Price
Negotiable, willing to pay reasonable price
Shipping
$3.00 or less
Size
Soprano

Oldscruggsfan

Reaction score
Bridge to replace the damaged one pictured here, for a Famous FU120-P soprano.
1689300455054.png
Haven’t given up on repairing this bridge (starting by removing the ugly wood screw between the C and E strings & filling the hole) but would like to find a replacement with a similar (preferably identical) footprint and side profile if possible.

Its a little hard to tell in the pic, but the existing bridge doesn't look too damaged to me. I can't tell if it has just lifted, or are those some small splits by the slot openings? To replace the bridge, you would need to remove the existing one anyway, so it may be worth the attempt to remove it and reglue it. I think the biggest hassle would be getting the correct clamps to clamp it down through the sound hole.

My guess is, if it is as simple as a reglue, it would be a fairly inexpensive repair by a competent luthier.

Its a little hard to tell in the pic, but the existing bridge doesn't look too damaged to me. I can't tell if it has just lifted, or are those some small splits by the slot openings? To replace the bridge, you would need to remove the existing one anyway, so it may be worth the attempt to remove it and reglue it. I think the biggest hassle would be getting the correct clamps to clamp it down through the sound hole.

My guess is, if it is as simple as a reglue, it would be a fairly inexpensive repair by a competent luthier.
Thanks for the guidance & the weekend bump!

There is a fairly large split / break at the base of the arc between the G and C string slots but I’m increasingly confident in my ability to self-repair & re-glue and IMHO the bridge is actually at least 3mm taller than it needed to be.

My primary concern is to avoid sanding so much surface area off the base that the saddle slot is weakened and its upper bout face breaks away the first time I tune up. Stay tuned!

I’m further inclined to go the repair route now that:
1- Kiwaya has quoted a price of 10,000YP (around $73.00 US) to install a replacement bridge but only if I deliver the uke in person🤣.
2- The total cost for CAD setup and 3D printing of a solid plastic copy will be at least $150.00.

The luthier I go to locally charges around $50 to reglue and acoustic guitar bridge. IDK if you have anyone close to you that could do it, but it may be the cheapest route other than DIY.

The luthier I go to locally charges around $50 to reglue and acoustic guitar bridge. IDK if you have anyone close to you that could do it, but it may be the cheapest route other than DIY.
Oldscuggsfan is a competent DIY guy. For 50 bucks, he could probably rebuild the Bay Bridge in San Francisco and have some change left too.

Oldscuggsfan is a competent DIY guy. For 50 bucks, he could probably rebuild the Bay Bridge in San Francisco and have some change left too.
Thanks but you’ve far overstated my abilities. I’d certainly need to practice on, say, the rail trestle over Ichawaynochaway Creek in Edison, GA.

Ebay saddle?I didn't see one on Stew Mac that resembles yours. And reverb doesn't seem to have one. Would this ebay one work? Or a trip to a luthier?

Good luck.

Ebay saddle?I didn't see one on Stew Mac that resembles yours. And reverb doesn't seem to have one. Would this ebay one work? Or a trip to a luthier?

Good luck.
Thanks for the link. That’s certainly better looking than other bridges I’ve found, and I’m guessing that’s an Ebony saddle. I’m strongly considering changing out the factory plastic nut & saddle for ebony.

Just had a thought. Going to reach out to Kenny Hill Guitars. Kenny built several custom ukes with Robert Armstrong’s cartoons (including the Yowl-A-Lele that inspired my Yowling Tom art) back in the 1970’s. Each of them (at least those that I’ve seen in various archived photos) had small, tidy knot-tie bridges with a side profile much like the Famous.

Yeah, maybe finding a junker on ebay, craigslist or wherever to serve as a donor may work. Perhaps contact Jake Wildwood. He seems to have a lot of parts as well as instruments in various conditions. I am not sure what is the best way to contact Jake. Maybe phone or text?

Yeah, maybe finding a junker on ebay, craigslist or wherever to serve as a donor may work. Perhaps contact Jake Wildwood. He seems to have a lot of parts as well as instruments in various conditions. I am not sure what is the best way to contact Jake. Maybe phone or text?
Thanks. I started off by calling Jake, thanks to a link PM-ed by @Patty. He wasn’t willing to sell a bridge, but offered to do the repair if I ship the uke to Vermont.

Kevin of Kinnard ukes has also provided tons of repair guidance in email exchanges.

I emailed Donna Loprinzi earlier today. Long shot but who knows?

Last edited:
Thanks. I started off by calling Jake, thanks to a link PM-ed by @Patty. He wasn’t willing to sell a bridge, but offered to do the repair if I ship the uke to Vermont.

I emailed Donna Loprinzi earlier today. Long shot but who knows?

I imagine Jake may want to hold onto stock for future projects, but it was worth a shot. Maybe contact Brad Donaldson. He is a super nice guy and often seems up for a challenge

I imagine Jake may want to hold onto stock for future projects, but it was worth a shot. Maybe contact Brad Donaldson. He is a super nice guy and often seems up for a challenge
Thanks and I agree. Understandable. Is Brad active here at UUF? I’ll google it but just asking. Wait…forget that I asked. It’s @BuzzBD!

Thanks and I agree. Understandable. Is Brad active here at UUF? I’ll google it but just asking. Wait…forget that I asked. It’s @BuzzBD
I’ve changed the thread title subject to “pending” because a well known luthier has offered to sell me a bridge. I’m not mentioning a name until I receive that luthier’s specific permission to do so but will post “after” pics when the new bridge is in place & the Famous uke is again playable.

Thank you to all who replied!

Last edited:
Top Bottom