Sticky Neck

bsfloyd

Reaction score
I’m curious to know what players with higher acid in their skin are using to reduce the shiny “sticky” feel on the back of the neck. I’ve always had this problem on satin finished necks (never on gloss necks) for all my stringed instruments (ukuleles, guitars, mandolins). I’ve tried steel wool and scotch pads which works for a short time, but it always comes back. What do you all do or use to try and work with this? Thanks.

I don't have this problem, but if I did and it was distracting me from playing, I know what I'd do. I would take the instrument to my local luthier and have them refinish the neck in a non-sticky finish. I wouldn't care if it is a satin finish or that French finish; I would be guided by the expertise of the luthier. I realize that isn't very satisfying. But I am not much of a DIY kind of guy. I would prefer to drop off my offending instrument, come back in ten days and have its problems remedied.

I have very dry hands. The only time I've had this problem was on a very hot day and my hands became sweaty. Some nitro finishes became a bit sticky. Poly was fine. I keep a cloth in my gig bag and wiped my hands frequently. Helped a little.

I'm asking this, are there any soaps or lotions that will neutralize or reduce the acidity of the oils and sweat on your hands? At least temporarily?
I don't think a static cling plastic will work on a satin finish.
Maybe fingerless light cotton gloves? Or cut the fingers off of a cotton glove leaving the thumb intact?

Refinishing a neck may be your only other option. No idea how much it would cost for a luthier to do it. I think they would have to remove the satin finish so the new finish would stick. And then apply the polyurethane.

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I have noticed this more on hotter days and when my hands possibly sweat. Perhaps that is the key - paying more attention to my hands and not the neck of the instrument.

A little talcum powder works wonders...

I’m curious to know what players with higher acid in their skin are using to reduce the shiny “sticky” feel on the back of the neck. I’ve always had this problem on satin finished necks (never on gloss necks) for all my stringed instruments (ukuleles, guitars, mandolins). I’ve tried steel wool and scotch pads which works for a short time, but it always comes back. What do you all do or use to try and work with this? Thanks.

"Higher acid in their skin..." That reminds me of the movie "Alien" - acid for blood.

I think anyone's skin can damage various surfaces. That's why you see museum people wearing white cotton gloves when they handle valuable items. I'm surprised your hands make the surface sticky. I could understand if it was just one particular instrument, but since you have that problem with several, you should look into having the necks coated with something - lacquer, varnish?

Thanks for the replies to all! I would think that to have the necks refinished might cost more than the actual price of the $300 (on average) instruments. I would understand if the ukuleles were say $1000 instruments - but I guess I wouldn’t know unless I get actual quotes. Weirdly enough, not all satin finished necks give me this problem. My Martins I’m fine with…

All of the offending necks i had were sanded down and waxed. Problem solved.

Top Bottom