New Uke Day (NUD) NUD Koaloha Opio tenor KTO-10

scrambled_eggs

eggcited for uke
UU VIP
Reaction score
Recently I was lucky enough to get my hands on a used Koaloha Opio KTO-10, sold by our own @ZJS on facebook uke market. Excellent transaction, quick shipping and uke in excellent condition. I recommend you all check out his other sales here on the forum.

Anyway, even since I first even heard a Koaloha online I thought "Wow, those sound unique and full!" I've always wanted to get my hands on one, but have never even had a chance to play one, even when I visited Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. While a new uke is not in my budget right now, I was able to sell off my Bonanza Homestead Baritone which essentially resulted in a trade for me. While the Opio is Koaloha branded, we know it is actually made in Thailand in the same workshop that makes Rebel ukes and they have representation here on the forum.

In fact, I've always really enjoyed the relationship Koaloha has with Opio as their "lil bro" and I really wanted an Opio specifically for a few reasons.
  • It's been called by more than a few one of the best ukes under $1k you can get
  • It's a way to get that KoAloha sound and quality a bit more affordably
  • It's a sample of Rebel's craftsmanship and quality in case I am interested in a Rebel in the future
  • I love that Rebel is a small independent workshop and active here on the forum! @just yo
Well, I can say I am not disappointed.

PROS:
  • Remarkably easy to play and well set up right from the factory. Impeccable fit and finish. It just asks to be held and played. Comfortable thin feeling neck
  • Responsive, loud, and full sounding. Very mid-y
  • I love the very smooth branded tuners. I've never really cared about tuners one way or another before, but these are really smooth!
  • BEAUTIFUL instrument with some flaming throughout the whole body acacia and the neck and faceplate as well.
  • I actually really love the finished and stained bridge, very pretty
  • It FEELS good. Both the neck feel, the fingerboard, and the feedback you get as a player. You get a tone of feedback from the back of the instrument, the neck, pretty much everywhere. There is, specifically, a ton of TACTILE feedback
  • Pretty lightly built, a bit heavier in the headstock. Some consider this a positive aspect
  • This uke is kind of good at everything, all techniques and sounds, etc.
  • I love the fingerboard. Did I say that twice? I also love the bound fret ends and how much room you have so you don't slip off on a stretch.
  • Excellent intonation. Nice and clear up and down the neck

CONS:
  • With the back being involved in the sound a lot, it is better to probably play it with the back not touching your body, which isn't super comfortable. It can be played either way though
  • Probably the least player sound feedback of all my ukes. The shape of the projected sound is very much out the front and back and less so from the sides than other ukes. These would really benefit from a side soundport tbh, but not a dealbreaker at all since it's already a loud instrument.
  • Musubi soundhole? I'm sorry, am I crazy? That's onigiri shape, not musubi! Is Paul Okami on here, someone must ask him I need answers.

OPINIONS: I have played a few ukes in the < $1000 range in person, and this one is really excellent and tremendous value. Of course Rebel also falls into this range for some instruments, and as it's from the same shop probably gives the Opio a run for it's money as well. This instrument definitely convinced me to looking into getting a Rebel into my mix of instruments in the near future. I also love how passionate and excited they seem at Rebel, experimenting with things just for the love of it. Both of these companies just seem really passionate and sincere in their work, and it shows. This uke has now become my regular player for the time being!

Images attached. Sound sample as well. Not the greatest performance as I've only played this one a handful of times.

EDIT: Forgot to include the above short showing off the gloss and flaming on the body of the standard KTO.

Below info taken from The Ukulele Site

Materials
Acacia body
Semi-gloss finish
15 Frets to Body 20 Frets Overall
Mango fretmarkers
Mahogany Fingerboard and Bridge
Mahogany neck
Black deluxe KoAloha geared tuners

Measurements: Tenor
Total Scale Length: 17.25”/43.82cm
Body Length: 11.75”/29.85cm
Overall length: 26.75”/67.95cm
Nut Width: 1.5”/38.15mm
Saddle Width: 2.75”/69.75mm
Lower Bout Width: 8”/20.32cm
Upper Bout Width: 5.75”/14.61cm
Lower Bout Depth: 2.34”/5.94cm
Upper Bout Depth: 2.34”/5.94cm

