Off-Beat Christmas Movie Ya Gotta Watch

My favorite Christmas movie is “Mixed Nuts” with Steve Martin and the priceless Madeline Kahn, among many others. Lots of embryo celebs who were unknowns at the time, like Adam Sandler, Gary Shandling, and Jon Stewart. Hilarious. Directed by Nora Ephron.

Hard to believe it was made almost 30 years ago.

I've recently watched Family for Christmas. Not bad one. I was simply browsing my TV channels and came across with this movie here. One-time movie but ok for Christmas mood. It seems to me the time of holidays is supposed to watch all Christmas movies. So I also rewatched some of my favorites, like Home Alone, Bridget Jones' Diary, The Grinch, etc.

Last edited:
One of the last movies in which the late, great Robin Williams appeared was “Merry Friggin’ Christmas”. It’s somewhat of a ripoff of Christmas Vacation but Williams steals the show as a loud-mouthed, middle-aged, alcoholic grandpa. Very different role for Candace Bergen as the long-suffering, enabler grandma.

My all time favorite was “It Happened On 5th Avenue”. Same moral as “A Wonderful Life” with a similar cast of memorable characters including a very youthful Alan Hale, Jr who much later played Skipper on Gilligan’s Island.

My favourite Christmas movie to watch with kids: The Muppet Christmas Carol. It's one of the better Muppet outings. 'Nuff said.

My favourite Christmas movie not to watch with the kids is Bad Santa. It has absolutely no business being as funny as it is.

I first saw Bad Santa in the theater for a work event. This was probably a bad idea, but we got away with it. Our team was supposed to go to Matrix 3, but when we got to the theater somebody didn't want to see that and asked if he could see Bad Santa instead. The rest of the team followed him. HR would not have approved. I have absolutely no regrets, other than that I rented Matrix 2 to watch it the night before, and I'll never get those two hours of my life back.

Both are rated (to borrow Wiggy's term) WA

I wanted to see Violent Night this year, but it's not WA (even though she has a crush on David Harbour) and with a local Covid surge we're skipping the theaters for a bit. With luck it'll be on one of my streaming services next year.

For listening rather than watching:
I can listen to Neil all day long. Unfortunately, I don't think there's video of this. If you know of one, please let me know!

Love, Actually
Caution: British humor :)

Four Christmases
Definitely American.

Neither is a "family" movie but both are rated WA. "Wifey Approved."
Liked Love Actually. I love British humor.
I think this Christmas I watched one of the Dolly Christmas movies and Pretty Woman. Pretty Woman is just sappy and makes me smile.

Top Bottom