalism, it goes both ways.

A UU member is a UU member whether they have 0 posts or 5000 posts, they are allowed to express an opinion if they keep to the rules of UU. it is a very simple forum to join, which is great, and I really see no problem with anyone joining to take part in a discussion that is of interest to them, if they follow the rules. I do not think we should close a thread just as some opposing views are being expressed within the rules of UU.

This has been an illuminating thread, a lot of discussion which may be helpful to ukulele buyers even if some of the claims have little credibility because they are not supported by hard evidence.

I suspect that even if the thread is closed, it is actually going to get a lot more subscribes for the ULTP channels because despite a few glitches and the initial reaction to the front guy, if you watch a few of the videos just for some content, he is not really all that nasty or bad. He has a passion for his ukuleles which shows through, and his organisation offers a wide range of services and products, well beyond what you can find on Amazon for example. There is something of interest to most ukulele owners in the body of work that is his content dating from 2015. I am not ever likely to buy anything from his shop, but I have subscribed to his YouTube videos because of the content. But I have also subscribed to several other ukulele shops and artists as well, there is an amazing variety of good content at the moment.

So I do not support closing the thread. If you have comments which are not meant to stand the test of time, just delete them, which is what I have done. Interesting comments are often quoted so they are not lost, but you can delete your posts, its OK. If the thread is closed, no-one can add to it, but also you can't delete the posts you no longer want to have visible.
Good points...but if one is not willing to stand behind their words when made anonymously, and will just delete their posts later (delete, not edit), are those posts worth making in the first place?

Last edited:
I don't think we should close the thread just as the Techno-Capitalism is starting to happen.

As I posted before, UkeTalk forum is visible to any internet user on the planet. A 10 page thread about a company is going to get hits from vendors regular customers they will join the UU Guest community to see what is happening, and it is inevitable that a few happy customers of a business that has many happy customers is going to join UU to respond to criticism of their favourite vendor. Just as we think its OK to maintain anonymity to criticise the vendor, we can't really complain about people who maintain anonymity to support a vendor. If you like anonymity in your Techno-Capitalism, it goes both ways.

A UU member is a UU member whether they have 0 posts or 5000 posts, they are allowed to express an opinion if they keep to the rules of UU. it is a very simple forum to join, which is great, and I really see no problem with anyone joining to take part in a discussion that is of interest to them, if they follow the rules. I do not think we should close a thread just as some opposing views are being expressed within the rules of UU.

This has been an illuminating thread, a lot of discussion which may be helpful to ukulele buyers even if some of the claims have little credibility because they are not supported by hard evidence.

I suspect that even if the thread is closed, it is actually going to get a lot more subscribes for the ULTP channels because despite a few glitches and the initial reaction to the front guy, if you watch a few of the videos just for some content, he is not really all that nasty or bad. He has a passion for his ukuleles which shows through, and his organisation offers a wide range of services and products, well beyond what you can find on Amazon for example. There is something of interest to most ukulele owners in the body of work that is his content dating from 2015. I am not ever likely to buy anything from his shop, but I have subscribed to his YouTube videos because of the content. But I have also subscribed to several other ukulele shops and artists as well, there is an amazing variety of good content at the moment.

So I do not support closing the thread. If you have comments which are not meant to stand the test of time, just delete them, which is what I have done. Interesting comments are often quoted so they are not lost, but you can delete your posts, its OK. If the thread is closed, no-one can add to it, but also you can't delete the posts you no longer want to have visible.
Anyone is entitled to express their opinion, whether it's for or against ULTP and their business practices, but those posts by new members are worthless. Just ad hominem attacks against anyone who dare criticise ULTP. Zero substance. Most probably Terry's followers who managed to find the thread and got their jimmies rustled. I would gladly see well written posts arguing for Terry's antics but these ain't them.

That said, I don't really care whether this thread is closed or not. These nonsense posts probably just bring more attention to this thread warning about ULTP.

Anyone is entitled to express their opinion, whether it's for or against ULTP and their business practices, but those posts by new members are worthless. Just ad hominem attacks against anyone who dare criticise ULTP. Zero substance. Most probably Terry's followers who managed to find the thread and got their jimmies rustled. I would gladly see well written posts arguing for Terry's antics but these ain't them.

That said, I don't really care whether this thread is closed or not. These nonsense posts probably just bring more attention to this thread warning about ULTP.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom