Practice journal

clear

Reaction score
I accidentally started a practice journal a few months ago. Been consistently updating it after every practice session. It's actually surprisingly helpful with my practice efficiency and motivation. It's the first time I've kept a practice journal; and, so far, it's been a very rewarding experience.

After each practice session, I'd write how I feel, reflections, plans, and sometimes just random thoughts. This helped me get more out of the practice by reminding me the issues and letting me to think a little more about the session (i.e. maybe an analogy is like how certain workouts can continue to burn fat even after the active workout, i.e. you get "free" workout; so the journal organized my mind; allowing me to internalize the practice better; and hence, pick up where I left off more efficiently on the next practice session).

Oh boy, that's more then I expected to write. I was never that good writer; so hopefully, I've gotten the message across. Anyway, it's something that I think has helped me and thought I'd share.

I should probably try this. I’ve fallen off the wagon when it comes to practicing lately, and I generally find journaling enjoyable and useful. I also have lots of blank journals that I could use.

"This helped me get more out of the practice by reminding me the issues and letting me to think a little more about the session"

Great idea. I do the lazy approach sometimes, (and certainly not regularly), of sticking post-it notes on what I'm working on, but I can't track anything over time that way, and sometimes those post-it notes disappear. (I had a dog who thought they were tasty treats. LOL.)
Your approach would allow looking at progress, finding consistencies with what needs work, and give a lot more thought to the process.

A bit more details (because there's an added dimension to this accidental journal that's kind of interesting). My journal isn't on paper; it is online :)

It all happened by accident (for the curious https://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?t=58445 ; user=clearlake ) when somebody posted asking people to mention what they practiced. I usually record my practice sessions, so I decided to include the candid video in the entries (not really expecting people to watch since it's unedited and long and boring; more for my own bookkeeping). The interesting thing is I've actually gotten feedback on my practice!

I think a regular book-form practice journal is a fine idea; but I just wanted to clarify that my journal happens to be online and the extra twists that brings.

Oh, sorry about the practice being guitar. As I've said many times, I do play the uke almost everyday; but I don't practice it (hence my skills haven't improved as much as somebody with 3 year's worth of uke learning... because I don't have 3 year's worth of learning. Hahaha). I've pretty much stopped active learning after 6 month because the uke is such a wonderful instrument that inside 6 months, I've gotten to a place that I needed to be with the uke for the rest of my life :)

I’ve tried a journal every year but have never had the discipline to maintain it.

This year I simplified it down to just a checkbox (did I music today?) and have been able to keep it within a day of up to date. I’m doing it on paper and originally planned to use different colors for different instruments, but failed quickly when I played guitar, bass, and uke on New Years Day. Next year I may do the same system digitally so I can have different layers for different instruments. Yup. There I go complicating it again.

I like the concept of posting one’s proof-of-sweat as a motivator, but I haven’t succeeded at that for more than a week. I may try again with a more focused standard for this years 100 days project.

F6A3AC78-59A6-4A12-BF00-806A49F24149.jpeg

That's really cool; but I'm not sure if it'll bring on the main benefits of journal-keeping which is (IMHO) the reflective/contemplative segment of whatever the journal is about... because I just can't remember why I colored all those days :)

That's really cool; but I'm not sure if it'll bring on the main benefits of journal-keeping which is (IMHO) the reflective/contemplative segment of whatever the journal is about... because I just can't remember why I colored all those days :)
Yes. It’s a motivational tool not a reflective tool. Can’t skip a day and leave an uncoloured spot!

I already can’t remember which days were guitar (most), which were uke (most), which were bass (a few) and which were piano (disappointingly few)

I already can’t remember which days were guitar (most), which were uke (most), which were bass (a few) and which were piano (disappointingly few)

What you need is a color coded system !

Blue = guitar (light blue = good days; dark blue = bad days)
Red = uke (because red = celebration/happiness)
And Brown = piano (because you've already colored a few days in brown; since you can't remember which instrument, just assume it was piano :)

What you need is a color coded system !

That was the original plan, but I didn’t think of a good way to handle multiple instruments in the same day. In retrospect, I could have filled them in the next day when I knew how they’d end up. Maybe I’ll reprint and fudge the first two weeks then continue with that.

I’m fancy though. I have metallics! gold guitar, silver uke, bronze bass, not sure for pizza (thank you auto-incorrect, but I’m leaving it because: pizza!)

I was thinking of starting a journal recently. My concern is making it easy for my lazy self to keep updating it.

