The Ukulele (not a word) Game

Yup same. I would love to try a cocobolo tenor, a mango soprano, a real koa soprano, a Sacco soprano, cedar top tenors with different sides & backs, I'm so curious about the yew wood ukuleles... but I don't have an end all and be all uke (yet!) that I know of.
I agree. When viewing the UkeSA webpage yesterday, I became unexpectedly enamored by the humble, non-exotic pine sides, back and neck on the original-Pops-designed Harmony Wow soprano. I realize it's cheap and common when compared to the Engelmann spruce soundboard but IMHO the clear-of-knots pine grain is gorgeous in a plain, honest, uncomplicated way.

Last edited:
I agree. I became unexpectedly enamored by humble pine (sides, back and neck) on the original-Pops-designed Harmony Wow soprano on the UkeSA webpage yesterday. I realize it's nothing compared to the Engelmann spruce soundboard but IMHO its grain is gorgeous in a plain, honest, uncomplicated way.
Oh yes I'd love to try a Pop's WOW soprano! It's such a simple, beautiful looking instrument.

If funds are unlimited, then I would put some of those funds toward a plane ticket to both Hawaii and England (SUS) and try out all the instruments I can for two or three weeks. I might find my perfect uke then. Same idea as @SurferJay

Last edited:
My ultimate covet is a Moore Bettah tenor. One with the palm tree inlay on the headstock. Or other simple less blingy inlay. All koa or Spruce/Rosewood.

One that Chuck Moore says that he particularly likes the sound that the tenor makes.

That is my dream tenor if funds were no object.

My ultimate covet is a Moore Bettah tenor. One with the palm tree inlay on the headstock. Or other simple less blingy inlay. All koa or Spruce/Rosewood.

One that Chuck Moore says that he particularly likes the sound that the tenor makes.

That is my dream tenor if funds were no object.
My earlier response should by all rights have read “Mo Bettah or Barron River”. It was thoughtless and shortsighted of me to have neglected to include Chuck’s fabulous builds in my wish list.

Yup same. I would love to try a cocobolo tenor, a mango soprano, a real koa soprano, a Sacco soprano, cedar top tenors with different sides & backs, I'm so curious about the yew wood ukuleles... but I don't have an end all and be all uke (yet!) that I know of.
I am fortunate to own or moved on: a Mya Moe mango soprano (likely to sell soon), a KoAloha pikake soprano, a Sacco soprano, and a WOW Harmony soprano. I moved them on as I acquired another and expect to end up with a Barron River and a Pops AO. They are/were all excellent ukuleles, but I am hoping the BR has excellent tone and sustain for chord melody. Most sopranos are great strumming ukuleles.

I am hoping the BR is my final "serious" ukulele acquisition. It will have a huon pine soundboard and Australian blackwood sides and back.

I am fortunate to own or moved on: a Mya Moe mango soprano (likely to sell soon), a KoAloha pikake soprano, a Sacco soprano, and a WOW Harmony soprano. I moved them on as I acquired another and expect to end up with a Barron River and a Pops AO. They are/were all excellent ukuleles, but I am hoping the BR has excellent tone and sustain for chord melody. Most sopranos are great strumming ukuleles.

I am hoping the BR is my final "serious" ukulele acquisition. It will have a huon pine soundboard and Australian blackwood sides and back.
Yeah I'd need an excellent fingerstyle soprano if money were no object.

Just noticed how old this thread is 🙄😂
It’s a good thread, so that’s ok! I get a kick out of seeing people’s replies.

(Since I got my Martin, I no longer have UAS. So, I guess that’s The One… at least for now.)

I'll play (again)...Blackbird Clara.
and I don't already own one.

Last edited:
@Orra thanks for bumping and @rainbow21 thanks for starting. I was surpised to see that I had replied back in December of last year, which was very early in my ukulele adventure. I had maybe one or two lessons, I hadn't played a tenor yet, and I had only recently found UU.

Things have changed quite a bit since then. I have tried many more ukuleles; bought some, and returned or donated some. I found a good teacher and have continued weekly lessons. I've gravitated toward playing and arranging fingerstyle, primarily low-G with a mild bias toward standards and classical. There are all sorts of ukuleles I would still love to try, but I don't feel like I am still searching as hard. At least I am not as distracted by the thought of a new ukulele. While I can't say there is a cure for UAS, I can say that currently I have three instruments that I adore: a Pops Okami Concert, a matching Pops Soprano, and a KoAloha KTM tenor. I think in terms of The Ones rather than The One. I play all three instruments regularly, but right now the concert is getting the most playing time.

A KoAloha Black Label Tenor

If one popped up on TUS and I had unlimited funds it would get put in the cart and bought. If I had an order in to KoAloha I would want to talk to them about a Black Label, tell them my preferences and likes and get their input before making choices. I would like some type of nice and unique fret markers that are tasteful .

Here is an example of one that would make it into my unlimited funds shopping cart

Great choice! I now want one too!!

"If I had a million dollars..."

Definitely I'd be buying Rich's BR soprano and StumptownUke's Beansprout soprano. There are others. Those are just the two burning a hole in my brain at the moment.

Good thing I don't actually have any UAS funds, lol. Plus, really, I am so delighted with my Baby Bird that I am no longer driven about it any more. This is more about the "oooh, look at the pretty, and I love that builder's work" kind of thing. And, because I was in Australia for a chunk of time in my 20's, I would adore to own a BR with some lovely Aus native hardwoods.

Top Bottom