Picking up the uke again. Hello from Singapore!

Freya Vie

Reaction score
Hello everyone, it's great to be here!

The first time I learnt to play the ukulele was in 2014. Unfortunately, with zero guidance, I taught myself 1 song and subsequently gave up. I thought I had to learn by songs... Oh, how wrong was I! In 2021, during the Covid pandemic, I taught myself again. But a few months in, I gave birth to my secondborn and have stopped playing since then. Now, I'm ready to pick up where I left off. So here's to a new beginning again.

I look forward to meet new friends here and learn something new while I'm at it!

So tell me, if you can only live with 1 ukulele, which one will it be?

If that question is too difficult, then tell me, how do you spend your Sunday mornings? :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the UU forums and welcome back to ukulele!

For now, my "if I could only have one" would be my aNueNue Moonbird soprano. But I don't have to have only one, so I don't!

As for Sunday mornings, I like to sleep in a bit if I can, but usually it's still just another day for us because we have animal chores to do on our farm. If I have nothing else happening after those are out of the way, then I like to do a bit of knitting while I enjoy a hot beverage 😊

Aloha! Welcome! Don't be hard on yourself--a 'uke journey with just a straight line would be really boring, and what kind of story is that?

I just got a new Pono Master Series tenor and I'm still in the puppy love stages for sure, definitely that one.

Since my younger brother in law passed away in August I haven't been sleeping as well. I tend to get up between 5AM-7AM every day now, so I'll just make some coffee and tune up my 'uke. Since my partner sleeps much later, and I usually have a sleeping kitty on my lap, I tend to play very softly during these hours. This is great finesse practice anyhow :) My family has experienced a lot of loss this year and I've found both a lot of solace in music, in the ukulele, and in the really cool ukulele community. Glad you are part of it!

Hello and welcome, @Freya Vie. I'm glad you've found the time to pursue music and ukulele again. To answer your question honestly, any ukulele would satisfy me. And Sunday mornings have always been special for me, for various reasons. So, now you know a lot about me. I look forward to hearing more about you.

Last edited:
Greetings @Freya Vie and welcome to the UU forums! I confess that I headed straight for your Instagram, and I love it! I was especially happy to see your cover of Flowers! This is one that I'm trying to learn, and like you, I've been working with Ricky Somborn's lovely tutorial.

That's a beautiful Kmise ukulele in that video (and Summertime too, I think?), but I don't see it listed in your signature with your other ukes. This will allow me to turn the tables and ask YOU: if you could only have one, which would it be? And isn't it nice that we can have more than one? :)

So not only welcome to Ukulele Underground, but also welcome BACK to the ukulele! We're so glad that you found us!

Cheers,
Tim
Mod

Just one? Why do you torture us this way... we just met!

Okay, okay... My Pono Baritone if I could only grab one and the house was on fire.

And: I spend Sunday mornings correcting my eighth grader's home work and writing the assignment for the next week...

Welcome to the UU forums and welcome back to ukulele!

For now, my "if I could only have one" would be my aNueNue Moonbird soprano. But I don't have to have only one, so I don't!

As for Sunday mornings, I like to sleep in a bit if I can, but usually it's still just another day for us because we have animal chores to do on our farm. If I have nothing else happening after those are out of the way, then I like to do a bit of knitting while I enjoy a hot beverage 😊
Thank you so much!

That's a beautiful choice. You're right, we don't have to worry about having only 1!

Oh.. that's nice. I have always imagined what it's like to live on an actual farm. Your mornings sound amazing btw. Have a good day today! :)

Aloha! Welcome! Don't be hard on yourself--a 'uke journey with just a straight line would be really boring, and what kind of story is that?

I just got a new Pono Master Series tenor and I'm still in the puppy love stages for sure, definitely that one.

Since my younger brother in law passed away in August I haven't been sleeping as well. I tend to get up between 5AM-7AM every day now, so I'll just make some coffee and tune up my 'uke. Since my partner sleeps much later, and I usually have a sleeping kitty on my lap, I tend to play very softly during these hours. This is great finesse practice anyhow :) My family has experienced a lot of loss this year and I've found both a lot of solace in music, in the ukulele, and in the really cool ukulele community. Glad you are part of it!
Thank you, Izzy! Thanks for the wonderful reminder :)

Wow, sounds like an amazing uke! What kind of tonewood is yours made of?

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in your quiet mornings, sleepy cat, beautiful uke and your loved ones. 🤍

I used to dread waking up early. Now, I too find serenity in the early mornings. Have a wonderful day, Izzy!

Hello and welcome, @Freya Vie. I'm glad you've found the time to pursue music and ukulele again. To answer your question honestly, any ukulele would satisfy me. And Sunday mornings have always been special for me, for various reasons. So, now you know a lot about me. I look forward to hearing more about you.
Thank you so much! Any uke is better than no uke at all :) Sunday mornings are really great, isn't it? May we all find serenity and bliss in our Sunday mornings :)

Greetings @Freya Vie and welcome to the UU forums! I confess that I headed straight for your Instagram, and I love it! I was especially happy to see your cover of Flowers! This is one that I'm trying to learn, and like you, I've been working with Ricky Somborn's lovely tutorial.

That's a beautiful Kmise ukulele in that video (and Summertime too, I think?), but I don't see it listed in your signature with your other ukes. This will allow me to turn the tables and ask YOU: if you could only have one, which would it be? And isn't it nice that we can have more than one? :)

So not only welcome to Ukulele Underground, but also welcome BACK to the ukulele! We're so glad that you found us!

Cheers,
Tim
Mod

Hello, Tim! Thank you so much for swinging by my IG!

