Singing From Memory vs. Singing With Lyric Sheets

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying that it's NOT my intention to start a debate about the use of lyric sheets vs. memorization of the lyrics, when performing. Clearly, everyone needs to approach that in the manner they find is best for their particular situation, as well as the specifics of a given performance (kitchen table, coffee house, tavern, outdoor festival, etc.). And the fact is, we're all different-- some people can commit lyrics to memory and sing them on short notice just as if they were reciting a favorite little prayer, or singing their country's National Anthem at a sporting event; and other people are just not comfortable without a physical representation of the lyrics in front of them, even if only as "backup." As the expression goes, it's all good.

So, having said that, here's my question: have you ever had the sensation that singing a tune from memory ("knowing it by heart", as we would say as kids) results in a smoother, more fluid delivery and presentation, and thus a slightly more pleasing result, as compared to singing it while referencing the lyric sheet?

I had that experience just yesterday, while playing at a local retirement home. The gig was originally going to be in "trio" format, consisting of two of my lady friends and me. But just a couple of hours before starting time, one of the ladies got called into work, and the other wasn't feeling well, so I had to "fly solo."

There are a couple of songs on which the ladies normally handle the vocals, so I'd never memorized the lyrics on those songs. But I still wanted to try doing them, partly because, otherwise, I wasn't sure if I'd have enough songs! So, I grabbed lyric sheets for those songs before I headed out to the gig, and performed them while reading the lyrics.

And although the lyric sheets saved the day, and those songs came out very decently, I was nonetheless struck by the sensation that performing them with the use of the lyric sheets may have resulted in a somewhat "stilted" delivery-- not anything awful at all, but, compared to the other songs on the setlist, which I sang from memory (mainly because I've had them ingrained there since I was a kid!), the lyiric-sheet-assisted tunes just didn't seem to have the "verve" that the memorized tunes had.

Okay, I'll just toss that all out here for your consideration, with this question: Do you think there's anything to this? Or is this another case of me having too much time on my hands? :giggle:

I agree that songs from memory turn out better than when using lyric sheets. Would be good to memorize the lyrics & chords to all songs, but that would be really hard to do (especially if there’s lots of songs).

Bill, it’s great that you were able to play solo vs. as a trio! A couple weeks ago, one member of our quartet had to bow out, but we did ok.

Prior to joining ukulele groups, i’d never used lyric or chord sheets. When getting together with my friends once or twice a year, we all played from memory. (Although as time passed, we remembered fewer & fewer songs.) 😆

Last edited:
I think that it is worth the effort to learn a song properly, because in order to connect to other people you need to look at them.

I actually think it's a bit disrespectful to your audience if you're not ready. I went to an open mic recently - there was a couple who sang seven songs, and the wife prefaced every song by saying she hadn't learned the song properly, it was in the wrong key and she had laryngitis. They sounded dreadful, and it was somehow worse that she was reading the lyrics from a phone screen. To top it all off they took off as soon as they had done their performance. They didn't stick around to hear the rest of the people who had sat through their thing.

People were very kind and nothing was said but I wouldn't have had the nerve to have done something like that.

The singers in our band always use iPads for both lyrics and music. The drummer and I play everything by ear.
We have wonderful three part harmonies and it doesn’t seem not smooth because they may be reading the lyrics…B8E64CB3-559A-42EB-9E10-6F9794E0130C.jpeg

I'll preface this by saying that it's NOT my intention to start a debate about the use of lyric sheets vs. memorization of the lyrics, when performing. Clearly, everyone needs to approach that in the manner they find is best for their particular situation, as well as the specifics of a given performance (kitchen table, coffee house, tavern, outdoor festival, etc.). And the fact is, we're all different-- some people can commit lyrics to memory and sing them on short notice just as if they were reciting a favorite little prayer, or singing their country's National Anthem at a sporting event; and other people are just not comfortable without a physical representation of the lyrics in front of them, even if only as "backup." As the expression goes, it's all good.

So, having said that, here's my question: have you ever had the sensation that singing a tune from memory ("knowing it by heart", as we would say as kids) results in a smoother, more fluid delivery and presentation, and thus a slightly more pleasing result, as compared to singing it while referencing the lyric sheet?

