Pre-made necks on Amazon

belbenisa

Reaction score
I recently purchased these necks on Amazon to make some cheap banjoleles to sell at local craft fairs. They were $12-$14, so I thought it was worth a try for a neck and fretted fingerboard. 20230926_145419.jpg
I bought them from two different sellers concert and tenors from one and sopranos another. The concert and tenor necks were better than what I expected. The soprano necks were junk. They are very roughly made of poor wood. One was missing a fret, but that doesn't matter because the scale is completely off. I tried to contact the seller, but was told my problem was too technical and they needed to contact their supplier. This went back and forth so I finally stated that they were, "broken and missing parts." I was offered a partial refund. However, when I checked on the refund I was told by Amazon that the seller was no longer part of Amazon.

The soprano necks were junk. They are very roughly made of poor wood. One was missing a fret, but that doesn't matter because the scale is completely off. I tried to contact the seller, but was told my problem was too technical and they needed to contact their supplier. This went back and forth so I finally stated that they were, "broken and missing parts." I was offered a partial refund. However, when I checked on the refund I was told by Amazon that the seller was no longer part of Amazon.
How frustrating!!

I'm glad at least that the tenor and concert necks were ok. I'm really interested to see what you build for that target market, that's cool!

I haven't bought anything from Amazon in a long time. The "Associate Seller" crap leaves a transaction wide open for problems like the OP's. Even my last "sold by Amazon" buy required a simple refund that took forever. The unopened sealed package showed it wouldn't do as advertised.

I recently purchased these necks on Amazon to make some cheap banjoleles to sell at local craft fairs. They were $12-$14, so I thought it was worth a try for a neck and fretted fingerboard. View attachment 158766
I bought them from two different sellers concert and tenors from one and sopranos another. The concert and tenor necks were better than what I expected. The soprano necks were junk. They are very roughly made of poor wood. One was missing a fret, but that doesn't matter because the scale is completely off. I tried to contact the seller, but was told my problem was too technical and they needed to contact their supplier. This went back and forth so I finally stated that they were, "broken and missing parts." I was offered a partial refund. However, when I checked on the refund I was told by Amazon that the seller was no longer part of Amazon.
I've bought a few of them for cheap builds, but I guess I was lucky. Of course, these weren't finished beautifully, but I have sandpaper. 😊

If you compare that with shaping a block of mahogany, cutting out the fretboard and then cutting slots and inserting frets, it's a no-brainer for a basic uke.

I've bought a few of them for cheap builds, but I guess I was lucky. Of course, these weren't finished beautifully, but I have sandpaper. 😊

If you compare that with shaping a block of mahogany, cutting out the fretboard and then cutting slots and inserting frets, it's a no-brainer for a basic uke.
I agree. I've used them on 'fun' projects with no trouble at all but I always carefully measure and examine them first to avoid disappointment.

Top Bottom