on the tenor Magic Fluke and fingerpicking

ppalma00

Reaction score
Hi friends,
I have an Anuenue AMM3 with low G and happy with it. But I have a Firefly and a Flea from Magic Fluke and wondering to get a tenor Fluke or not to complete the set. I have read some users arguing that the tenor Fluke is not good for fingerpicking (while fantastic for strumming).

What do you think? Thinking of selling the Anuenue to get a Koa solid tenor Fluke.

thanks for the advice.

I can offer no advice about the AnueNue. But ... The Magic Fluke Koas are amazing!

even for fingerpicking I suppose...with warm sound...? thanks again
I rarely fingerpick, so beware. Strings do make a difference. Nyltechs are the stock strings. YMMV, but I prefer them on the Firefly to the Flea or Fluke. My soprano koa Fluke has Magic Tin Man fluorocarbons and it’s almost too bright. Considering a switch to pure nylons. I have AG x AQ nylons on my Fluke (hoop pine) concert and they’re wonderful.

I only have two tenors...
A Magic Fluke Koa Fluke, and an AMM3.
They are horses of completely different colors.

With the quicker response and never ending sustain of the Fluke, they are great for finger picking melodies where you really want to bend the notes without losing sustain. For soloing I would go with the Fluke. Sometimes it reminds me of the sound of an electric guitar or something entirely different, like a reed instrument or something - perhaps the airyness of the plastic body.

The AMM, with its warmth and depth the goes beyond its size and almost compares to a classical guitar, it is really nice for arpeggios and that kind of finger picking. I have switched the strings from fluorocarbon to Aquilas for a more mellow sound, where on most ukes I have gone the other way.

Dont sell before you buy, if you regret it is better to sell the one you like the least AFTER trying.

I only have two tenors...
A Magic Fluke Koa Fluke, and an AMM3.
They are horses of completely different colors.

With the quicker response and never ending sustain of the Fluke, they are great for finger picking melodies where you really want to bend the notes without losing sustain. For soloing I would go with the Fluke. Sometimes it reminds me of the sound of an electric guitar or something entirely different, like a reed instrument or something - perhaps the airyness of the plastic body.

The AMM, with its warmth and depth the goes beyond its size and almost compares to a classical guitar, it is really nice for arpeggios and that kind of finger picking. I have switched the strings from fluorocarbon to Aquilas for a more mellow sound, where on most ukes I have gone the other way.

Dont sell before you buy, if you regret it is better to sell the one you like the least AFTER trying.
Fantastic answer! thanks.
Do you have low G with the Fluke?

Fantastic answer! thanks.
Do you have low G with the Fluke?
I have low G on both.

Can post links to some SOTU challenge videos I recorded with each, if it can be a reference?
It will be after my 11 month old is asleep.

I have low G on both.

Can post links to some SOTU challenge videos I recorded with each, if it can be a reference?
It will be after my 11 month old is asleep.
Yes please!
Also please tell me the strings you have for the Fluke….🤗

have read some users arguing that the tenor Fluke is not good for fingerpicking (while fantastic for strumming).

Seriously? I would say it's just the opposite! The Fluke I have responds poorly to my strumming, which is loud and aggressive. It comes out all mushy and over-driven to my ears. Ok when strummed gently, but... I don't!

Picking it sounds great, probably because the intonation is so good, and maybe something about that zero fret.

I'm selling mine (cheap) if you want to try a used one... DM me if interested... The tuners are driving me crazy...IMG_0876.JPG

Seriously? I would say it's just the opposite! The Fluke I have responds poorly to my strumming, which is loud and aggressive. It comes out all mushy and over-driven to my ears. Ok when strummed gently, but... I don't!

Picking it sounds great, probably because the intonation is so good, and maybe something about that zero fret.

I'm selling mine (cheap) if you want to try a used one... DM me if interested... The tuners are driving me crazy...View attachment 165643
Thanks. looking for wooden fretboard….

Reactions: EDW
I have no experience with Fluke tenors but have owned a Flea soprano and a Fluke concert. Not crazy about the Ovation vibe, but the tone, volume, intonation and playability were unbeatable at the very modest price. I liked the clubby necks, too. I doubt there's a better instrument at the price than any of the Magic Fluke family. I agree with bbkobabe, though. The cheapo stock Grover tuners were an annoyance on the instruments I owned; if I'd kept them I would definitely have made an upgrade.

All the time I had low G on it, is has been Worth Browns LG, with the un-wound low G from that set.

And here a lot of videos :LOL:

Fingerstyle intro: Autumn leaves:

Fingerstyle intro: Birds and Ships:

I use it to solo in this one:

I use it for the riff here:

There is an overdub with strumming and chunking.

I have no experience with Fluke tenors but have owned a Flea soprano and a Fluke concert. Not crazy about the Ovation vibe, but the tone, volume, intonation and playability were unbeatable at the very modest price. I liked the clubby necks, too. I doubt there's a better instrument at the price than any of the Magic Fluke family. I agree with bbkobabe, though. The cheapo stock Grover tuners were an annoyance on the instruments I owned; if I'd kept them I would definitely have made an upgrade.
Yep, I upgraded mine to better-quality Grover frictions. I didn’t feel confident moving to Pegheds and the upgrades were about $25 a set at the time.

Hi friends,
I have an Anuenue AMM3 with low G and happy with it. But I have a Firefly and a Flea from Magic Fluke and wondering to get a tenor Fluke or not to complete the set. I have read some users arguing that the tenor Fluke is not good for fingerpicking (while fantastic for strumming).

What do you think? Thinking of selling the Anuenue to get a Koa solid tenor Fluke.

thanks for the advice.
I did this video in 2012, for season 46. I was still a relative newbie. A little fingerpicking, a little strumming.

To me, both are just fine.

The Fluke Tenor has Aquila strings. I don't know what the top is made of - guessing generic laminate. Walnut fretboard, peghed Tuners.

All the time I had low G on it, is has been Worth Browns LG, with the un-wound low G from that set.

And here a lot of videos :LOL:

Fingerstyle intro: Autumn leaves:

Fingerstyle intro: Birds and Ships:

I use it to solo in this one:

I use it for the riff here:

There is an overdub with strumming and chunking.

This is amazing. Thanks a lot!! I like the Fluke sound a lot and I think it will fit much better my way of playing than the AMM3. thanks again!

What is your way of playing? Admittedly I love my AMM3 but I think @UkingViking who has both gave the best advice if you can afford it

Especially as beginners I think it's hard to judge what the instrument is strong at. I've seen enough videos of spectrum of pop to classical fingerpicked songs/melodies on the AMM3 by even some of the best players that I am confident that it's a professional level instrument capable of basically antyhing

What is your way of playing? Admittedly I love my AMM3 but I think @UkingViking who has both gave the best advice if you can afford it

Especially as beginners I think it's hard to judge what the instrument is strong at. I've seen enough videos of spectrum of pop to classical fingerpicked songs/melodies on the AMM3 by even some of the best players that I am confident that it's a professional level instrument capable of basically antyhing
Thanks for your comment. I agree with you. AMM3 is really an amazing uke and versatile for almost everything. However, I think I will prefer a more punchy sound and Koa Fluke seems to be perfect for it.

I have the Magic Flea and the Firefly (banjolele) and they are really fantastic. I love them.

Top Bottom