I have never heard of Flowers until recently, and immediately fell in love with the song and had to attempt a cover. Ricky Somborn's tutorials are so much fun!

Yeah about that Kmise.. :( I really do like it too. But I'm in the midst of selling it away because I came to realize that I might have bought an imitation from AliExpress.

It's really great that we can have more than one, hehe. But if I had to choose among what I have, I'd go with the Uma Spruce Top Cutaway concert. This was an impulse buy but it blew my mind. It sounds lovely, not too bright, it's light, the texture is great and the playability is amazing!

I'm happy to be a part of UU. Have an amazing day, Tim!

Okay, okay... My Pono Baritone if I could only grab one and the house was on fire.

And: I spend Sunday mornings correcting my eighth grader's home work and writing the assignment for the next week...
I'm sorry! I laughed a little when I read the first line 🤭

I bought a baritone during Black Friday. I haven't played one before, so feeling a bit nervous just waiting for its arrival!

You must make a wonderful teacher. Well, I hope you have an amazing day today!

Hello and welcome to Ukulele Underground! For reasons I won't go into here, Mondays are really my Sunday but what better way than to chill and have a strum! My first 'proper' uke was a Snail tenor ukulele and, to be honest, if I could have just one, it would be that, but I also love my Magic Fluke Firefly banjo ukulele and Kala 8-string baritone. It sounds like you already have Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome!

Welcome to UU, Freya Vie!
Only 1 uke, mmmm. I'm happy I don't need to limit myself to just one. (If I didn't have the option of having more, maybe I'd go for my bari, which I can capo if I want GCEA tuning.)

However, I still love my first uke, a cheap Donner DUT-3. Theoretically, I've given it away to my daughter, but she hardly ever plays. In addition to the Donner, I also have a low G solid mahogany VTAB tenor that didn't cost a lot of money. For travelling or cold and hot temps I have an Enya Nova Pro tenor with the electronics (my only uke with a pickup). And I have two Kmise instruments, my DGBE baritone and my guitalele. So, my ukes don't need to be expensive to have fun. I don't feel they hold me back.

Thank you, Izzy! Thanks for the wonderful reminder :)

Wow, sounds like an amazing uke! What kind of tonewood is yours made of?

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort in your quiet mornings, sleepy cat, beautiful uke and your loved ones. 🤍

I used to dread waking up early. Now, I too find serenity in the early mornings. Have a wonderful day, Izzy!

My Pono Master Series is a spruce top, rosewood back and sides tenor. I actually just posted a review of it if you're interested at all, but warning it's long XD Get a cup of coffee first.

And thank you so much for your kind words :)

Baritones are awesome... not exactly a ukulele but wonderful in their own way! 🤖

When tuning I say: Drugs Get Boring Eventually
Well, I look forward then! Thank you for the tip!

Hello and welcome to Ukulele Underground! For reasons I won't go into here, Mondays are really my Sunday but what better way than to chill and have a strum! My first 'proper' uke was a Snail tenor ukulele and, to be honest, if I could have just one, it would be that, but I also love my Magic Fluke Firefly banjo ukulele and Kala 8-string baritone. It sounds like you already have Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome!
Thank you so much @ukukeguy! Well, then I hope your Mondays stays as special as our Sundays. I never had a Snail before, may consider in the future. Oops, seems like you're right with the UAS! 🤭

Welcome to UU, Freya Vie!
Only 1 uke, mmmm. I'm happy I don't need to limit myself to just one. (If I didn't have the option of having more, maybe I'd go for my bari, which I can capo if I want GCEA tuning.)

However, I still love my first uke, a cheap Donner DUT-3. Theoretically, I've given it away to my daughter, but she hardly ever plays. In addition to the Donner, I also have a low G solid mahogany VTAB tenor that didn't cost a lot of money. For travelling or cold and hot temps I have an Enya Nova Pro tenor with the electronics (my only uke with a pickup). And I have two Kmise instruments, my DGBE baritone and my guitalele. So, my ukes don't need to be expensive to have fun. I don't feel they hold me back.
Thank you so much Ms. Bean! You have a handful of wonderful ukes. I can imagine the joy you have, playing each and every one of it! I purchased a Kmise too but unfortunately, I may have gotten a copy instead. :( Well, have a good day today!

My Pono Master Series is a spruce top, rosewood back and sides tenor. I actually just posted a review of it if you're interested at all, but warning it's long XD Get a cup of coffee first.

And thank you so much for your kind words :)
Ooh, I love the combination of woods. I was in that thread! I briefly watched the 2 videos, they sound amazing! I'd only be able to read the review back at home (and I'll make sure I get a cuppa) :LOL: I was searching for an affordable cedar top/rosewood back & sides. But may settle for the Ohana CK-50ME instead. We'll see how it goes!

Welcome Freya Vie!
Thank you so much, Steve!

Well, I look forward then! Thank you for the tip!

Thank you so much @ukukeguy! Well, then I hope your Mondays stays as special as our Sundays. I never had a Snail before, may consider in the future. Oops, seems like you're right with the UAS! 🤭

Thank you so much Ms. Bean! You have a handful of wonderful ukes. I can imagine the joy you have, playing each and every one of it! I purchased a Kmise too but unfortunately, I may have gotten a copy instead. :( Well, have a good day today!

Ooh, I love the combination of woods. I was in that thread! I briefly watched the 2 videos, they sound amazing! I'd only be able to read the review back at home (and I'll make sure I get a cuppa) :LOL: I was searching for an affordable cedar top/rosewood back & sides. But may settle for the Ohana CK-50ME instead. We'll see how it goes!

Thank you so much, Steve!

Shouldn't that be eighth graders'?

Signed, A. Pedant. 😁

Top Bottom