Quesnel Bell Choir

ploverwing

Duck Wrangler and Rabbit Herder
Staff member
UU VIP
Reaction score
My step mother plays in th Quesnel Bell Choir. She's not in this clip (I think it was filmed on a day she wasn't at the session), but it's still pretty interesting, especially the bit in the middle where the conductor discusses the bells themselves.

Thanks for sharing this, Amie. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the Quesnel group, as I’ve always been fascinated by bell choirs, and think that playing in one would be great fun.

Thanks for sharing this, Amie. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the Quesnel group, as I’ve always been fascinated by bell choirs, and think that playing in one would be great fun.
I was blown away when my step mother announced she'd joined one! I knew they existed, but the fact that there's one in Quesnel (which is a little town in the middle of pretty much a lot of fairly open space without any other cities particularly close by) surprised me quite a bit.

I'm glad you enjoyed the link Jan!

One of my favourite uses of these instruments is by Walk Off the Earth in Old Town Road:

(I love how they're not precious about gloves :ROFLMAO:)

I’ve thought about using solo bell ringing to explain pentatonic scales. But nope no never…

One of my favourite uses of these instruments is by Walk Off the Earth in Old Town Road:

(I love how they're not precious about gloves :ROFLMAO:)

What a cool video! Great song, and really fun to watch. Clearly they spent a fair bit of time figuring out how to best coordinate the various sounds at their disposal. Especially the two larger handbells, which had a significant delay between the initial ring and the resulting musical sound. Knowing exactly when to initiate the ring - and be able to do so while singing and maintaining the song’s ongoing rhythmical beat - had to be challenging. Fascinating. I love to see people using traditional music instruments in non-traditional ways. It always delights me. :)

Quesnel April 19-24 2024
Thanks for this! I had forgotten about this event. Unfortunately, it's about a month before my daughter & I typically head up to visit my folks, but it's good to know about. I'll have to tell my Dad, he loves bluegrass.

A couple of other great festivals in that general vicinity:

Top Bottom