string advice for unusual tenor setup? (non-reentrant DGBE)

echo victor

Reaction score
I'm primarily a baritone uke player, and I'm more comfortable in DGBE tuning than gCEA. Since I came across the Pepe Romero "Baby Baritone" strings (you can read about them here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/pepe-romero-and-la-bella-baby-baritone-strings.150357/), I have been interested in tuning a tenor in DGBE (low D). However, it seems that the Romero strings may be a higher tension than my preference. Since there doesn't seem to be anyone else making a set with this intent (Guadalupe, from the video in that thread, doesn't have them listed that I could find), I'm trying to think through how I might be able get a combination of tenor non-reentrant DGBE tuning without high tension, but still enough tension to get a good sound.

First thought: low G concert uke strings? By putting them on a tenor with a longer-than-intended scale length, that would result in increased tension at GCEA, but tuning them to a fourth below that at DGBE should counter that to something reasonable, right? But maybe they'll end up sounding too thin?

Second thought: low D baritone strings? These would have lower tension on a tenor than they would on a baritone at the same tuning, again due to the scale length difference. But maybe they'll seem too "thunky?"

Anything I'm overlooking? I can certainly just buy a couple sets and try to compare them, but it's faster and cheaper to ask here and hope that some of you fine folks have experimented with enough different gauges and unusual tunings to offer some advice. Thanks!

Tenor scale was initially intended for re-entrant dgbe and the size will likely not produce a pleasant low D sound. If you want to try it anyway the way to go are guitar strings and not other uke sets. For example an A guitar string may be feasible. Aquila also has a set for a mini guitar that may have a suitable D string.

Hmm... the idea of using some strings from a set for a mini guitar (or a guitalele or even a requinto) might work. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Just use a low tension guitar string set. Use the middle 4 strings. I have this setup on one of my RC grand tenors. Or u can use a regular low g tenor set. Transfer the GCE strings down to GBE. Use a guitar 5th string for the low D. This way your choices are almost endless. La bella has a smooth wound 5th guitar string that is the same as the smooth wound low G that has many names(Fremont soloist, uke logic low G, Romero low G in the tenor set….etc)

I'm primarily a baritone uke player, and I'm more comfortable in DGBE tuning than gCEA. Since I came across the Pepe Romero "Baby Baritone" strings (you can read about them here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/pepe-romero-and-la-bella-baby-baritone-strings.150357/), I have been interested in tuning a tenor in DGBE (low D). However, it seems that the Romero strings may be a higher tension than my preference. Since there doesn't seem to be anyone else making a set with this intent (Guadalupe, from the video in that thread, doesn't have them listed that I could find), I'm trying to think through how I might be able get a combination of tenor non-reentrant DGBE tuning without high tension, but still enough tension to get a good sound.

First thought: low G concert uke strings? By putting them on a tenor with a longer-than-intended scale length, that would result in increased tension at GCEA, but tuning them to a fourth below that at DGBE should counter that to something reasonable, right? But maybe they'll end up sounding too thin?
the reverse is true. If you put concert strings on a tenor. Assuming the string gauges are thinner, you’ll get lower tension. You can easily test this out. If you compare your E and A string with different thickness, tune the A string back down to E so that they are both in E. You’ll find the thinner string has lower tension. You can do the same for the C and E string and the results are the same. Hence generally, thinner string will always have lower tension provided they are of the same make. Some brands have different density But it’s marginal.

I have tried, but as noted above low D on a tenor is "iffy" at best. However, I have two tenors set up as reentry dGBE and I think they sound wonderful.

<edit> See post #10, below.

Last edited:
I say you dont even need "low tension" guitar strings. Normal tension guitar strings give ADGCEA on 17" guitalele. So the middle 4 will easily give you DGBE on a tenor uke

Last edited:
As Jim said above, ADGB strings out of a classical guitar string set should achieve DGBE tuning on Tenor ukuleles.

I recently shared on another thread other tunings possible using classical guitar strings:
The 4th to 1st strings (DGBE) tune up to GCEA (low G) on Soprano, Concert and Tenor ukuleles.
The 5th to 2nd strings (ADGB) tune up to DGBE (baritone ukulele) on Tenor and Baritone ukuleles.
The 6th to 3rd strings (EADG) tune up to octave-low GCEA on Baritone ukuleles.

I actually have a Concert ukulele tuned low DGBE by using Aquila's Tenor DGBE set (Aquila 11U) and replacing the high-D string with classical guitar A string for low D. Works really well!

Demonstrated here:

I use Baritone D,G,B,E strings on my tenors tuned E,A,C#,F# and it works a treat. You can tune baritone DGBE stings DGBE on a tenor. It does work and it has its own sound, yet its definitely not a "perfect" baritone sound.
If it was perfect, then why would anyone build baritone ukuleles?

GIve it a go. It will work for you or it won't. If perfection is what you seek then you may just have to do what you have to do (buy a baritone uke).

I stand corrected... today, I set up a tenor for linear CGBE, just like a baritone but with a drop C.
I did this because I was asked to pick out the melody lines so singers could all start out on key.
Linear tuning makes learning to read and play notation (melody line only) in real-time much easier.

For low D, I'd try a D'Addario NYL034 or NYL033)

E .028u D'Addario NYL028
B .024w D'Addario NYL024W
G .028w D'Addario NYL028W
C .035w D'Addario NYL035W

Nice clear tones with a solid low C. Medium tension on all strings.

<edit> I now have both tenors (Ohana TK-70R, Lanikai CDST-T) set up this way.
The concerts (Ohana CK-70W, Lanikai CDST-C) are set up cGBE.

Last edited:
....You can tune baritone DGBE stings DGBE on a tenor. It does work and it has its own sound, yet its definitely not a "perfect" baritone sound.
It would be too floppy.

It would be too floppy.
It's totally fine, and totally playable, and I KNOW this from personal experience.
Is it low tension? Sure it is.
Is it as good as a low D string on a longer scale? No its not.
It is its own thing, and it will work for you, or it won't.
It's time to stop talking about it, and just try it instead. It's not perfection, and a 17"scale instrument will never be perfect at low D, yet it does work.

Alright, I decided to try the the guitalele string approach, and I discovered that Aquila makes Reds for guitalele, specifically designed for 17" scale. I went with the A-tuning set because it would arrive sooner and cost less, and from the set (A D G C E A), I used the D, G, C, and E strings, with the C string tuned down half a step to B. I've attached a short strumming clip. How do you think it sounds? To my ear, the D and G both come through well, while the B and E have that bright Red tone.

View attachment mic2.mp3

Bumping this because I got no replies to my short clip of the bari-tenor tuning. Curious what people think. Thanks!

I put the Romero baby baritone strings on my fanned fret uma pulse tenor and I quite like it. The tension is not too floppy and sound is reasonably balanced. Mind you, the D string on the pulse is 3/4" longer than a normal tenor, and sorry it's hard to hear from that recording how your strings REALLY sound. Certainly not unpleasant.

Last edited:
This is a great topic and glad it’s come up as I’m experimenting with lower tunings on my tenor.

Top Bottom