The ultimate banjo uke

PTOEguy

Reaction score
So I've been dabbling in banjo ukes for a while - I had a Firefly, then a Deering and now a Gold Tone Little Gem.

I like to play 1920s jazz/dixieland/ragtime style and I'm starting to think that I'd like to get the ultimate banjo uke. The one I hang onto and play forever. In part this was driven by trying out some different four-string banjos and actually purchasing a 1920s Bacon and Day Silver Bell plectrum banjo. The Bacon and Day is a serious instrument with a focus and power that leads me to believe I'd like to try out a banjo uke with a tone ring and resonator.

Does anyone have an observations regarding high-end banjo ukes? I'm looking at the Gold Tone Delux, all kinds of 1920s banjo ukes with resonators, and I'm intrigued by the Spanky banjo ukes I've seen.

Are you looking at steel strung banjo ukes? Or the more common Nylon, Fluoro, Synthetic strung models?

While I like my Deering Goodtime Tenor, it doesn't have the same tone/timbre or volume as a banjo with steel strings.

Are you looking at steel strung banjo ukes? Or the more common Nylon, Fluoro, Synthetic strung models?

While I like my Deering Goodtime Tenor, it doesn't have the same tone/timbre or volume as a banjo with steel strings.
I'm looking at nylagut/flourocarbon strung banjo ukes. Although I've been thinking about taking my plectrum banjo, using chicago tuning (same as baritone uke tuning - DGBE) and putting a capo on the 5th fret. Should sound pretty good, but there is a certain lack of portability when you start with a standard banjo neck on a 12-14 lb. banjo...

I'm looking for something with an old-time jazz/dixieland feel, kind of shading towards George Formby - most Formby folks use vintage banjo ukes with a resonator and probably a tone ring - should be a much more focused sound than the Deering.

I think the ultimate in banjoukes are the vintage Gibsons and the Southern Cross, which are no longer built. I use a Gold Tone concert scale, it's unremarkable, but it was cheap, and does the job. I haven't tried it with an amp yet.

anngrante,​

as far as your setup, make sure the bridge is positioned correctly, and that the head adjusting screws aren't loose. i would suggest restringing the lo D string to a high d, you'll like the sound better, I think.
If it doesn't have an armrest, you'll want one. I bit the bullet and spent 55.00 for one and put it on.

Corey Mohan has a relatively rare Dayton banjo uke for sale over at Fleamarket Music’s ads. It looks and sounds great.

I play George Formby style and my daily player is a 1927 Ludwig Wendell Hall, a great uke. Other suggestions are Ludwig Crown,Gibson (UB2 or 3), and Monarch Abbot in the vintage range, and Cartwright for modern day copies of the aforementioned vintage ukes. You´ll find many great banjo ukes for sale on Andy Eastwoods website. Also, you´ll want to use nylon strings and not flurocarbon on these ukes for the sound you are looking for.
Cheers
Gary

I am surprised no one has mentioned Beansprout Instruments. Arron Klein is a custom builder who started off making banjo ukes, then moved to Mya Moe and when they sold off their business he started his own custom built ukulele business. He is a great player, teacher, musician and builder of high quality instruments

I've heard great things about "The Gibson" UB-2 ukulele-banjo. One of those legendary instruments that may or may not live up to the hype.

In the category of another thread-“somebody please buy this”, I recently saw this one.
I have not ventured to the banjo uke, but this is a nicely built vintage one.

I will admit, it is tempting

I have played one Gibson that I really loved.

It's hard to tell though. You never know what a banjo uke sounds like until you replace the vellum. I may have already played the ultimate banjo uke and thought it sounded awful.

Top Bottom