Ubass amp volume

Edspyhill05

Reaction score
Went to a ukulele meetup today and the ubass amp volume overpowered most of the acoustic ukuleles. I could barely hear my own uke. Plus the guy was constantly noodling between songs. Anyone else finding ubass amp volume overpowering the acoustic ukuleles?

Ed

When my group started playing together outdoors after covid, me and another member would trade off playing bass uke from week to week. We always stay very conscious of the volume we use to not overpower anyone. Contrary to that, one of the members invited a bass player, a "pro" supposedly, and asked me and the leader if it would be OK, he'll be careful not to step on anyone's toes. Well, when he got there, he brought this giant acoustic bass and equally as big bass amp, then proceeded to play so loud, I couldn't hear my own bass, and I was was on the opposite side of the sandwich shop large patio area. So much for not stepping on anyone.

Afterwards he came over to me and the leader, thanking us for letting him sit in. I was actually rather peeved, but didn't say anything since our leader praised him. A couple of weeks later he came back when I was playing bass again. This time instead of trying to compete with him, I faked playing, and yes, he overpowered everyone again. When he came over to me and the leader, I said, "you're a better bass player than me." His response was, "Oh no, I was following your lead." So much for honesty too. It was very obvious that he couldn't give a crap about anyone else. Glad to say he never showed up again.

Last edited:
I play electric bass with several ukulele groups & make it a point NOT to drown out the ukuleles. After all, they are ukulele groups, not bass groups.

He could be new to playing an electric instrument in a group because the volume control gives you so much power compared to an acoustic instrument.

Someone has to tell that guy to turn down the volume. I’m not shy about telling electric ukulele or guitar players to turn down their amps if the are playing waaaay too loud. (I’d do it if I were wherever you are.)

Last edited:
Update: I went back to the same group today and the same ubass player was there playing loud. He plays fills and runs and riffs like he is Stanley Clarke. There were 10 uke players and the ukes were drowned out.

I talked with the leader but he doesn't have an issue with bass volume he is plugged into an amp and I think they are friends. To bad he isn't a I - V player.

No one else is complaining. So I'll assume it is just my problem and I'll stop going to this group.

I can see why band members become enemies.

Don’t think I’d want to play with that group either. Surprising that the other ukulele players haven’t raised the issue with the overpowering bass player.

Hope you have other groups to play with.

I play bass for our group. I‘ve found it works best to start with a too low volume and wait up for the ukulele players to ask for more bass volume. Admittedly this was entirely by accident, as I’m still new to the bass and I was terrified of playing some bad notes at a very noticeable volume.

In this case, someone in the group needs to just tell the bass player to turn it down. Either they will be contrite, or be offended and not come back. With way, problem solved.

Great discussion! If I may, I'd like to focus on the other aspect mentioned by Ed in his kickoff post-- the "constant noodling in between songs."
That's something that has always driven me crazy, whether it's being done by the bass player or a keyboard, uke, or guitar player.

I have played in many different configurations of bands throughout the last 53 years (most notably with my three wonderful brothers from 1970 to 1986), and I've always tried to stress to my bandmates that 1) the first audible notes that the audience hears for the evening should be the first notes/chords... of the first song... of the first set; and 2) there should be no doodling in between songs or otherwise "giving away" each successive song as we make our way thru the list.

Regarding the first point, I've always felt that once patrons have begun to gather, it's time to limit the handling of instruments to a quick check of tuning-- but I very much do NOT like it when a bandmate or two start audibly "running thru" some tune five minutes before start time, especially if it's a tune that's not on our list, such that they don't really know it well, and just sort of wing it for a minute or so, and then stop. To me, that takes away from the excitement of striking the first chord of the first actual song to start the actual performance. One time in particular, as we completed our setup process in a bar setting, a popular song came over the "house" radio speakers, and our bass player proceeded to play along with it, thru his amp, all the way thru, and honestly I found that to be cringe-worthy.

Regarding the second point, I'm always disappointed when a bandmate starts audibly "spot-checking" a signature riff from the song that we're about to do next. I used to tell our other guitar player, "Please, don't give the song away!"

Well, I'm tempted to add here the now-predictable expression... "Now, get off my lawn !!!" But seriously, I dearly love all of the people involved, but it just seems to me that a performance can be diminished by band members' tendency to fidget.

I play bass for our group. I‘ve found it works best to start with a too low volume and wait up for the ukulele players to ask for more bass volume.
This was my strategy when I was playing an amplified bass... better to have the reputation as the guy who needs to be asked to turn it up... rather than the opposite...

Don’t think I’d want to play with that group either. Surprising that the other ukulele players haven’t raised the issue with the overpowering bass player.

Hope you have other groups to play with.
There are 1 or 2 more but an hour drive each way.

I am playing with a uke group at the South Wayne Porchfest this Sunday, 9/24, located in the NW suburbs of Philadelphia. The variety of bands, styles, genres is interesting.

Top Bottom