Why did you choose electronic? Is it not more cumbersome to upload videos than a simple pad and pen that can be done in space of a few seconds?

I ask because I'm thinking whether to go old school or log it online too.

That's a really good idea. I'm either scatterbrained or ADD, and my practice is often almost random, which impairs my progress considerably. I wondered if there was a ready-made, dedicated musical practice journal out there already. Turns out there's quite a few options. Amazon has some inexpensive ones, and Etsy has some nice options. There's also some free printable ones at https://theonlinemetronome.com/practice-journal

I'll probably end up designing my own eventually, with a system for instruments and genres. I appreciate the idea, it's a more rigorous approach to improvement than my "chasing squirrels" current model.

Why did you choose electronic? Is it not more cumbersome to upload videos than a simple pad and pen that can be done in space of a few seconds?

I started my journal accidentally (basically somebody posted something about practice on an online forum, and I responded and it grew into my practice journal). Hence, it;s in electronic format. Over the few months, I've gotten better at making the journal more effective.

1. I record my practice because I sometimes want to review it (e.g. to duplicate a nice tone or check that my notes are correct, check my fingers, did I damp the right notes, etc.) As a side benefit: I have almost 2 years' worth of progress videos; sometimes I'd watch some old videos and see that I've improved (this goes to the motivation factor).

2. I upload my raw practice videos because, before I practice, I'd read my practice journal entry; and sometimes I want to watch a bit of my previous practice video to help with the details of my issues. I upload the raw/candid video to avoid editing time. By the time I finishe typing my journal entry, the video is already uploaded and all I have to do is link it.

3. What is interesting, is the unexpected support I get from online readers. (I never intended to keep a practice journal and definitely didn't expect to keep it public and online, but it just happened... and... it's turning out ok.) I like the encouragements (who doesn't?), so although sometimes I feel a bit exposed; it's ok.

If I have to do it all over again; I'd definitely keep it electronic (but maybe not public; I don't really need any validations because I already have people who are reviewing my practice results. However, if I didn't, then keeping it public isn't bad at all).

I started my journal accidentally (basically somebody posted something about practice on an online forum, and I responded and it grew into my practice journal). Hence, it;s in electronic format. Over the few months, I've gotten better at making the journal more effective.

1. I record my practice because I sometimes want to review it (e.g. to duplicate a nice tone or check that my notes are correct, check my fingers, did I damp the right notes, etc.) As a side benefit: I have almost 2 years' worth of progress videos; sometimes I'd watch some old videos and see that I've improved (this goes to the motivation factor).

2. I upload my raw practice videos because, before I practice, I'd read my practice journal entry; and sometimes I want to watch a bit of my previous practice video to help with the details of my issues. I upload the raw/candid video to avoid editing time. By the time I finishe typing my journal entry, the video is already uploaded and all I have to do is link it.

3. What is interesting, is the unexpected support I get from online readers. (I never intended to keep a practice journal and definitely didn't expect to keep it public and online, but it just happened... and... it's turning out ok.) I like the encouragements (who doesn't?), so although sometimes I feel a bit exposed; it's ok.

If I have to do it all over again; I'd definitely keep it electronic (but maybe not public; I don't really need any validations because I already have people who are reviewing my practice results. However, if I didn't, then keeping it public isn't bad at all).

Thanks for sharing! You've inspired me to start one too. Keep it simple and raw and just record simply to make it less work for myself. I was thinking electronic does have advantages just as you mentioned you can look/listen back. It even logs the hours just by looking at the total runtime of all the videos.

I will most like upload the videos as unlisted though, and maybe share the link to particular ones if the occasion warrants it.

I accidentally started a practice journal a few months ago. Been consistently updating it after every practice session. It's actually surprisingly helpful with my practice efficiency and motivation. It's the first time I've kept a practice journal; and, so far, it's been a very rewarding experience.

After each practice session, I'd write how I feel, reflections, plans, and sometimes just random thoughts. This helped me get more out of the practice by reminding me the issues and letting me to think a little more about the session (i.e. maybe an analogy is like how certain workouts can continue to burn fat even after the active workout, i.e. you get "free" workout; so the journal organized my mind; allowing me to internalize the practice better; and hence, pick up where I left off more efficiently on the next practice session).

