String Hole Plugged

UkeInTW

Reaction score
My string snapped on my uke right at the place it goes into the hole on the bridge. The hole is now plugged with what I assume is the remaining string. The problem is that I cant clear the hole. I have tried a sharp needle and also a paper clip, but cant push it through to clear the hole. I tried pushing with some force, but the pin and paper clip both start to bend. I tried tapping on it like a hammer, but that does not work.

Anyone else ever have this problem and other suggestions to clear the hole? The bridge is the type where the hole is perpendicular to the body, so the strings goes into the body. Thanks.

I wonder If you can get a dental mirror and pull it out from the inside. If it's a soprano it should be within reach.

a small diameter finishing nail setter? something more sturdy that doesn't bend. or, a tiny drill bit and carefully drill the sucker out...as I think about it, that's what I'd do.

The bridge is the type where the hole is perpendicular to the body, so the strings goes into the body. Thanks.

Can you take a few pictures of the problem? (close-up preferred)

I'm having a hard time visualizing this as per your description - is it a tie-bridge, a slotted-bridge or a pin-bridge or something else???

If you can show the problem, it will be easier for you to get help. :)

Thanks all for the suggestions. It is a tenor uke. I did try to look inside with a small mirror, and could see it a little bit, but hard to reach the hole. However, I kept trying to push through with the paper clip, trying different angles too, and finally was able to dislodge the small piece of string. The knot had gotten pulled into the hole, so was lodged quite tightly in the hole.

Not sure what the name of this type of bridge is. It is somewhat like a pin bridge in that the hole goes into the body of the uke, but there is no pin, only a hole to insert the string and you tie a knot at the end to secure the string and prevent it from coming back out. So, I insert the string into the hole on the bridge and keep pushing it through inside the body of the uke until I can grab the end of the string through the sound hole. From there, I put a knot on the end, then pull it back out and the knot will stop at the hole and keeps it from pulling the string all the way out.

I think I may try to go to the art supply store and get a very tiny bead to thread onto the string that sits just above the knot, to prevent the knot from getting squeezed into the hole. Thanks!

You can see the bridge type in this ukulele photos on HMS website.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/dasilva-ukulele-thin-body-tenor.html

That's called a "string-through-top" bridge. Get a small bead and tie a figure 8 knot on the string to hold it in and you'll be good to go. I like those bridges the best of all because there is very little chance you'll ever lose your bridge by it popping off under full string tension.

Top Bottom