Pineapple baritone?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen or played one? A google search reveals one old UU post. Curious as to why these aren't a thing.

Sounds delicious. Never seen one though

Hmm, does this count?

I think the tall skinny instrument is an erhu - but what's the big fat round one? It looks a little like a shamisen but that only has 3 strings and a much smaller, more or less square-ish body.

I think the tall skinny instrument is an erhu - but what's the big fat round one? It looks a little like a shamisen but that only has 3 strings and a much smaller, more or less square-ish body.

The round instrument is a zhongruan mostly tuned G2 D3 G3 D4 and played with fingerpicks.

Some players tighten the strings a bit to GDAE same fingering as octave mandolin, mandolin, violin. This lets them reuse skills when playing or doubling.

Zhongruan has been played for approx 2000 years.

It is popular in China, and with youth heritage bands in overseas Chinese communities.

Good sources are YouTube intros, music schools in Chinatowns, a couple internet sellers with English language sites, and Chinese language sites.

Last edited:
Oh dang, now there are two more instruments I want to learn to play.

I want to play nearly every instrument in the world! Like that's an achievable goal ...

Top Bottom