Sabbath Prayer (from "Fiddler on the Roof")

Fact #1: Sabbath Prayer has always been my favorite song from Fiddler on the Roof.
Fact #2: A three week visit to Israel in 1982 left a life-long impact on me in ways I never anticipated.

Due to these two unrelated facts and your simple, heartfelt rendition of the song, your video really hit home. I haven’t listened to Sabbath Prayer in years. To hear it now, at this time in history, is exactly what I needed. Thank you for that, John.
Your music always strikes the right chord with me. (Pun intended. :) )

Beautiful version. So very sweet. Thank you for sharing this song. I am praying for PEACE!
Thanks, caukulele! I really appreciate it! I fear the Mideast might be the powder keg that ignites the next World War. I hope and pray this conflict can be resolved peacefully!

Fact #1: Sabbath Prayer has always been my favorite song from Fiddler on the Roof.
Fact #2: A three week visit to Israel in 1982 left a life-long impact on me in ways I never anticipated.

Due to these two unrelated facts and your simple, heartfelt rendition of the song, your video really hit home. I haven’t listened to Sabbath Prayer in years. To hear it now, at this time in history, is exactly what I needed. Thank you for that, John.
Your music always strikes the right chord with me. (Pun intended. :) )
Thanks, Jan! So many great songs from "Fiddler on the Roof" that it's hard to choose a favorite, but this is definitely one of them. I love the scene in the movie where this song is sung, and it's fun watching the family's eyes to gauge what they are thinking. Anyway, I had a free day yesterday and I was trying to decide what song to try, and this one popped into my head immediately and I knew I had to give it a try. I pray not only for the safety of the people in Israel, but also that a peaceful solution can be found to reduce bloodshed on both sides.

Beautifully done, John. Just a technical question: on the layered vocal harmonies toward the end, is that all you, or do I detect an additional person's voice in the higher register? Finally, praying for peace here too.

Beautifully done, John. Just a technical question: on the layered vocal harmonies toward the end, is that all you, or do I detect an additional person's voice in the higher register? Finally, praying for peace here too.
Thanks, Bill! Good or bad, it's all me. That "oh hear our Sabbath prayer" line WAS a tough reach for me! :)

Hahahahaha! You kicked into Bee Gees mode! But seriously, it was very nicely done! (y)
Thanks, Bill! Speaking of the Bee Gees, I didn't care much for them back in the day because I thought they sounded like human Chipmunks (at least during their disco phase), but now that nostalgia has crept in, they sound pretty good to me!

Thanks, Bill! Speaking of the Bee Gees, I didn't care much for them back in the day because I thought they sounded like human Chipmunks (at least during their disco phase), but now that nostalgia has crept in, they sound pretty good to me!
I agree, John, I wasn't a huge Bee Gees fan during the disco years, but I really liked their earlier stuff. One thing I'll always remember (and please forgive the impending hijacking of your thread!) is back in the Fall of 1971, when I was away at college for the first time, still homesick and trying to adjust to dorm and roommate life, I had a little cassette recorder/player and a small collection of cassette tapes that I kept on my desk, and one of those was "Best Of Bee Gees." There were a lot of good songs on it, but the one that always "got to me" was "I Can't See Nobody", on which Robin sang the lead vocal. It absolutely tore me up, but in a beautiful kind of way, if you know what I mean.

I agree, John, I wasn't a huge Bee Gees fan during the disco years, but I really liked their earlier stuff. One thing I'll always remember (and please forgive the impending hijacking of your thread!) is back in the Fall of 1971, when I was away at college for the first time, still homesick and trying to adjust to dorm and roommate life, I had a little cassette recorder/player and a small collection of cassette tapes that I kept on my desk, and one of those was "Best Of Bee Gees." There were a lot of good songs on it, but the one that always "got to me" was "I Can't See Nobody", on which Robin sang the lead vocal. It absolutely tore me up, but in a beautiful kind of way, if you know what I mean.

I have that CD! Yeah, I liked their early stuff, too. While Barry eventually became the voice of the Bee Gees with his trademark falsetto, I think Robin had that angel voice that could really tug at the heart, with songs like "I Started a Joke." It's sad that three of the four brothers are now gone.

It (your voice) definitely sounded “double layered” at that point. Again, it was wonderful!
Thanks so much! I'm finding my voice to be a bit shakier as I age, so I may be double-tracking my voice more and more in future videos. And I've always liked to add harmony to my videos whenever possible. Thank God for GarageBand! :)

I have that CD! Yeah, I liked their early stuff, too. While Barry eventually became the voice of the Bee Gees with his trademark falsetto, I think Robin had that angel voice that could really tug at the heart, with songs like "I Started a Joke." It's sad that three of the four brothers are now gone.
"I Started a Joke", you are so right about that one, John. It taught me something about how, when we ridicule others or spread malicious things, we're really hurting ourselves too. Tim McGraw had a song several years ago that seems to be in the same vein, called "One Of These Days." I'm not a big fan of country in general, but that song also tore me up.

Top Bottom