String issue?

TimWPB

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’m seeking feedback on what I’m perceiving as a potential string issue. I have a Kala solid mahogany concert ukulele (KA- SMH-C) with D’Addario titanium strings. I have had it about 2 months. It’s my first uke. Over the past week, I’ve noticed that the C and E strings don’t sound as they did when new. This is the most noticeable during fingerstyle playing. When playing G or higher (on the E string) and D or higher (on the C strong), the strings sound dull and don’t sound clean. I don’t notice this issue with the G and A strings. Also. I don’t notice this while playing chords, but I could be missing it. Is it time to restring? Or is there some other potential issue? Or is this how a Kala solid body concert uke will sound?

Appreciate your thoughts.

If you've been playing the strings for more than a month and they sound dull to you, then I would change them. Strings do stretch out and loose their resonance, even if there is no visible wear and tear. Every time I change my strings (even to a new set of the exact same brand), I notice an immediate and significant boost in sound quality, which is a sure sign that the strings were worn out. Aldrine from Ukulele Underground recommends changing your strings every 2 months if you play regularly and care about sound quality.

Top Bottom