Uke and music stands

May I ask where you purchased the Pono Mango Pineapple? I heard there hard to find!

I bought it from Ukulelerob at the Ukulele shop on line back in June. I was looking at one that musicguymic had, but the grain and figure on this one is stunning. This is a concert and to my knowledge, Pono is not making the mango line any more. I changed the strings from the Ko'olau gold to Aquillas and the sound is sweet. That being said, I have my eye on a Pineapple Sunday and may be putting this up for sale.

The uke stands look very elegant. I like them a lot. I think I'd feel safer if the parts supporting the neck had slightly longer arms, but I think they look great.

Personally, I think the music stand looks a little bit bulky, but I love the uke inlays.

Dang DK, very nice. Maybe you should build ukes with skills like that.

Where did your Sceptre go?

Wooden music stand protype idea.

IMG_1868.jpgIMG_1863.jpgIMG_1867.jpg

I've been thinking for a while about making some of these music stands for sale. This was just a prototype I built to test the design. It's made of poplar so it's light, but strong, and is easy to use. Just sit down and slip it over the front edge of the chair between your legs. It folds up and doesn't take up much room. In the production ones the knobs would be plastic. These handcarved ones just aren't worth the extra effort. Also, the stand itself would have some holes routed into it to make it that much lighter. Great to use on hills or uneven ground.

Any thoughts as to if it could find a market?

View attachment 29028View attachment 29030View attachment 29031

I've been thinking for a while about making some of these music stands for sale. This was just a prototype I built to test the design. It's made of poplar so it's light, but strong, and is easy to use. Just sit down and slip it over the front edge of the chair between your legs. It folds up and doesn't take up much room. In the production ones the knobs would be plastic. These handcarved ones just aren't worth the extra effort. Also, the stand itself would have some holes routed into it to make it that much lighter. Great to use on hills or uneven ground.

Any thoughts as to if it could find a market?

Neat idea, but I think it would get in the way more than it would help. (I tend to cross and uncross my legs alot.)

And it looks like it would be awkward to place with one hand when setting up with music on the "stand" (assuming uke in one hand :) )

also make sure you use strong enough plastic.

Just my 2cents.

JT

Thanks for the input. It would still be all wood, the knobs would just change from handcarved wood to store bought, pre-made plastic knobs. For the time investment in making the wooden ones, store bought is the way to go when producing them to sell at a fair good price. I wanted to target somewhere in the $35-40 range, but wasn't sure what the market for custom made, folding, wooden music stands would be (or if there was a market.) With a normal music stand I tended to end up kicking the music stand and knocking off music when I would cross my legs, so this helped me to break that habit. Easy enough to take on and off the chair too.

Where did your Sceptre go?

Ha Ha. Those photos were taken almost 2 years ago. All of those ukes are gone except for the Kanilea superconcert. The sceptre is a more recent aquisition.

With a normal music stand I tended to end up kicking the music stand and knocking off music when I would cross my legs, so this helped me to break that habit. Easy enough to take on and off the chair too.
Your stand is certainly different, but personally I don't think I'd like it.

If you need to get up for various distractions (like if the phone or doorbell are ringing or you have to attend to something in the kitchen), you either have to un-straddle it or take it off, which could prove awkward.

Those flimsy folding portable stands are what they are. Sometimes a necessary evil for on the go.

But at home the stand I use most is a Belmonte like this (mine's white). I won it in a raffle at a local music store maybe 15 years ago. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0EBYHXY4YM7W0MMMS4M7

It's really sturdy and doesn't knock over easily, the lip on the desk is 2" deep and can hold a lot of weight with no sagging. The height is adjustable to being comfortable sitting down or standing up.

I have a nice carved oak stand that sits in the closet, as it's not as versatile as the Belmonte. :)

Top Bottom