String Spacing
At Nut: G to C = 9.92mm G to A = 28mm
At 12th fret: G to C = 12.3mm G to A = 33.75m
At Saddle: G to C = 13.82mm G to A = 42mm

Attachments

• tigi.jpg
    tigi.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 48
  • u9.jpg
    u9.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 40
  • u8.jpg
    u8.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 33
  • u7.jpg
    u7.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 32
  • u6.jpg
    u6.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
  • u5.jpg
    u5.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 39
  • u4.jpg
    u4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 39
  • u3.jpg
    u3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 40
  • u2.jpg
    u2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 45
  • u1.jpg
    u1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
From a website:

"Apparently in the Kanto (Eastern Japan) area they are called o-musubi and in the Kansai (Western Japan) area they are called o-nigiri. In Hawaii, we call them musubi. When the immigrants came to Hawaii during the Sugar Cane era, a majority of them were from Hiroshima (my great-grandma included), this area calls them o-musubi, so it is thought that for this reason, the people in Hawaii call them musubi. Since this is the name I'm used to, I'm going to use the word musubi throughout the rest of this post."

Glad you found the "KoAloha" sound. And rice balls with nori and other good stuff is great no matter what you call them.

From a website:

"Apparently in the Kanto (Eastern Japan) area they are called o-musubi and in the Kansai (Western Japan) area they are called o-nigiri. In Hawaii, we call them musubi. When the immigrants came to Hawaii during the Sugar Cane era, a majority of them were from Hiroshima (my great-grandma included), this area calls them o-musubi, so it is thought that for this reason, the people in Hawaii call them musubi. Since this is the name I'm used to, I'm going to use the word musubi throughout the rest of this post."

Glad you found the "KoAloha" sound. And rice balls with nori and other good stuff is great no matter what you call them.
Thanks for the history lesson, very interesting! I couldn't find anything about it and I just thought I was crazy!

That was a wonderful nigiri and musubi explainer! I’ve always wondered that myself.

My peoples are from the Nagoya area, and I always heard o-nigiri growing up, and only heard the term "musubi" when referring to rectangular spam musubi.

Also, congrats on your new opio!

I have two cats, and one of them, as soon as I open a guitar case (acoustic) and start playing, he runs out of the room! Haha and their hearing is much better than ours.
Oh no? Is this why you are weeping ;( I can't really remember how they were around the instrument at first, but I did try to play very softly especially if they were on my lap or something. I legitimately feel like this has improved my playing skill as one of the struggles of being a beginner is choking the neck of the instrument to death when you are playing. Playing more gently, quietly, and delicately naturally resulted in a softer/lighter grip on the instrument, and I think a finer touch.

So yes everyone, get a cat it will improve your ukulele skill, it's just plain logic.

EDIT: This is what happens as soon as I open a uke case.

tigi2.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pics!! Almost makes me want to buy it back 😄 very happy it’s found such a great home!!! ✌🏽

Oh no? Is this why you are weeping ;( I can't really remember how they were around the instrument at first, but I did try to play very softly especially if they were on my lap or something. I legitimately feel like this has improved my playing skill as one of the struggles of being a beginner is choking the neck of the instrument to death when you are playing. Playing more gently, quietly, and delicately naturally resulted in a softer/lighter grip on the instrument, and I think a finer touch.

So yes everyone, get a cat it will improve your ukulele skill, it's just plain logic.

EDIT: This is what happens as soon as I open a uke case.

View attachment 156174

One of my cats does the same thing, will settle down in any open guitar case and if the case is closed, he sits on top, because in his world, he owns the case, I just borrow it.

El Gato on guitar case.jpg

This not the one who runs out of the room when I pick a guitar up. weeping ukulele is a nod to Sir George, a huge uke fan and wrote While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Recently I was lucky enough to get my hands on a used Koaloha Opio KTO-10, sold by our own @ZJS on facebook uke market. Excellent transaction, quick shipping and uke in excellent condition. I recommend you all check out his other sales here on the forum.

Anyway, even since I first even heard a Koaloha online I thought "Wow, those sound unique and full!" I've always wanted to get my hands on one, but have never even had a chance to play one, even when I visited Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. While a new uke is not in my budget right now, I was able to sell off my Bonanza Homestead Baritone which essentially resulted in a trade for me. While the Opio is Koaloha branded, we know it is actually made in Thailand in the same workshop that makes Rebel ukes and they have representation here on the forum.

