The Enya Nova Pro tenor...just wow

baconsalad

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know I'm far from the first to say this but holy hell is this uke surprising. I just got one for about hundred bucks usd on sale (145 Canadian peso). I have a litter of Nova sopranos and know how they punch well above their weight but the tenor is something else. The diadarrio crystals on it are a little hard for my taste but It projects like crazy. It only needed a little lowering of the action to suit me so the crystals can stay. Tone isn't super complex but the sustain and projection are fantastic. The neck width is great for fingerstyle. The metal frets are super well done. I can't believe how far from just a beater/beginner uke this is.

I love mine.

For the money it is an absolute bargain. If you are patient and wait for a holiday, ENYA always puts them on sale. I got the tenor for a friend at Christmas for $94 to take on a cross-country road trip and another as a spare $104 to leave in NY for when I travel there. I wasn't that crazy about the Diadarrio strings. I first put on a set of KoAloha unwound low G and didn't like the G so I installed a wound Fremont Soloist low G and it's great. I plan to lower the action at the saddle a bit but it is very playable right out of the box.

I just want them to make a Concert Pro. I’ve suggested it, but the feedback I have received (which matches with their marketing) is that they have been focusing on their guitar line as of late. That doesn’t mean that they are leaving the ukulele business….but it does make sense that from time to time you need to focus on various parts of your company, particularly when you are a significant manufacturer of instruments!

I had one in my Amazon cart for $98 but it went back to full price before I checked out. I'm watching it ...

You may know about this already, but if not, check out camelcamelcamel dot com. You can enter an Amazon link and your desired price and it will send you an email notification when your desired price is met.

I just want them to make a Concert Pro. I’ve suggested it, but the feedback I have received (which matches with their marketing) is that they have been focusing on their guitar line as of late. That doesn’t mean that they are leaving the ukulele business….but it does make sense that from time to time you need to focus on various parts of your company, particularly when you are a significant manufacturer of instruments!

I wanted the same thing and asked them about that possibility about a year and a half ago. At that time they told me that the cost of re-tooling the mold or whatever was necessary to make it with metal frets was cost prohibitive. :(

@mikelz777 @UkeStuff

Is it that you only want it in the carbon fiber composite with that Les Paul shape? Because they do make the HPL version in a regular wasp-waist/guitar/ukulele shape in both the tenor and concert size. With the metal frets. It is THAT tenor that I had in my Amazon cart. This version:

Enya X1 HPL tenor/concert ukulele

Enya X1 HPL Tenor on Amazon (I don't see the X1 HPL in concert size on Amazon but it MIGHT be there somewhere)

I have the pineapple/soprano version in that HPL and it sounds great. I have the carbon fiber composite Nova Go guitar (3/4 size guitar in that Les Paul shape) and it sounds good as well, so I imagine the ukulele version also sounds good, but it IS sort of heavy for its size. I'm guessing the carbon fiber composite ukes are sorta heavy-ish for the size as well?

Just something to consider...

@mikelz777 @UkeStuff

Is it that you only want it in the carbon fiber composite with that Les Paul shape? Because they do make the HPL version in a regular wasp-waist/guitar/ukulele shape in both the tenor and concert size. With the metal frets. It is THAT tenor that I had in my Amazon cart. This version:

Enya X1 HPL tenor/concert ukulele

Enya X1 HPL Tenor on Amazon (I don't see the X1 HPL in concert size on Amazon but it MIGHT be there somewhere)

I have the pineapple/soprano version in that HPL and it sounds great. I have the carbon fiber composite Nova Go guitar (3/4 size guitar in that Les Paul shape) and it sounds good as well, so I imagine the ukulele version also sounds good, but it IS sort of heavy for its size. I'm guessing the carbon fiber composite ukes are sorta heavy-ish for the size as well?

Just something to consider...
For me it was just wanting a concert sized version of the Enya Nova Pro with metal frets because I liked everything about my concert Nova except the plastic frets which show some wear even after only a few months of play. I really like the thin profile and the black Les Paul shape though I'll never need the cutout, it's just a look for me. I was kind of shocked that it sounded as good as it did for it's price point and for being an all plastic. I got one after a group gathering outdoors in the rain. Even though we were under a pavilion it was windy so my wood uke was getting wet as if you had wet it down with a mister. It's become my wife's uke who was dinging up my solid ukes when she played them.

@mikelz777 Well the X1 HPL tenor isn't going to get you that Les Paul look but as far as weather, it should be able to handle anything the Nova U's/carbon fiber composite versions can handle.

People talk a lot about dunking these, but that's really not a very likely scenario and it would be bad for the tuners, but any sort of rain situation and maybe even a canoe tip type scenario, the HPL ought to handle it just as well. Plus it just might float if you turn over your canoe. Pretty sure the carbon fiber composite versions would sink straight to the bottom.

Anybody want to test that idea out? 😱

I had one in my Amazon cart for $98 but it went back to full price before I checked out. I'm watching it ...
Don't forget about Enya's own site! enya-music.com/collections/ukulele

They are almost always running a sale on something, most items with have a discount once added to cart(even if already on sale) and if you don't live in Texas, no sales tax either.

@Mookulele

Yup. It went on sale for $99 at Enya, and then another $15 off as a "spring sale discount". With tax - because I DO live in Tejas - it came to $92.

On its way. Should be here today or tomorrow, I think. Or maybe Monday. But pretty soon.

I know I'm far from the first to say this but holy hell is this uke surprising. I just got one for about hundred bucks usd on sale (145 Canadian peso). I have a litter of Nova sopranos and know how they punch well above their weight but the tenor is something else. The diadarrio crystals on it are a little hard for my taste but It projects like crazy. It only needed a little lowering of the action to suit me so the crystals can stay. Tone isn't super complex but the sustain and projection are fantastic. The neck width is great for fingerstyle. The metal frets are super well done. I can't believe how far from just a beater/beginner uke this is.

You really can't go wrong with Enya - good product at a good price.

@Mookulele

Yup. It went on sale for $99 at Enya, and then another $15 off as a "spring sale discount". With tax - because I DO live in Tejas - it came to $92.

On its way. Should be here today or tomorrow, I think. Or maybe Monday. But pretty soon.
What color did you get? It looks like they are out of black.

I think you meant Pyewacket, but mine is purple. In person it's more of a lavender-equal parts pale pink and pale purple.
I thought I was asking Pyewacket, but I was interested in knowing what you got too.
I don’t like the white. Purple is pretty but is not really me. The black is a bit austere.

Maybe I will get the black tenor pro then try nice design decals or painting it? I have a black Nova I soprano that I got on sale for $17 last Thankgiving, so I can test out painting on that one before I do the tenor.

What color did you get? It looks like they are out of black.
I got fake woodgrain color - the HPL version. I have the pineapple in HPL as well. Some day I may get the concert version, but not the regular soprana (non pineapple shape). I wish they made a baritone in the HPL. I've also been wishing they would make an actual guitar in the HPL - however apparently they DID but discontinued it. I think it was a dreadnought or close to and probably too big for me - but I would really really like a 3/4 size guitar in HPL with nylon strings (plus a baritone uke).

I'm a fan of not having yet another wooden instrument to maintain, and just get to the playin'.

I thought I was asking Pyewacket, but I was interested in knowing what you got too.
I don’t like the white. Purple is pretty but is not really me. The black is a bit austere.

Maybe I will get the black tenor pro then try nice design decals or painting it? I have a black Nova I soprano that I got on sale for $17 last Thankgiving, so I can test out painting on that one before I do the tenor.
The tenor nova pro is more of a dark grey, not black.

Top Bottom