Roadie 3 tuner

Nickie

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these?
Tuner

I started using the TC Polytune last week and I am really impressed with it. Much better than the Snarks I was using.

TC Electronic POLYTUNE CLIP... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZU4G0ZK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edit: for some reason it looks big in pictures. It’s about the size of my thumb so it’s actually pretty small.

Sorry I can't help Nickie but thanks for asking the question. I've been curious about how easy and accurate they are but not $130 USD interested. There is an off brand name, look a like, for $75 on Amazon but even that's a lot more than tuning by hand using my Snark. If I were performing, like yourself, I would definitely give one a go. They would take one less thing to think about while performing. If my arthritis keeps getting worse it might be worth the money.😁

I've got you on this one...kind of. I have used an earlier version of the Roadie, and I have also been sent versions of the Jowoom Smart Tuner.

The Roadie absolutely works, and there is also a bass version. I prefer the Jowoom, but not because I was sent review models.

Someone at Roadie, at one point, wrote a very angry note to me about a past review. I never heard from the company again, though I did recently request the opportunity to review their Roadie Coach--I may not hear back from them, as I support the Jowoom over the Roadie tuner for what I do. (I have been thinking that the Roadie Coach, it if works as stated, might be a great solution for doing ukulele reviews).

For the record, I bought the Roadie for my school and over the years have also bought some Jowooms. When I present at music education conferences, I show the Jowoom.

The Roadiewould do what it said; but occasionally would flip out and start winding like crazy. When I contacted customer support, they wanted me to program a tuning profile for every instrument. That's not realistic in my school setting (40 student ukuleles, not counting any of my own) or even my personal collection (more than 40). It was also a lot of button presses on the device to make things happen. But it is much better for a wide collection of string instruments including things like taropatch and eight string ukuleles.

The Jowoom is heavier, can occasionally spin like the Roadie (less frequently), has a longer lasting battery (it is larger, like a small water pistol...which made going through TSA kind of interesting last year for music education conferences) but most importantly it has a full auto mode, where you set it to ukulele tuning, and when you turn it on, it remains there and and you can just go from string to string. The Jowoom also works better as a string winder. And it is cheaper. So for a school teacher, like myself, it is a winner. I did have one person contact me who bought one who then tested the tuning against another tuner (like a peterson strobe tuner) and they felt that the Jowoom wasn't as accurate. It is certainly close enough for classroom settings, where instruments are going to go out of tune almost instantly, and

I don't have any ill will towards Roadie (even with the angry e-mail) and would happily review any model and send it back after the review.

I'll include some videos below:

Roadie 2 Tuner Review (2018):

Jowoom and Roadie Tuner Thoughts (2019):

Tuning 40 Ukuleles with the Jowoom this past year (2022)

Thanks for the excellent answer UkeStuff. Was hoping to hear from someone who has experienced these very cool tools. Appreciate your time.

Do these things work with planetary (UPT) tuners? I know they do not work with friction peg tuners.

I like using a conventional tuner and my ears to make fine adjustments. Even temperament is not perfect, and sometimes you have to make adjustments for notes further up the neck.

I like using a conventional tuner and my ears to make fine adjustments. Even temperament is not perfect, and sometimes you have to make adjustments for notes further up the neck.
I don’t think anyone disagrees that there are more accurate tuners, and many people don’t have the sensitivity to pitch to know the difference between equal temperament and just intonation. No one is saying you have to buy one. It’s just an interesting solution for some players.

What these devices do is to take the guesswork out of tuning; and that is a completely reasonable solution. It also works extremely well for those needing to tune a lot of ukuleles without the time to slowly move from ukulele to ukulele with a clip on tuner or tuning fork. When you have 10 minutes before your next class arrives and have 40 ukuleles to tune, it’s a blessing.

Sorry I can't help Nickie but thanks for asking the question. I've been curious about how easy and accurate they are but not $130 USD interested. There is an off brand name, look a like, for $75 on Amazon but even that's a lot more than tuning by hand using my Snark. If I were performing, like yourself, I would definitely give one a go. They would take one less thing to think about while performing. If my arthritis keeps getting worse it might be worth the money.😁
It actually isn't for me personally. A friend who assists me with beginner workshops thinks we need it for rapid tuning of multiple ukes, like 20 at each workshop. We spend an undue amount of time tuning people's ukes. I tire of it quickly, even though I can tune by ear.
We do try to teach them to tune, and encourage them to do it before arriving in workshop 2.

I can't even imagine tuning 20 at a time Nickie. :eek: I thought it would be very cool to have while on stage performing and not struggling to see or hear if in tune between songs. (y)

Do I wrongly assume UPT planetary tuners are not geared but are friction?
They are geared but at a very different ratio that the tuners cannot respond to.

The 4:1 gearing is a completely different “feel” than standard 14:1 Grover’s (for example) and even the Tune-a-lele 6:1 ratio.

I can't even imagine tuning 20 at a time Nickie. :eek: I thought it would be very cool to have while on stage performing and not struggling to see or hear if in tune between songs.
Tuning 20+ student ukes for each workshop is NO fun. You can imagine how much time we waste. Joy got the Roadie tuner, tried it out, and promptly busted 2 strings.

Tuning 20+ student ukes for each workshop is NO fun. You can imagine how much time we waste. Joy got the Roadie tuner, tried it out, and promptly busted 2 strings.
I don’t even like tuning my own ukes and guitars. And I tune them frequently cause if they’re a bit off it bothers me. What I need is one of those “roadies” who is always off to the side and ready to step forward and tune. Oh yeah. That would be ideal.

Top Bottom