Surprised the Food forum isn't more active

It goes through phases. When we first opened it up, it was very active. It's tapered off recently, but then someone will post something and we'll all jump in to chat about it!

What food thoughts are currently forefront on your brain?

I never stop thinking about sushi and about BBQ ribs.

I had goldeneye snapper once as nigiri. I didn't like the taste, but Kohan's comment and the op's avatar made me think of that, because it tasted like what I imagine raw goldfish to taste like.

I hope I never have to eat a goldfish! I tried sushi once, it was interesting. I wouldn't say I craved it a second time, but it wasn't objectionable.

I am quite frequently thinking about pizza. And Ramen. I love all kinds of noodles, but I really crave those cheap freeze-dried brick ramen. They're not filling, and they're not nutritious. But I still love 'em and there's nothing else like 'em.

Maybe the people most interested are too busy eating.

I tried sushi once, it was interesting. I wouldn't say I craved it a second time, but it wasn't objectionable.
The first time I ate sushi was 1973 when I was 23 in Little Tokyo, downtown Los Angeles. My brother's girlfriend (now wife), her sister worked near there and her boss took the staff to this sushi bar, so she told us about it and we went. It was on the second floor in old jobbers building on San Pedro in a big room with the sushi bar on one end and people stacked 8 deep all the way across.

Call out your order and the people in front passed it back. Dotty suggested a few basic items, but as I saw various other items being passed around, I ordered them. From the first moment I had sushi, I was hooked. I ordered every exotic item they had, octopus, squid, raw shrimp with deep fried head, sea urchin, mackerel, jelly fish, eel, monk fish liver (quite like foie gras), and of course all the regulars, salmon, tuna, snapper, crab. I have sushi at least once a week.

Last edited:
I've only been to a sushi bar once. I was halfway through eating when the chef walked up to my table and carefully explained that what I had put on my plate was intended to be cooked first. I survived, but never returned.

Attachments

• Sue-Shi's Island Tours.JPG
    Sue-Shi's Island Tours.JPG
    817.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I never tried sushi before I became a vegetarian. If I never did become one, I am sure I would have no interest in trying it. I love veggie rolls, but never really liked fish other than fried, so raw sushi wouldn't do anything for me. It makes me sick a bit thinking about it. No lox with my bagels either. And, the only way I eat tuna is on a tuna melt.

I love sushi.
Me too.

First time I had nigiri was many years ago in a Japanese restaurant in London, I was a bit wary but it was absolutely delicious, so fresh tasting. I’m not so keen on the stuff they sell in supermarkets here though, which is mainly just a load of very sticky rice and half a prawn. Stick a bit of wasabi on the side and you can call it sushi apparently 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Me too.

First time I had nigiri was many years ago in a Japanese restaurant in London, I was a bit wary but it was absolutely delicious, so fresh tasting. I’m not so keen on the stuff they sell in supermarkets here though, which is mainly just a load of very sticky rice and half a prawn. Stick a bit of wasabi on the side and you can call it sushi apparently 🤷‍♀️
Nope. I try to avoid supermarket and food court sushi generally. I have a couple of exceptions: our local supermarket does a few yummy rolls (that aren't raw fish, lol).

I used to work not far from a Japanese deli, and I'd get my lunch there at least a couple of times a week. I didn't only order sushi, but I often did - their central kitchen (it was a chain with three or four outlets) would make all the lunches fresh every morning. SO yummy. I miss it a lot.

Me too. First time I had nigiri was many years ago in a Japanese restaurant in London, I was a bit wary but it was absolutely delicious, so fresh tasting. I’m not so keen on the stuff they sell in supermarkets here though, which is mainly just a load of very sticky rice and half a prawn. Stick a bit of wasabi on the side and you can call it sushi apparently 🤷‍♀️
My local up scale supermarket, Bristol Farms, has a large hot and cold food area with a very good sushi section and sushi chef right there making it all day. They also have a very good poké section that includes musubi. That's were I get most of my weekly sushi, though there's also an excellent sushi restaurant a few blocks from me, Kopan (coincidence it rhymes with my last name), that I will frequent as well.

Like @Mike $, I am a vegetarian. It kind of seems silly to me to walk into a restaurant and pay $$$ for carrot sticks, seaweed, and rice. :p But my youngest daughter, Sahar, likes to make sushi with me. We go for big platters of the stuff, both with fish and veggie style and do a feed for the whole family. I asked her to send me some of her food photos to share with you all.

IMG_2504.jpg

Top Bottom