Thinking about getting a baritone

Blank Williams

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a modestly priced baritone that plays and sounds decent. Not looking for high end as I’m more looking to see if I even like baritones. Unfortunately I’ll have to buy online without trying first so I’d like to hear from people who have actually had experience with this potential baritone. Thanks!

Great question. I’ve owned 7 different baritones. from $35 - $1500. That includes a steel string and an 8 string. The best I’ve found for the money is an Ohana 70rb. Its in the $300 price range. It punches way above its price, imho. It also works well as a tenor when capo’ed at the 5th fret. Just played it for an hour this morning…..it’s got some mojo.

There‘s several good bari’s out there and it seems like interest is growing in it so I expect more to hit the market. I like the sound of the vintage ukes, but most of them need extra work to make them playable. My $35 uke falls in this category. Found it at goodwill. It’s a nice beater. Got some string buzz, but does well with the blues.

Welcome aboard the bari band wagon!

Last edited:
Two businesses that have carried Ohana's for many years ( spoken to validate their quality and popularity ) are Aloha City (Chicago) and Uke Republic (Atlanta) . Both have a current (March 2023) limited stock of baritones AND both do setups as part of the sale (i.e. no additional charges added for the service). While I haven't purchased a baritone from them, I have purchased from both and recommend highly. While Amazon Marketplace has some offerings, there's no mentions of any Q/A or setup. Elderly Instruments also carries Ohana and three other brands of baritone. I've not done business with them, but they have an outstanding reputation. All three are 'family businesses' with really good reputations in the US.

I've owned an entry level Kala, purchased directly from Kala. It lacked a basic setup, and although was well made and nice appearance, it got little play with some setup flaws. I've owned Pono's "entry" level ( $400-500 ) and was sufficiently pleased enough to purchase two other Pono baritones at twice the price - very satisfied. Sold and full setup by HMS.

Websites of the three Ohana dealers mentioned:
ukerepublic.com
alohacityukes.com
elderly.com

Finally, there are a number of baritones listed on Reverb. I've made two purchases there, both from instrument businesses (not individuals) and have been pleased with all aspects of the sale. In both instances I contacted the seller first to see what setup/quality checks they performed. They were very responsive. That was important because many many Reverb sellers do NOT take returns.

I love my Mainland Cedar/Rosewood baritone and the price/value is excellent.

Two businesses that have carried Ohana's for many years ( spoken to validate their quality and popularity ) are Aloha City (Chicago) and Uke Republic (Atlanta) . Both have a current (March 2023) limited stock of baritones AND both do setups as part of the sale (i.e. no additional charges added for the service). While I haven't purchased a baritone from them, I have purchased from both and recommend highly. While Amazon Marketplace has some offerings, there's no mentions of any Q/A or setup. Elderly Instruments also carries Ohana and three other brands of baritone. I've not done business with them, but they have an outstanding reputation. All three are 'family businesses' with really good reputations in the US.

I've owned an entry level Kala, purchased directly from Kala. It lacked a basic setup, and although was well made and nice appearance, it got little play with some setup flaws. I've owned Pono's "entry" level ( $400-500 ) and was sufficiently pleased enough to purchase two other Pono baritones at twice the price - very satisfied. Sold and full setup by HMS.

Websites of the three Ohana dealers mentioned:
ukerepublic.com
alohacityukes.com
elderly.com

Finally, there are a number of baritones listed on Reverb. I've made two purchases there, both from instrument businesses (not individuals) and have been pleased with all aspects of the sale. In both instances I contacted the seller first to see what setup/quality checks they performed. They were very responsive. That was important because many many Reverb sellers do NOT take returns.
I like the Pono baritones very much. I’ve bought mine thru The Uke Site and always have them set up. Kala and Ohana make good baritones but I don’t own any. If you want to spend the money, my first choice is a spruce top, koa sides and back Kanile’a. I got a good used Kamaka from The Marketplace. Have fun🎶

Being on this journey for about 18 months I would recommend checking the websites of those mentioned above who do quality setups seeing what is in your price range and narrow it down by listening to every video clip you can of those choices.

I know you said buy online, but If you can get to a store reasonably close that have at least one baritone go put it in your hands and decide if baritone is the right uke for you before buying the one that sings to you.

Actually try one first and if it has that special feel like it did for me then do your online shopping. Don't hesitate to call or email Aloha, HMS, Mainland, or Uke Republic. I asked questions of each and they were really helpful.

Let's us know what you decide.

Last edited:
I like the Pono baritones very much. I’ve bought mine thru The Uke Site and always have them set up. Kala and Ohana make good baritones but I don’t own any. If you want to spend the money, my first choice is a spruce top, koa sides and back Kanile’a. I got a good used Kamaka from The Marketplace. Have fu I would absolutely love to try a Kamaka baritone, but that’s probably a bit out of my budget
Being on this journey for about 18 months I would recommend checking the websites of those mentioned above who do quality setups seeing what is in your price range and narrow it down by listening to every video clip you can of those choices.

I know you said buy online, but If you can get to a store reasonably close that have at least one baritone go put it in your hands and decide if baritone is the right uke for you before buying the one that sings to you.

Actually try one first and if it has that special feel like it did for me then do your online shopping. Don't hesitate to call or email Aloha, HMS, Mainland, or Uke Republic. I asked questions of each and they were really helpful.

Let's us know what you decide.
I’ve only played a baritone once and pretty briefly, but I liked it for the short time I tried it.

Have a look at Noah Ukuleles. I still have to do anNUF listing for Baritone I bought from Matt. Really good quality, solid wood and under 300. Phil Doleman has a series of videos on the Noah Baritone. Great stuff.

Have a look at Noah Ukuleles. I still have to do anNUF listing for Baritone I bought from Matt. Really good quality, solid wood and under 300. Phil Doleman has a series of videos on the Noah Baritone. Great stuff.
Thanks I’ll look into those

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and bought the cheapest Baritone available to me; a Mahalo Java series:

It is an acoustic electric and has a built-in tuner to boot and cost me ~$99.

It is surprisingly great quality for the price and actually outperforms some that cost more.
I bought a baritone 3 times its cost made of solid mahogany, but I ended up returning it because the Mahalo was better than it.

If they're available around you and the price is right, definitely worth checking out.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and bought the cheapest Baritone available to me; a Mahalo Java series:

It is an acoustic electric and has a built-in tuner to boot and cost me ~$99.

It is surprisingly great quality for the price and actually outperforms some that cost more.
I bought a baritone 3 times its cost made of solid mahogany, but I ended up returning it because the Mahalo was better than it.

If they're available around you and the price is right, definitely worth checking out.
Thanks I’ll check those out!

Top Bottom