Uke class question: I'd like to hear from other teachers, if possible.

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
LONG NAILS. The bane of my existence, and will probably be for the next 30 years, as long as I continue teaching this class. Class is going great, we can fingerpick the C scale, and over the last two classes, I introduced 1 and 2 finger chords, in the order of: C, Am, F, C7, A7, G6, Hawaiian D7. Up until learning two finger chords, long nails weren't too big of an issue. I even addressed the class, saying if you have long nails, pretty soon this class is gonna get a LOT harder for you.
I am all for beautiful long nails, but they impede the student's ability to satisfactorily progress in my class. I spoke with my principal to see if any other fellow teachers (guitar, ukulele, etc.) had dealt with this same issue. I understand it's a sensitive gender issue, however, you can't have long fake nails and play volleyball, etc. You will physically be unable to play G6, D7, have a rough time with F, not even mentioning Bb down the road. My kids are proving to be fast learners, however I don't want to leave them in the dust, but I just don't know how much clearer I can get about the long nails. I hope this doesn't come across rant-ish, but in all of my classes, there are hills that I will die on in terms of musical literacy and foundational blocks, (solfège in choir, hand placement in piano, and thumb placement in ukulele.) I wish you could keep your $100 nails, learn ukulele, and pass my class, but I won't water down my instruction for a reason that is your choice.

Any suggestions for going foward?

What grade level is this? I battled it more with guitar students than uke but it's the same issue. Parents have to be in the loop and realize that their child can't earn a satisfactory grade or more importantly experience the joy of learning an instrument if they have long nails. It's a bummer as a teacher because you have to convince kids uke is worth learning even if they sacrifice their nails. It's basically the kid who refuses to dress out for P.E..

So...have you had any parents adamant that their left-handed child needs a left-handed uke?

High school, grades 9-12. I have had no kids request left handed ukulele's so I'm safe on that front. I don't mind restringing one if need be, but haven't gotten to that bridge yet.

I’m a lefty. When I bought my first uke I was adamant that I’d be flipping it over. The salesman said playing “right” was advantageous for a lefty because your dominant hand lets you do more complex fretboard stuff much easier.

Took me nearly 20 years to accept that he was correct, and now I play “right.”

I have not taught a uke class, but have taught many individual students (guitar, banjo, mandolin and ukulele) at a few local music stores. If a student refused to cut their left hand nails, I would suggest that they take up a different instrument. The biggest resistance came from adults.
As far as restringing an instrument, I would strongly suggest that beginning students learn right-handed, but if a student had already made some progress with a lefty instrument, I would not switch them over. I even had one student with a left-handed F-style mandolin.

ukeclass, you said that you haven't gotten to that bridge yet, but when switching a uke to left handed, the nut might need modification, but the bridge won't likely.;)

I am not a teacher but short nails are a recognized imperative for any fretted instrument like acoustic or classical guitar, mandolin and violin as well. Music needs to be recognized as a discipline with parameters that need to be respected. It does not harm a student to place these reasonable demands upon them and may help them take their music more seriously.

Is this a class that they selected and wish to be in, or a class that they are put into? It may make a difference if they have a strong desire to be there and succeed vs feeling stuck in the class.

I would probably explain how the nails would hurt their ability to play and be clear on your expectations. IF a student chooses not to cut them, perhaps you cannot force them. I would then grade them on their success or lack of it and be clear about why they are struggling.

As the saying goes, You can lead a horse to water......

LONG NAILS

Cut them? You all are a laugh riot! This year, solvents will be required...

One of my 8th graders came back to school with 1 1/2" long acrylic nails. In black. These glued on wonders are a HUGH fad here in CA right now. And there are cheap versions available at the Beauty Product stores. It doesn't have to cost $100 anymore. You can DIY this now.

I'm curious to see what happens when she shows up for her first ukulele class next week. Good luck Mr. Mark!

I haven't started playing with my class yet... so we'll see.

But overly long nails - and I mean raggedy and dirty unkempt nails - is a big issue among our fourth graders. We usually try and talk to their parents.

By fifth grade they get more self conscious and at least trim them for the most part...

By sixth and by seventh, it's shaping and painting them (an activity that more and more male students seem be trying, btw).

And now this. We'll see how it all ends up!

While I get the first three nails on my right hand done in acrylic gel at the nail salon, I wouldn't recommend this unless all other methods (natural nails, Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails...) had failed. The nails on my left hand are kept as short as I can get 'em.

