There are just 70 pre-overthrow era ukulele left worldwide. This collector owns half.

man0a

Reaction score
Instruments similar to the modern ukulele were first built in Hawaii in 1879. The Kingdom of Hawaii was overthrown by American immigrants (with the assistance of the US Navy) in 1893. Culturally, this is a very important time period in Hawaiian history. There are reportedly 70 ukuleles built during the 1879-1893 time period that are known to still exist. Shawn Yacavone, owner of the Ukulele Friend business, owns half of them. Hawaii News Now (a TV news program) posted a 5 minute video interview with him today.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/...lele-left-worldwide-this-collector-owns-half/

Last edited:
“It’s important to me to repatriate these back to Hawaii, have them restored to playable order, and to share the sound and experience of playing and hearing a Hawaiian kingdom-era ukulele,” he said. “Many of the instruments likely not been back in Hawaii since the time of the overthrow.”

Perhaps he could give them to aspiring young players in Hawaii to allow this to happen? That would be as good PR for his business.

Perhaps he could give them to aspiring young players in Hawaii to allow this to happen? That would be as good PR for his business.
That's kinda what he does with the sound samples, and sounds like what he is or will be doing with the Hawaii state archives. Not sure giving away priceless artifacts/historical pieces makes sense. BTW, I'm not sure his store is his main job, but could be wrong on that. Didn't realize there were so few kingdom ukulele left...kinda sad.

That's kinda what he does with the sound samples, and sounds like what he is or will be doing with the Hawaii state archives. Not sure giving away priceless artifacts/historical pieces makes sense. BTW, I'm not sure his store is his main job, but could be wrong on that. Didn't realize there were so few kingdom ukulele left...kinda sad.
I agree with this. This is exactly the reason he is working to create an ukulele library with the state archives. TV reports are always limited for time, but the Hawaii state archives project has been mentioned in this forum at least a couple of times before.

Top Bottom