Tricking muscle memory

slwbrn55

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a six string bass tuned B, E,A,D G C, I got it for a challenge and for a wider tonal range when recording .so my problem comes down to muscle memory I've played a four string bass for over 35 yrs . So when I get into a groove my hands just do what they been taught to do so now when I'm playing the six I'll go for a note on the E and land on the B or reach the tonic on the g an land the c . So here's my question other than the usual practice does anyone have any exercises or tricks to stop doing this , it is an unconscious type of action so I know repetitive action works just looking for the right repetitive action as I have to use my practice time I have wisely .thanks ahead for any help and ideas .

Muscle memory comes from repetitive action, so practice would be the only way to make it happen. The problem is, when you play one of your 4 strings, you'll be fighting that too. I started playing bass uke 10 years ago, and with strong GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), I went through 54 from 20.5" to 24.5" scale, including one fretless, holding onto 31 for years.

It didn't take me long to realize the fretless was too difficult, having to use a different position, so I let it go. I also decided last year that between nerve damage to my neck, and the awkwardness of switching to different scales, I would settle on one 21" scale that was most comfortable to play, so I let go of all the others, but still enjoying GAS, I'm up to ten of those that I have modified to look different from each other.

I make enough mistakes while playing with my group, that I don't need any variation in the physical makeup of the bass to add to it.

I familiar with repition ,I'm a multi instrumentalist Andover the last 40 yrs I've put alot of time intoneach instrument I play , but I get what you're saying . I will probably only use the six in the studio and have contemplated modify it tontakevstandsrdvtuning E ADGBE one octave lower to compansate because I have less time these days ( 6 kids 4 in college 2 in h.s. ) so I'm just going make the six a learn by noodling thing I guess Im hoping for an easy way around .but thanks and I'm glad you found your ideal setup and everyone makes mistakes but as long as your playing that's all that matters .✌️👍

Top Bottom