Testing hygrometers

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I'm testing my hygrometer with the salt in a lid in a plastic bag routine, but am wondering if simply putting the hydrometer in a sealed plastic bag with the 49% Boveda packet would work. I would think that the hygrometer should read 49% in the bag with the Boveda, correct? Could it be that easy?

Cold weather is upon us in my area, so it's time to make sure I get the hydrometer reading correctly.

here you go, from their website:

ACCURACY:
Achieves and maintains a constant relative humidity (RH) range between 45% and 55%.

Thanks. I'll stick with the salt in a cap in a sealed plastic bag for my test, then.

And then after you calibrate your hygrometer, you might test to see what your humidipak is registering at... Perhaps first in a bag then in the case with an ukulele.

Bovidea sells a calibration kit. It's a heavy duty zip lock bag with a packet inside that produces either 75% or 32% moisture. Depending on which one you purchase. I bought the 32% one and have used it on all 4 of my hygrometers. You place the hygrometer in the packet, wait 24 hrs and see what it reads. It's a very worthwhile investment of $8.00.

Bovidea sells a calibration kit. It's a heavy duty zip lock bag with a packet inside that produces either 75% or 32% moisture. Depending on which one you purchase. I bought the 32% one and have used it on all 4 of my hygrometers. You place the hygrometer in the packet, wait 24 hrs and see what it reads. It's a very worthwhile investment of $8.00.
Thanks. I think I'll have to give that a try.

My salt slurry in a cap with the hygrometer in a sealed baggie doesn't seem to be working correctly - or all 3 hygrometers that I tested are way off. They registered 68% instead of 75%.

Thanks. I think I'll have to give that a try.

My salt slurry in a cap with the hygrometer in a sealed baggie doesn't seem to be working correctly - or all 3 hygrometers that I tested are way off. They registered 68% instead of 75%.

For what it's worth I went with the 32% calibration because it's closer to the 45% target most sources say we should keep our Instruments at.

It's very reassuring to know all 4 of my hygrometers read the same and are accurate. Good luck going forward

I decided to get both. I want to feel confident that I’ve got it right. (Though I’ll probably still worry about it, LOL.)

Top Bottom