The Beansprout Owners Thread

TommyG

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Last month DownUpDave made the following suggestion on another thread: "You should start a thread asking for feedback from Beansprout owners. People love to share and it would be valuable or us all." I think it is an excellent suggestion since there are many Beansprout owners here on UU and some own multiple instruments made by Aaron including banjos, banjo ukes and even tenor guitars. I'll start this out by providing the link just posted by Aaron about my new Beansprout tenor. It will not arrive until Friday or Saturday so I have no comments at this time about the instrument itself. I will say that I sent my deposit back in April 2023 after hearing one, watching hundreds of Aaron's videos, getting feedback from owners and researching Aaron's background and thought process. More info to follow including my experience with the ordering process, actual instrument impressions and pictures of my new ukulele after it arrives on Friday the 13th. FYI - I was born on Friday the 13th, 1954 so it's my lucky day and I'm considering this to be a good omen.

This thread is for Beansprout owners, past and present to express their thoughts and opinions. It is also for people with questions who are considering the purchase of a Beansprout.

Last month DownUpDave made the following suggestion on another thread: "You should start a thread asking for feedback from Beansprout owners. People love to share and it would be valuable or us all." I think it is an excellent suggestion since there are many Beansprout owners here on UU and some own multiple instruments made by Aaron including banjos, banjo ukes and even tenor guitars. I'll start this out by providing the link just posted by Aaron about my new Beansprout tenor. It will not arrive until Friday or Saturday so I have no comments at this time about the instrument itself. I will say that I sent my deposit back in April 2023 after hearing one, watching hundreds of Aaron's videos, getting feedback from owners and researching Aaron's background and thought process. More info to follow including my experience with the ordering process, actual instrument impressions and pictures of my new ukulele after it arrives on Friday the 13th. FYI - I was born on Friday the 13th, 1954 so it's my lucky day and I'm considering this to be a good omen.

This thread is for Beansprout owners, past and present to express their thoughts and opinions. It is also for people with questions who are considering the purchase of a Beansprout.

What an incredibly beautiful looking and sounding ukulele -- wow. Blown away by that tone... enjoy it!

I want to also note a Curly Myrtle Soprano Beansprout currently available in the Marketplace -- price freshly dropped to $1200! Somebody is going to get a fantastic deal on a gorgeous luthier custom for less than the price of many production models from the likes of Pono, Anuenue, and the K brands. It really is well worth taking a look at, even if just to marvel at the instrument. Aaron really does do amazing work!

I want to also note a Curly Myrtle Soprano Beansprout currently available in the Marketplace -- price freshly dropped to $1200! Somebody is going to get a fantastic deal on a gorgeous luthier custom for less than the price of many production models from the likes of Pono, Anuenue, and the K brands. It really is well worth taking a look at, even if just to marvel at the instrument. Aaron really does do amazing work!

Well... it was available, maybe less so now. It's glorious.

Considering how much high praise Beansprout instruments get and how well-known Aaron is, I find it really odd that there are so few reviews, NUDs, and comments overall about Beansprout in this forum. The waiting time for a Beansprout instrument isn't too long either - a bit over half a year - so either Aaron has insane output or the amount of orders isn't too high. Perhaps Beansprout could be considered slightly underrated even.

I got my Beansprout cedar/walnut Alto this year and it's become one of my favourites. Really nice volume and sustain for such a small instrument, and build quality is flawless. Not quite the most resonant and warm ~concert size uke I've played but it's not far off. It seems to me that Beansprout ukes have a fairly unique tone to them. They lack the warmth of a Hawaiian style uke slightly but sound more direct and clear while not being overly punchy. I'd say they suit certain music styles like country, folk and blues exceptionally well.

Considering how much high praise Beansprout instruments get and how well-known Aaron is, I find it really odd that there are so few reviews, NUDs, and comments overall about Beansprout in this forum. The waiting time for a Beansprout instrument isn't too long either - a bit over half a year - so either Aaron has insane output or the amount of orders isn't too high. Perhaps Beansprout could be considered slightly underrated even.

I got my Beansprout cedar/walnut Alto this year and it's become one of my favourites. Really nice volume and sustain for such a small instrument, and build quality is flawless. Not quite the most resonant and warm ~concert size uke I've played but it's not far off. It seems to me that Beansprout ukes have a fairly unique tone to them. They lack the warmth of a Hawaiian style uke slightly but sound more direct and clear while not being overly punchy. I'd say they suit certain music styles like country, folk and blues exceptionally well.
I just watched the video of your #812 and your NUD post. Truly another beautiful instrument! There have been several comments by other owners about the uniqueness of the Beansprout tone compared to the traditional Hawaiian makers. If you have listened to Aaron's recordings and/or CD's, he leans more towards American folk than traditional Hawaiian and his instruments do seem to reflect that.

TommyG: I did a double take when I saw your birthdate. I also was born on November 13, 1954. As I understand it, that date is a Saturday, not Friday.

