UU Podcast Private Lessons & Playing Weddings | The Ukulele Underground Podcast #66

15 Years of UU, Playing in Europe, and Playing by Ear​

It's been 15 years of Ukulele Underground, and this week we're back with the 3 uketeers. Aldrine starts off the lesson by explaining what the Private Lessons are, and how they're different from the Live Coaching Sessions. He also ask the audience for some feedback on the Private Lessons. Aldrine explains why they don't play weddings, and the UU team points out the value of good wedding musicians. Aldrine talks about playing in Europe, and the guys give tips for playing by ear, and feel.

Ask Questions Here or Call in your Questions to our Voicemail: (650)761-0989

Questions Asked this Week:

0:08 Back to the 3 Uketeers

2:10 15 Years of UU

9:00 What are the Private Lessons?

13:45 How are the Private Lessons structured?

16:30 Why are the Private Lessons only 15 minutes?

20:10 What is the difference between Private Lessons and Live Coaching?

22:55 We like Seeing UUer's Progress

25:10 You can also ask questions and send us videos for review

27:30 Would you want more Private Lessons?

33:05 Have you played weddings before? Why don't you usually do Weddings?

36:00 Wedding Musicians are Amazing

41:35 Please Pay and Feed the Musicians

46:30 Have you played in Europe?

47:30 The difference between Hawaii and Europe Ukulele Players

51:00 Any advice on playing by ear?

56:25 Pros and Cons of Learning Visually and by Hearing

58:35 Playing by Feel

1:03:10 How does playing a different sized ukulele affect playing by feel?

1:06:00 Aldrine's Favorite Blind Musician

References/Resources for this video:
Aloha Friday - December 30, 2022 New Year Jam Replay
TUUP #65 - UU Christmas Party
Website - Kanile`a `Ukulele
Uke Lesson - Lovesong

Website - Scotty's Music Kauai
Masterclass - Chris Salvador
Masterclass - Bruce Shimabukuro
Masterclass - Craig Chee
Masterclass - Craig Chee II
Duos - Kyle Furusho
UU+ Seminar - How to Make a Song BIG with Neal
UU+ Seminar - Matching Chords and Scale Positions with Neal
Masterclass - Imua Garza
Lesson Library - UU University
Improvement System - Practice Sessions
Song Library - UU+ Solos

Website - Oasis on the Beach
Uke Lesson - Bob's Burgers Theme

Youtube - Andy Eastwood
Youtube - ukulelezaza
Youtube - Ukulele Uff
Youtube - Dead Mans Uke
Youtube - Bad Mouse Orchestra

TLL - Playing in the Dark
Uke Minutes - Chord Families
Ukulele 102 – Week 4: Chord Families
Music Theory – Week 7: Chord Families
Uke Lesson - Tropical Hawaiian Day
Song Library - Search for Songs in Certain Keys
UU+ Solos - Bodysurfing
Youtube - Shawn Ishimoto
Youtube - Opihi Pickers

Podcast Archive
Old Live Lesson Archive (August 7th, 2014 - March 1st, 2018)
Aloha Friday Jam Live
Aloha Friday Jam Replays

Buy Curated Ukuleles and Select Lessons from the UU Shop
Post Videos to Student Review
Send Questions to Questions@ukuleleunderground.com
Call in Questions to our Voicemail: (650)761-0989

Attachments

• TUUP 66.png
    TUUP 66.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 989
I don't know how I came across this thread recently, but it got me to sign up for membership and I just had my first private lesson today! It's super easy to sign up and it was a pleasure chatting with Aldrine. It's hard to believe how easy it is to gain access to someone at his level!!

We started with me playing something for him, which I got a little nervous and ended up forgetting a part and cutting short.. but it was enough for him to see where I was at and immediately help with my form and technique. Then he gave me some pointers on how to start learning to solo.

The lesson does go pretty quick, but he was able to assess and provide strong feedback in no time. Now it's up to me to apply and practice practice practice. I've already been putting the tips to use and I can't wait to keep improving for the next lesson!

I don't know how I came across this thread recently

Honestly, I only started these threads recently. :ROFLMAO: I've been backdating them to keep them from clogging the New Posts feed, and I have a lot more to go...but it has always driven me crazy that there's been ZERO Ukulele Underground-original content here.

I get it, I get it -- they post that stuff at YouTube, Spotify and such, and they set up this forum to be member-to-member communication, but

0fc.gif

Anybody who's not interested in UU podcasts and jams can ignore these threads, and that's a-okay with me. I think that more people should be using the Ignore function more often to tailor the forums experience that they want....but this is such great content! This really is the most fun I have watching or listening to anything all week. (Moreso the podcasts than the jams for me, but the jams are a gas too.) So much energy, laughter, and occasionally even learning some stuff. :ROFLMAO: Okay, maybe sometimes learning more about hot sauce and chocolate than music, but a lot of music too. LOL If you've ever wanted to tackle music theory with people who are laughing the whole time, here ya go! LOL

It has also driven me nuts that more people don't know just how good Aldrine Guerrero is as both a player and a teacher. He's got actual education in both music and teaching, has a background in classical music (on the clarinet no less), shreds like a demon and sings like an angel. Once you put playing and singing together, I think Aldrine is alone at the pinnacle of ukulele greatness, but hey, that's me. Honestly, I don't think even Aldrine would agree with me about that, but I'm right. :)

Of COURSE some people are going to want to go with James Hill or RockClass 101 for whatever reasons (with both James Hill and RC's Matt Dahlberg having appeared multiple times as guests on the UU podcast), or any of the other great teachers out there (I'm on the record recommending Matt Stead, for example), but Aldrine needs to be part of more of these conversations. No matter how advanced you are, Aldrine can do more to get you to next level in less time than anyone out there.