Oh boy, that's more then I expected to write. I was never that good writer; so hopefully, I've gotten the message across. Anyway, it's something that I think has helped me and thought I'd share.
A few days ago, "Cory Teaches Music" recommended keeping a practice journal, using a metronome, learning the E chord, and recording yourself playing - audio and video. I'm proud to say that I have a metronome. : )

Like I said you've inspired me and I have been uploading raw videos like you, but keeping the videos unlisted. I haven't watched back on them yet, but writing what I practiced as the description of each video after I upload helps me recap what my practice session entailed. I find my practice a bit more focused now that I have a camera trained on me. Funnily enough, I went from noodling mindlessly to now thinking that just half an hour is not really a lot of time and I need to be more efficient! My practice is more consistent and slightly longer than before. Perhaps it puts me in a focused mindset.

Definitely recommended to try this out!

Attachments

• 1675321994724.png
    1675321994724.png
    391.5 KB · Views: 8
I keep a practice journal too, and I definitely find it helps. You know what I DON'T do, or at least haven't yet? Go back and read any of it. :ROFLMAO: Do y'all read yours?

Now let's take to the next level. Maybe a couple levels above THAT. I know I can't be the only Pat Metheny fan here -- easily the most decorated guitarist in jazz history, sold a gajilion records, etc. He's only a few years older than I am, and I've been following him since we were both teenagers in the early 70s, when he played electric 12-string in Gary Burton's band.

He's one of my favorite musicians (in the 70s, it was Springsteen, Rundgren, and Metheny towering over everyone but The Beatles), but I also love how he THINKS about music, and how he TALKS about it. One of the things he's spoken about a lot is his journaling practice. After every gig, he writes 10 pages of notes about how he played, what he played, what he did well, what he needs to work on, band stuff, you name it.

TEN PAGES. BY HAND. After EVERY gig, and this is a guy who plays 100-150 gigs a year or more. He's been following this practice since 1983, when he took a detour from his own band to lead a trio with Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins, the bassist and drummer respectively of Ornette Coleman's innovative late-50s, early-60s quartet. That's tens of thousands of pages over the years...which he admits might be a sign of some kind of mental illness. :) I think it is, honestly, but it's working for him, so I wouldn't sweat it, and hope he doesn't either.

He's also kind of adorable talking about it. I tried to embed this starting at where begins talking about, at 1:02:35.

Maybe I'll start a Pat Metheny thread in General Chat rather than go any farther off topic here, but I'd love to know what you good folks are doing with your journals. For me, it's enough to write it down. You?

Last edited:
I keep a practice journal too, and I definitely find it helps. You know what I DON'T do, or at least haven't yet? Go back and read any of it. :ROFLMAO: Do y'all read yours?

Now let's take to the next level. Maybe a couple levels about THAT. I know I can't be the only Pat Metheny fan here -- easily the most decorated guitarist in jazz history, sold a gajilion records, etc. He's only a few years older than I am, and I've been following him since we were both teenagers in the early 70s, when he played electric 12-string in Gary Burton's band.

He's one of my favorite musicians (in the 70s, it was Springsteen, Rundgren, and Metheny towering over everyone but The Beatles), but I also love how he THINKS about music, and how he TALKS about it. One of the things he's spoken about a lot is his journaling practice. After every gig, he writes 10 pages of notes about how he played, what he played, what he did well, what he needs to work on, band stuff, you name it.

TEN PAGES. BY HAND. After EVERY gig, and this is a guy who plays 100-150 gigs a year or more. He's been following this practice since 1983, when he took a detour from his own band to lead a trio with Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins, the bassist and drummer respectively of Ornette Coleman's innovative late-50s, early-60s quartet. That's tens of thousands of pages over the years...which he admits might be a sign of some kind of mental illness. :) I think it is, honestly, but it's working for him, so I wouldn't sweat it, and hope he doesn't either.

He's also kind of adorable talking about it. I tried to embed this starting at where begins talking about, at 1:02:35.

Maybe I'll start a Pat Metheny thread in General Chat rather than go any farther off topic here, but I'd love to know what you good folks are doing with your journals. For me, it's enough to write it down. You?

Do you think that’s a wig?

Do you think that’s a wig?

Nope. Definitely not. I've seriously (and I do mean SERIOUSLY) followed Pat since 1975. I've seen him live many times, and on video hundreds of more times. He's always had a moptop, to say the least. Maybe it got a little shaggier during the pandemic, but only a little.

metheny.jpg

1024px-Pat_metheny_orch2.jpg

I hope that you are not shocked to discover that I'm unusually attentive to hair. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Top Bottom