TommyG: I did a double take when I saw your birthdate. I also was born on November 13, 1954. As I understand it, that date is a Saturday, not Friday.
Ahhh! I was born in August on Friday the 13th, 1954. Obviously, that was my lucky day, but all Friday 13th's are special days for me. My Beansprout is on schedule to arrive tomorrow on Friday the 13th! Another lucky day!
Happy Birthday to you in advance! I enjoy telling people that I'm 69 years old as long as I can!

Attachments

• IMG_7714.jpeg
    IMG_7714.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 40
There’s a cool new mango tenor for sale in the Beansprout store!

I'm getting ready to post my thoughts thus far of my new Beansprout Tenor #843. Right after it arrived I went on a 10-day roadtrip with friends so I haven't gotten to spend time with it until today. In the interim, here's a review and new song from Avery Hill.

If you are looking for a gloss finish or bling, look elsewhere. Alternatively, if you appreciate a perfect satin hand rubbed finish, and a subtle but eloquent look and feel, you might be in the right place. A Beansprout is different from your typical ukulele. Here I will be providing feedback on my tenor.

It arrived in a very nice and well fitting lockable case and upon opening, it has a distinct new smell which I assume is a combination of the fresh wood and finish.

When picking it up for the first time, I immediately noticed the feel of the neck. I just kept moving my hand up and down and marveled at the silky feeling.

Next, I noticed just how light it was. For reference, I weighed it along with my other ukuleles. Blackbird Farallon came in at 806 grams; Flight Voyager with pick-up 706 grams; Lanikai MAS-T (with 2 strap buttons 602 grams; KoAloha KTM-00 (no strap buttons) 628 grams, KoAloha KYM-10RPMG Royal Pikake (no strap buttons) 588 grams; the Beansprout with a K&K pick-up and heel strap button was 506 grams.

I took my time looking it over. Overall, the total finish is flawless. The upgraded woods speak for themselves as the grain in the curly Port Orford Cedar and curly and grafted walnut are both stunning and interesting, without any need of additional adornment. It has a simple yet complex look highlighting the craftsmanship and attention to detail that Aaron puts into his instruments. The hand rubbed satin finish is different from the spray finish on my satin KoAloha, more refined and obvious in a very good way.

It didn’t need much in the way of tuning. I guess he plays and stretches the strings sufficiently before shipping.

All ukuleles have a unique sound and this one is no exception. It came with Beansprout strings which I understand are sourced from GHS. They are a higher tension than I am used to and it was noticeable. They sound very nice and the low action makes them easier to play. I plan to leave them to see how my fingers adjust. My understanding is that they are favored by fingerpickers and claw hammer enthusiasts, plus I’m convinced Aaron put a lot of thought into this choice. At this point, I’m more of a strummer but actively working on my fingerpicking.

The body shape is unique compared to the more traditional KoAloha shape. The upper bout width is 6 5/16”; lower bout width is 8”; body depth at the neck is 2 1/2”; and bottom is 2 13/16”. Overall, the measurements are less than the KoAloha with the biggest difference in the lower bout, the KoAloha being a full inch wider. However, the smaller body does not reduce the volume or sustain when compared to the KoAloha, at least to my ears, and the bass response with the low G is more balanced.

As far as how it sounds, I’ll refer you to the Avery Hill review video posted here because the woods are similar and she is a much better player. Her description and thoughts closely reflect mine.

I haven't plugged it in yet but will report back when I do. Also, this is my first ukulele with a radiused fretboard. So far, I'm thinking it makes barre chords slightly easier.

I ordered the wood case tag with the serial number and my name burned in along with a natural tanned leather BeanSprout strap. The tag is classy and the strap is adjustable by easily cutting/removing any excess. At about an inch wide, the leather is very soft, pliable and unfinished on the underside which keeps it from slipping. The top is smooth with "Beansprout" somehow written on it in black. I’ll be installing one on other ukuleles that I have.

Last edited:
Beautiful playing and singing!
A perfect example of how an instrument can inspire us!
Mahalo TommyG

TommyG I don't know how I missed this thread when I was the one suggesting it, doh!!!!

Congratulations on an incredibly beautiful instrument. I don't say this lightly but that is one of the most tastefully chosen wood combinations I have seen in a long time. The curly Port Orford cedar is really eye catching as is the neck. I am a sucker for curly walnut as I own 2 instruments with it and your back and sides are outstanding. The whole package is pure class with a rich aesthetic.

Enjoy it for many years to come and thanks for starting this thread. I enjoyed viewing the other ukuleles featured by their owners as well.

I just discovered this thread. I've been saying if I could only have one ukulele, it would be my Beansprout Tenor #650.

Rather than me rattling on about what a wonderful instrument it is, it's better for Aaron to show and demonstrate this fabulous little ukulele. It was more than I've ever spent on any musical instrument, but I don't regret a single penny.

Beansprout #650 , Port Orford Cedar & Walnut Tenor

Top Bottom