It's honestly inconceivable to me that he's doing 1-on-1 lessons on top of all the pre-recorded stuff. James Hill isn't doing that. Neither is Matt Dahlberg. (Matt does in fact do lessons, but he hasn't had a single opening for a new student in all the years I've subscribed to him.) A lot of the other people who've done them along the way are trying to get out of it to focus on online stuff, while Aldrine has been curtailing his online stuff do MORE 1-on-1 lessons for people who want more than what he's currently offering.

He's been doing these for so long that, as you note, @hands_on_lanzon, he's a master of getting straight to the point of finding what you want, and pointing the way to get there. And yeah, the way is ultimately to practice, but he'll help you focus on WHAT to practice.

I'm obviously a fan and a true believer, but I try not to be too annoying about it, both for Aldrine's sake and everyone else's. LOL So I'm all the more glad that you've posted something so enthusiastic and heartfelt coming straight out of your first one on one session! I love it, and I'm so happy for you!

I'm certainly not interested in ramping up the commercial aspects of the forum, and have expressed my interest in streamlining the ad system, returning ad blocking for VIP members, etc. -- but I'm VERY interested in creating more integrations across the various aspects of what I'm calling the Ukulele Underground Cinematic Universe for people who want it, and for the many people who had no idea they wanted it, but might after they see it. :)

Thanks again, @hands_on_lanzon!

Honestly, I only started these threads recently. :ROFLMAO:
Okay!! I'm not going completely crazy. I was looking for this thread to add my post and I was thinking, how in the world was it so long ago?!?

this is such great content! This really is the most fun I have watching or listening to anything all week. (Moreso the podcasts than the jams for me, but the jams are a gas too.) So much energy, laughter, and occasionally even learning some stuff.
I'm super stoked that you triggered these and I have more and more content that I've been missing, but now get to catch up on! I've seen a few here and there, but haven't gotten into binge mode. I think it's about time!

A lot of the other people who've done them along the way are trying to get out of it to focus on online stuff, while Aldrine has been curtailing his online stuff do MORE 1-on-1 lessons for people who want more than what he's currently offering.
This is awesome!! TBH, when I first heard about the lessons being first come first serve, I thought it'd be impossible to book a slot. Then when I went to sign up, there were plenty and he goes a long time! I was amazed how much time he devotes to it!

Thanks again, @hands_on_lanzon!
My pleasure!!!! Thank YOU for all your considerate and well thought out work on UU!!

while Aldrine has been curtailing his online stuff do MORE 1-on-1 lessons for people who want more than what he's currently offering.
Wow.
I'm VERY interested in creating more integrations across the various aspects of what I'm calling the Ukulele Underground Cinematic Universe for people who want it, and for the many people who had no idea they wanted it, but might after they see it.
Yes!

Great advice about weddings (it's not about you) and learning by ear (chord families).

Chord families tie right in with the Putts' reply #13 in the Chords by Scale Resource thread.

Last edited:
I don't know how I came across this thread recently, but it got me to sign up for membership and I just had my first private lesson today! It's super easy to sign up and it was a pleasure chatting with Aldrine. It's hard to believe how easy it is to gain access to someone at his level!!

We started with me playing something for him, which I got a little nervous and ended up forgetting a part and cutting short.. but it was enough for him to see where I was at and immediately help with my form and technique. Then he gave me some pointers on how to start learning to solo.

The lesson does go pretty quick, but he was able to assess and provide strong feedback in no time. Now it's up to me to apply and practice practice practice. I've already been putting the tips to use and I can't wait to keep improving for the next lesson!
Stoked that you signed up for a lesson! Please let me know how the Britni lesson turns out. It was very nice to meet and work with you.
You got some chops, my dude! Lets work together and sharpen them even further!

Stoked that you signed up for a lesson! Please let me know how the Britni lesson turns out. It was very nice to meet and work with you.
You got some chops, my dude! Lets work together and sharpen them even further!
I've been more aware of my form, working on some soloing, and trying to get that piece down pat for my lesson with Brittni tomorrow. I can feel myself leveling up! 📈

Super Saiyan, here I come!! 🔥😠🔥

Okay, you've convinced me! I haven't had a music lesson since I was a teenager, and the prospect is scary, but I'm watching this podcast now and it makes the prospect less scary, so, you know, what could possibly go wrong :).

Actually... what's put me off so far is that I have no idea how to prepare for the first one. But I suppose that the worst that can happen is that I get told how to prepare for the second one. So let's see how it goes!

Actually... what's put me off so far is that I have no idea how to prepare for the first one. But I suppose that the worst that can happen is that I get told how to prepare for the second one. So let's see how it goes!

Funnily enough, in the most recent jam, Aldrine addressed this directly, and he's happy to start wherever anybody is, expert, beginner, or somewhere in between -- but the one thing he's NOT looking for is for people to over-prepare for their first lesson!

As you surmise, he's seen a few folks since he started doing this 15 years ago, and can definitely help you find your way to the next level!

Let us know how it goes!

So I just had a lesson. I was surprised there was a slot so soon and so I took the slot before I had time to get too scared :). Even for an introductory thing it was helpful. I said a bit about my background, Aldrine gave me a few exercises and it turned out I knew a bit more than I thought which was nice! It was a kind of a "get to know you" session so definitely no need to worry about preparing!

Mind, next time, I'd better do these exercises first :). Looking forward to the next one and seeing where it goes...

Top Bottom