The bridge on my Mainland appears to be coming off

jango

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that the bridge on my Mainland concert appears to be separating from the body. I'm not sure if it's been like this for a while or if it's a new development. Any thoughts on a repair? I'd like to take care of it before it has the opportunity to come off completely. I'm not sure what glue I would use here either.

bridge.jpg

If you haven't already done so, please unwind the string tension.

I noticed the other day that the bridge on my Mainland concert appears to be separating from the body. I'm not sure if it's been like this for a while or if it's a new development. Any thoughts on a repair? I'd like to take care of it before it has the opportunity to come off completely. I'm not sure what glue I would use here either.
Jango, I'll leave the bridge answer to the experts. Please pardon the departure from your question but what device did you use (and how did you steady it) to take such a perfectly clear, close-up digital photo? The sheer detail and clarity of the string knots, in particular, is great.

Jango, I'll leave the bridge answer to the experts. Please pardon the departure from your question but what device did you use (and how did you steady it) to take such a perfectly clear, close-up digital photo? The sheer detail and clarity of the string knots, in particular, is great.
Not bad, right? I recently upgraded to the iPhone 14 Pro, which has a macro mode.

If you haven't already done so, please unwind the string tension.
I agree - that bridge looks to be on the point of breaking right across the middle. Either that or letting go altogether. It could be dangerous to be near it if/when that happens.

That metal G string probably isn't helping matters any. I'm wondering if it would split in half lengthwise before releasing altogether.

Assuming I can take off the strings without breaking it, what adhesive do you recommend I use to repair the damage?

Assuming I can take off the strings without breaking it, what adhesive do you recommend I use to repair the damage?

What ever kind the luthier you take it to uses...

If you are a DIY type: Titebond 3 would be my choice... assuming you can get the bridge off entirely and clean up the mating surfaces without destroying anything.

This is not a super expensive uke so it might be worth a try... unless you are super attached to it...

Which would bring ME back to option 1...

Like @bbkobabe said, this is not a very expensive ukulele so this will be a DIY job. I have a heat gun to soften the remaining adhesive, clamps, and various instruments of destruction. I'll need to grab some Titebond, if that's what folks recommend. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Incidentally, I was able to take the strings off with no additional damage, however, the nut fell off in the process! An easy fix, but seesh... I guess the adhesive on these things is only good for 9 years.

Bridge removal and reglue was a success. I think the only reason the bridge hadn’t come off completely was because of two tiny nails at the front. I wasn’t able to put the nail back in, but the holes were invaluable in making sure the alignment was correct before gluing.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Some nuts aren't glued.
Some nuts aren't glued.
Bridge removal and reglue was a success. I think the only reason the bridge hadn’t come off completely was because of two tiny nails at the front. I wasn’t able to put the nail back in, but the holes were invaluable in making sure the alignment was correct before gluing.

Thanks for everyone’s help.
I'm no expert but my guess is that this (or worse) will happen again unless you exchange the metal wound low G string for a fluorocarbon/ nylon low G.

Some nuts aren't glued.

I'm no expert but my guess is that this (or worse) will happen again unless you exchange the metal wound low G string for a fluorocarbon/ nylon low G.
Is this a general problem with wound strings, or do you think this uke might be especially prone to issues?

Is this a general problem with wound strings, or do you think this uke might be especially prone to issues?
As I understand it, there is no problem with wound fluorocarbon/ nylon strings. Am I mistaken that the would low-G string in your digital pic was a metal one? If so, the phrase "tight as a banjo string" applies here. Uke necks & bridges generally aren't built to accommodate the tension required to bring a metal wound string up to G. If the G string is not metal, please disregard my earlier post.

As I understand it, there is no problem with wound fluorocarbon/ nylon strings. Am I mistaken that the would low-G string in your digital pic was a metal one? If so, the phrase "tight as a banjo string" applies here. Uke necks & bridges generally aren't built to accommodate the tension required to bring a metal wound string up to G. If the G string is not metal, please disregard my earlier post.
Ah got it. It’s a metal wound Nyglut string from Aquila.

Top Bottom