plastic ukes?

Gerald_G

Reaction score
My sister is looking into a plastic uke. Specifically she wants it for canoe trips, so the odds of a dunking are indeed possible.
I have played a Beaver Creek Ulina, and know about Kala Waterman.
Question is, what else should we look into? Recommendations, suggestions please.

Donner RISING U. Check out the review by Baz. My only disagreement has to do with the strings. Mine have none of the floppiness that Baz experienced. Everything about it is fun and easy. I even like the bright red color! I ordered mine from Amazon shortly after the review, it was reduced to $99. During Black Friday sales the prices went down to the mid 50s. Worth checking because at that price it’s a really really good deal.

I'll second the Enya Nova. Well made, look nice and sound nice.

My sister is looking into a plastic uke. Specifically she wants it for canoe trips, so the odds of a dunking are indeed possible.
Question is, what else should we look into? Recommendations, suggestions please.
I will second the Outdoor uke. I have a tenor and it’s pretty indestructible. Sounds pretty good for plastic. I would avoid the clear one though. That’s all they had when I ordered mine and I had to put Fremont black line strings on as clear strings on a clear fretboard was tough. I think the carbon black and brown are in stock right now.

Check out Got a Uke's review of the Enya Nova U Pro Tenor.

the clear Outdoor tenor is great. You might want to add side dots to the neck but it's simple. 3/32 black side dot rods from Stewmac and a sharp 3/32 drill are all you need. locate the hole location and drill slowly. The bit will pass thru a layer of neck material and stop up against a 2nd layer. Stick the rod end in the hole as far as it will go after adding a tiny bit of superglue. let it dry for a minute and cut it off, leaving about 1/4". when you have the side dots done trim with a razor blade.
For the more adventurous out there...a 2" hole saw makes the slickest side sound port in minutes. drill a 1/8th" pilot hole first. It is simple to sand the hole smooth. The increase in volume aimed at the player is astounding. fill it full of Christmas lights and have some holiday fun

Attachments

• 20221201_151530.jpg
    20221201_151530.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221201_152814.jpg
    20221201_152814.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Donner RISING U. Check out the review by Baz. My only disagreement has to do with the strings. Mine have none of the floppiness that Baz experienced. Everything about it is fun and easy. I even like the bright red color! I ordered mine from Amazon shortly after the review, it was reduced to $99. During Black Friday sales the prices went down to the mid 50s. Worth checking because at that price it’s a really really good deal.
I will second the vote on the Rising U. I have had both a Tenor and Soprano Outdoor ukulele. IMHO the Donner sounds less plasticity. If you can, try them all before you buy. Everyone has a different preference. And not a knock to Outdoor Ukuleles, they are good instruments.

Go somewhere and play them or have a salesperson demonstrate them, and then pull a good one off the wall. That’s the advice I give to my students.

I understand this isn’t possible for everyone, but if you are near a store that sells them then that’s the best way to do it.

I have a $50 Waterman that I have been teaching with for a few years. I’ve taught lessons and groups with it. It’s totally fine for what I need. The ones hanging around it on the wall were not.

I’m not recommending a Waterman, and if you order one online you will likely get a bad one. But if you try out a dozen hanging on a wall in a shop? I think your chances are good.

If you have to just order it online, I only have experience with the Fluke Uke. I was happy with the one I got.

Best luck!

Here's a cheap, familiar looking travel style uke on Etsy, 3D printed I think and likely no projection

The new all plastic Flight ultra could work too, if/when available.

Last edited:
Damn, why did I read this thread? Now, I have to be a new Uke for the outdoors :)

Damn, why did I read this thread? Now, I have to be a new Uke for the outdoors :)
I know the feeling. The first time I ever played a uke outdoors it got wet in the blowing rain even though I was under a pavilion! I tried one of the plastic Flights and it was terrible so I returned it. I've heard a Waterman and it too was pretty bad. Someone in the group I sometimes play with has an Outdoor Ukulele and it sounds very nice though I'm not a big fan of the transparent look and they only come in soprano and tenor and I'm a concert player. I tried an Enya Nova from Amazon when it was on sale (less than $70) and I was surprised at how nice it sounded so it's now going to be my outdoor uke. They're currently on sale on Amazon at less than half the price of an Outdoor Ukulele.

Like everything else, outdoors have gone up in price over the years... and there is more competition in this segment. they were great when $105-115, but now are a little harder to justify at $145

Outdoor if soprano or tenor and if willing to pay. Enya if looking for concert and a less expensive option. Avoid the waterman.

Buying the Waterman is just asking for it to end up in the lake. :)

Buying the Waterman is just asking for it to end up in the lake. :)
yes, whatever you do, don't buy a waterman. i knew they weren't much chop,
but was amazed at just how terrible...my local store stocked them for awhile...
i picked up and played every one in the shop - about a dozen -
and the intonation was laughable...every string off before the 5th fret.
even first position chords. plus the sound...like drowning in a toilet :poop:

I rec staying with the known brands already mentioned... but Amz and Aliex also have some if you feel like rolling the dice. The transparent ones and dayone (different than the one I reviewed called "the one") are prob no better than watermen, but I'm tempted to try this one... shipping is almost as much as the uke but still brings the total to only about $70 (compared to $215 on amz). Concerts aren't that common.

OK! Enough of the Waterman bashing. I have the concert. When I got it the action was sky high and the intonation was way off. Don't recall the strings it came with. So. Filed nut slots, sanded the saddle (which was removable in spite of reports of it not being). Put on some Fremont Blacklines (low G). Got the action acceptable and the intonation is spot on. It sounds fine for what it is-not great but for $50 sounds fine. And it seems pretty indestructible too. So, if you're willing to spend a bit of time on it....... Of course as always YMMV. Oh and NFI.

Top Bottom