I had that experience just yesterday, while playing at a local retirement home. The gig was originally going to be in "trio" format, consisting of two of my lady friends and me. But just a couple of hours before starting time, one of the ladies got called into work, and the other wasn't feeling well, so I had to "fly solo."

There are a couple of songs on which the ladies normally handle the vocals, so I'd never memorized the lyrics on those songs. But I still wanted to try doing them, partly because, otherwise, I wasn't sure if I'd have enough songs! So, I grabbed lyric sheets for those songs before I headed out to the gig, and performed them while reading the lyrics.

And although the lyric sheets saved the day, and those songs came out very decently, I was nonetheless struck by the sensation that performing them with the use of the lyric sheets may have resulted in a somewhat "stilted" delivery-- not anything awful at all, but, compared to the other songs on the setlist, which I sang from memory (mainly because I've had them ingrained there since I was a kid!), the lyiric-sheet-assisted tunes just didn't seem to have the "verve" that the memorized tunes had.

Okay, I'll just toss that all out here for your consideration, with this question: Do you think there's anything to this? Or is this another case of me having too much time on my hands? :giggle:
I don’t do much singing and I mainly play chord melody and fingerstyle type stuff, but I definitely prefer to know what I’m playing off by heart. I’m not even playing for an audience, unless you count the dog, I just feel that I’m able to express myself so much better if I’m not having to concentrate on following the music. I imagine it’s a similar thing if you’re singing from a lyric sheet.

Well, keep in mind that it may be that these were not songs you usually sing. It may not be a function of having the sheet there, but that the song was not completely comfortable for you.

There is certainly an amount of familiarity that one needs so we are not staring solely at the lyrics/chords. At the same time I don't think there is anything wrong with having sheets there if one needs a reminder or prompt. If it is about doing a good performance, you do what you need to get the job done. That is better than blanking in the middle of a song.

I recall a number of years back I watched a David Bowie performance on TV and noticed there was a music stand placed low next to him. He actually mentioned that he keeps it nearby because he sometimes forgets the lyrics. It gave me a whole different perspective on having the need for the music.

The stand is clearly visible in this performance

I am much more of an audience member than a performer, and I take no offense when a person or a group is playing from sheet music or lyric sheets or ... . When I play, I find there is a tension if I have memorized a piece and then I play it from the music. It causes a confusion because I am mostly playing from memory and I can easily lose my place in the music. When I am learning something, the music is a set of detailed instructions, but as I learn the piece it becomes more like a set of cues, and if I commit a piece to memory it becomes a distraction. If I am trying to polish up a memorized piece, I will go back and play it paying detailed attention to the music just to see where I have drifted into not quite playing what was written. Then I can decide if I want to adjust my memory or the arrangement.

I have very very limited singing experience, but it helps me to learn the lyrics by just repeating them somewhat rythmically at random times during the day without singing them. I think having the lyrics somewhat burned in helps me with the phrasing of the song when the music is added. In general with songs my approach is divide and conquer: I work the lyrics, melody, and chords independently at first.

I am not surprised by your experience. Having to rely on the songsheets for a slightly unfamiliar songs distracts from performing the song presentation ever so slightly. When you know it by heart, you can focus on emotion, volume, eye contact, timing, etc. Glancing at the sheet to remember the words would take away from any one of those, even if just a little.

A few months ago, the San Francisco Girls Chorus performed at the SF Memorial for Senator Dianne Feinstein on the City Hall steps. I was surprised that they each held a binder with music sheets (I assume) for the two songs they sang. I wondered if they did not rehearse these songs so much that they did not need to have the music in front of them and that the presentation would have been much better without them holding and looking at the binders.

My group of about 35 has over 300 songs in our repertoire. We play together every other Sunday and Wednesday with an 18 song list that changes for each session, so we all follow sheets on stands in front of us. When I play bass uke, I sing on songs I know really well, otherwise I mostly don't sing. When I play uke, I sing from the sheets, doesn't cause me any consternation. We also play a gig every two months at a farmers' market with sheets on stands, which goes over very well rehearsing the 18 song set list a couple of sessions before.