In fact, I've always really enjoyed the relationship Koaloha has with Opio as their "lil bro" and I really wanted an Opio specifically for a few reasons.
  • It's been called by more than a few the best uke under $1k you can get
  • It's a way to get that Koaloha sound and quality a bit more affordably
  • It's a sample of Rebel's craftsmanship and quality in case I am interested in a Rebel in the future
  • I love that Rebel is a small indepedent workshop and active here on the forum! @just yo
Well, I can say I am not disappointed.

PROS:
  • Remarkably easy to play and well set up right from the factory. Impeccable fit and finish. It just asks to be held and played. Comfortable thin feeling neck for fast action.
  • Responsive, loud, and full sounding. Very mid-y
  • I love the very smooth branded tuners. I've never really cared about tuners one way or another before, but these are really smooth!
  • BEAUTIFUL instrument with some flaming throughout the whole body acacia and the neck and faceplate as well.
  • I actually really love the finished and stained bridge, very pretty
  • It FEELS good. Both the neck feel, the fingerboard, and the feedback you get as a player. You get a tone of feedback from the back of the instrument, the neck, pretty much everywhere. There is, specifically, a ton of TACTILE feedback
  • Pretty lightly built, a bit heavier in the headstock. Some consider this a positive aspect https://www.youtube.com/live/aPb19WlMZvE?feature=share&t=1135
  • This uke is kind of good at everything, all techniques and sounds, etc.
  • I love the fingerboard. Did I say that twice? I also love the bound fret ends and how much room you have so you don't slip off on a stretch.
  • Perfect intonation. Many of my ukes including the Kala Elite and Martin has intonation that is a bit off as you get high up the neck.
CONS:
  • With the back being involved in the sound a lot, it is better to probably play it with the back not touching your body, which isn't super comfortable. It can be played either way though
  • Probably the least player sound feedback of all my ukes. The shape of the projected sound is very much out the front and back and less so from the sides than other ukes. These would really benefit from a side soundport tbh, but not a dealbreaker at all since it's already a loud instrument.
  • Musubi soundhole? I'm sorry, am I crazy? That's onigiri shape, not musubi! Is Paul Okami on here, someone must ask him I need answers.

OPINIONS: I have played quite a good number of ukes in the < $1000 range in person! I have yet to try any Flight instruments or Millar, but among all the others I think this might be the best under $1k uke you can get. Of course Rebel also falls into this range for some instruments, and as it's from the same shop probably gives the Opio a run for it's money as well. This instrument definitely convinced me to looking into getting a Rebel into my mix of instruments in the near future. I also love how passionate and excited they seem at Rebel, experimenting with things just for the love of it. Both of these companies just seem really passionate and sincere in their work, and it shows. This uke has now become my regular player, beating out a custom Ono and Kala Elite as the quick grabber. These are a great value for money imo.

Images attached. Sound sample as well. Not the greatest performance as I've only played this one a handful of times.

EDIT: Forgot to include the above short showing off the gloss and flaming on the body of the standard KTO.

Materials
Acacia body
Semi-gloss finish
15 Frets to Body 20 Frets Overall
Mango fretmarkers
Mahogany Fingerboard and Bridge
Mahogany neck
Black deluxe KoAloha geared tuners
Premium flourocarbon Koaloha Strings
KoAloha gig bag
Measurements: Tenor
Total Scale Length: 17.25”/43.82cm
Body Length: 11.75”/29.85cm
Overall length: 26.75”/67.95cm
Nut Width: 1.5”/38.15mm
Saddle Width: 2.75”/69.75mm
Lower Bout Width: 8”/20.32cm
Upper Bout Width: 5.75”/14.61cm
Lower Bout Depth: 2.34”/5.94cm
Upper Bout Depth: 2.34”/5.94cm

String Spacing
At Nut: G to C = 9.92mm G to A = 28mm
At 12th fret: G to C = 12.3mm G to A = 33.75m
At Saddle: G to C = 13.82mm G to A = 42mm

If you read Japanese just do a search for おむすびとおにぎりの違い and the results will confirm that there is no definable difference between the two. :) https://halmek.co.jp/qa/1375

Top Bottom