While I get the first three nails on my right hand done in acrylic gel at the nail salon, I wouldn't recommend this unless all other methods (natural nails, Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails...) had failed. The nails on my left hand are kept as short as I can get 'em.
Yes I've seen people's fingernails that have had years of gel nails - it's not a pretty end result under all that glorious acrylic.

But then (and this is TOTALLY off topic) I'll be interested to see what some of these fashionable tattoos that take up so much real estate look like when the bearers reach 70 years old 🤔

Good luck with the students - that sounds like quite a challenge. I personally cannot tolerate long nails, I have my hands in dirt and other nasty things far too regularly to handle anything more than just a simple crescent of nail. If they start getting much beyond my fingertip, I get twitchy.

It seems to be a cultural thing. When I was 12 I was working on construction sites or doing janitorial work. I immediately learned the liability of nails. After you lose your first nail to a piece of splitery wood or a metal pipe, you keep them short. I still have a sort of PTSD about the pain and sound of a nail bending backwards. So stop infantilizing those kids. Put them in a corn or soybean field. That'll take care of their nails and obesity.
Also what about the two-finger E major chord (1X02). It can be a game-changer.

Lastly, I remember stubby nails as being a badge of honor for those of us engaged in music or art. Since we actually used our hands we couldn't afford to let aesthetics dictate our nails. I still remember, Julie, the apple of my eye, with her long piano-playing fingers and nails that looked like remants of an Incan tomb.

I only teach individual ukulele lessons right now, but if I notice that a student STILL has long fretting hand fingernails, I'll just remind them that it's so much easier to finger chords with short nails and that it sounds better. Then, I'll ask if they have good nail clippers at home and/or a cool glass nail file. Then, I'll let them be. They've heard and understand all of the reasons to have short fretting fingernails. Sometimes they'll explain why they keep them long (sometimes it's important to their mom and going to get manicures is a thing that they do together), but usually they say, "I know. They're too long and I need to cut them." I'll usually speak up with a reminder whenever I see that the longs nails are impairing their playing, but I won't harp on it excessively.

When I used to teach a group class/ensemble, there was a young student who had very long manicured nails. She was also the student who needed to practice the most (but didn't). I only mentioned the nails once so as not to embarrass her and because I knew she would never cut them short. Otherwise, I decided to keep the class moving so as to keep the others engaged.

I tell my students pretty much the same. They can have long nails, or they can play a stringed instrument. I think so many of them rebel over this because they can type with long nails. I show them my nails.
Left handed? I tell them the same thing, play right handed, it'll give you an advantage that right handed players don't have. 90% of them comply.

Yes I've seen people's fingernails that have had years of gel nails - it's not a pretty end result under all that glorious acrylic.

But then (and this is TOTALLY off topic) I'll be interested to see what some of these fashionable tattoos that take up so much real estate look like when the bearers reach 70 years old 🤔

Good luck with the students - that sounds like quite a challenge. I personally cannot tolerate long nails, I have my hands in dirt and other nasty things far too regularly to handle anything more than just a simple crescent of nail. If they start getting much beyond my fingertip, I get twitchy.
Me too, I haven't had long nails since I went into nursing. Ripping the ends out of latex gloves proved unsanitary. I think short, painted nails can be attractive. Polish doesn't last long on my right hand though.

Not uke related but …. Years ago in my newspaper days, I once encountered a colleague in the ladies room, running her naked nails under cold water and grimacing in pain. When I asked what was wrong, she said she’d just removed her fake nails, which she wore pretty much 24/7, and when her real nails were able to breathe, they expanded and the result was excruciatingly painful.

This same woman wore 4-inch heels ALL THE TIME! The things women do to themselves. Would my colleague have given up her nails to play music? Not on your life.

Not uke related but …. Years ago in my newspaper days, I once encountered a colleague in the ladies room, running her naked nails under cold water and grimacing in pain. When I asked what was wrong, she said she’d just removed her fake nails, which she wore pretty much 24/7, and when her real nails were able to breathe, they expanded and the result was excruciatingly painful.

This same woman wore 4-inch heels ALL THE TIME! The things women do to themselves. Would my colleague have given up her nails to play music? Not on your life.
I have never been a very girly girl/woman. I find it interesting how it is now popular for my teenage niece and her friends to spend incredible amounts of time and money on skin care and nails. Even those really active in sports. I guess it is better than some things they could be getting into.:rolleyes:

Now that I play uke, I pay more attention to my nails that I ever have before. I am used to cutting all my nails really short and now I have to consciously let my right nails grow out a bit and put nail strengthener on them so that they don’t bend or break.

Top Bottom