I am much more of an audience member than a performer...
I have very very limited singing experience, but it helps me to learn the lyrics by just repeating them somewhat rythmically at random times during the day without singing them. I think having the lyrics somewhat burned in helps me with the phrasing of the song when the music is added. In general with songs my approach is divide and conquer: I work the lyrics, melody, and chords independently at first.
Careful phrasing is what makes music flow, especially for lyrics but also true for instruments. Reciting lyrics as they would be phrased is what I do when practicing them without an instrument. My problem comes when the instrument needs to be clearly "on the tick" while simultaneously singing "the phrase" around it. And, vice-versa. It is difficult to do both.

I'm continually working on that ability, but that requires musicianship. I feel it in those rare moments it happens, I just can't control it.

<edit> Playing staccato chords like a clock while phrasing words.

Consider what happens when playing and singing during :

(And I)
Think it's gonna be alright
Yes the worst is over now (the)
Morning sun is shining like (a)
Red Rubber Ball

This is one I've been trying to deliver for going on 2 years. Not quite there, yet

<edit 2> I just tried "air ukulele" strums while reciting the lyrics in phrase. Hmm...

Last edited:
I was surprised that they each held a binder with music sheets (I assume) for the two songs they sang. I wondered if they did not rehearse these songs so much that they did not need to have the music in front of them and that the presentation would have been much better without them holding and looking at the binders.

It is standard for many choral groups to hold a folder with the music they are performing

Sounds as if you handled things very professionally and successfully. I concur with comments regarding eye contact with the audience. That said, I don’t often attend symphonic performances but can’t recall a single one in which each musician did not have, and visibly rely on, a music stand.

The David Bowie comment is spot-on.

Country artists often have a playlist, with NNS chord progressions, taped to the bass side of acoustic instruments where it isn't visible to the audience unless the musician finds it necessary to tilt the guitar forward while dodging a flying beer can. :ROFLMAO:

here's my question: have you ever had the sensation that singing a tune from memory ("knowing it by heart", as we would say as kids) results in a smoother, more fluid delivery and presentation, and thus a slightly more pleasing result, as compared to singing it while referencing the lyric sheet?
Hey Bill,

In my "performance" years, in bands or solo, there weren't any lead sheets. Everything was memorized. Sitting here, I can't imagine maintaining synergy with the band or the audience while reading a lead sheet.

Yes, I agree with your observations.

In my experience, the song usually flows better when I can sing it without looking at the lyrics. Does it sounds better to the listener? I don’t know. But I do know that I enjoy singing a song a lot more when the words are already in my head. And that’s important to me, because if I’m not having fun, what’s the point?

There is a big difference between performing and singing along.

When singing along, looking at a song sheet/book whatever is expected, thats what everyone else is looking at also.
When performing, everyone else is looking at you. In this case, the experience will be way more lively if your attention can be "present", and you can look back at the audience.

Anyway, I dont perform other than the videos for the SOTU challenges. With just a week to learn a new song, I dont always learn everything 100 % by heart. I often keep the lyrics visible just outside the video frame, but just for quick glimpse to remember which verse comes next. If I were to focus on reading, I could not focus on playing at the same time.

I've never done or been part of a campfire sing-along that had sheet music. At open mic performances I always memorize the song. My playing partner on the other hand just can't do it. He is a much better singer and player then me so there is no criticism of that method here. You do what works for you.

In a large group of more than 3 or 4 players, using song sheets helps to keep everyone on the same page (so to speak). Solo or in small ensembles, performing from memory is not un issue as it's easier to stay together. Personally, the few times I'm able to recall a song from memory, I find performing from memory to be liberating as all the aspects of the song can be changed up any way that suits the moment without regard for messing up a group effort. Harmonies are a little harder to pull off when singing solo.

I actually use an I pad and only glance at it occasionally. Sting uses one. Some bigger bands use a teleprompter. 1__0Rgs3t5-PdTx3hF793IRw.jpg

Top Bottom