New Uke Day (NUD) NUD: Barron River soprano

rainbow21

UU VIP
Reaction score
I have had my BR soprano for a few months now, ordering it after receiving and loving my concert last year (and waiting a half year). I was seeking a soprano that would be used for chord melody more than strum and sing (where many other sopranos excel at). So tone, intonation, and sustain were important.

I requested the “best sounding” wood combination and left many of the build choices to Allen. While not a priority, the looks are great! Some of the build:

Soundboard: Huon Pine
Body: Australian Blackwood
Neck: Sapele
Fret board and bridge: Indian Ebony
String through bridge and no side sound port are usual for this size. I added Gotoh Planetary tuners as an upgrade.

BRsop1.jpg

BRsop2.jpg

Impressions:
It is definitely a sibling to the concert. It has a similar sound profile with the sustain and tones. It was what I was seeking and is different from all the other sopranos I have had that I did not like for chord melody, maybe because of the short sound decay. Craftsmanship/looks are tremendous. He makes great looking and great sounding ukuleles.

The build is what I was looking for. I also discovered that the concert scale is where I do best. The soprano spacing does get tougher higher on the fret board. I tried some chord sequences (strum and sing patterns) and it does not project as well as my Mya Moe and UkeSA sopranos, which is not a surprise. One other note of interest is that it is joined at the 14th fret while my concert is joined at the 12th fret.

Both my BR ukuleles:
BRs sop con.jpg

I do not need a Huon Pine uke. I don't NEED a Huon Pine uke. I don't need a Huon Pine uke.......

They’re both stunning, David. Congratulations!

Though I haven’t yet received my BR concert (any day now!), when I look back on the 8 months since I commissioned it, I’m so grateful for all of Allen’s brilliant suggestions and advice. He’s always right!

I have had my BR soprano for a few months now, ordering it after receiving and loving my concert last year (and waiting a half year). I was seeking a soprano that would be used for chord melody more than strum and sing (where many other sopranos excel at). So tone, intonation, and sustain were important.

I requested the “best sounding” wood combination and left many of the build choices to Allen. While not a priority, the looks are great! Some of the build:

Soundboard: Huon Pine
Body: Australian Blackwood
Neck: Sapele
Fret board and bridge: Indian Ebony
String through bridge and no side sound port are usual for this size. I added Gotoh Planetary tuners as an upgrade.

View attachment 149274

View attachment 149275

Impressions:
It is definitely a sibling to the concert. It has a similar sound profile with the sustain and tones. It was what I was seeking and is different from all the other sopranos I have had that I did not like for chord melody, maybe because of the short sound decay. Craftsmanship/looks are tremendous. He makes great looking and great sounding ukuleles.

The build is what I was looking for. I also discovered that the concert scale is where I do best. The soprano spacing does get tougher higher on the fret board. I tried some chord sequences (strum and sing patterns) and it does not project as well as my Mya Moe and UkeSA sopranos, which is not a surprise. One other note of interest is that it is joined at the 14th fret while my concert is joined at the 12th fret.

Both my BR ukuleles:
View attachment 149276
Yep, that's it! gorg, simply gorg.

I looked up photos of sopranos on his website and most had fourteen frets to the body. But there were a few photos of joins at the 12th fret.
@rainbow21: Does he normally have 14 frets to the body on a soprano or is that in response to your spefic tone and sustain requests?

Absolutely stunning! Such simple and elegant design, as is typical of Allen’s instruments. Congratulations!

Or be patient in other ways (reading above note about the lack of love of the soprano scale. ;)😜
I had exactly the same thought when I read that 🤣🤣😉 (although as usual I’m on the wrong continent!)

Beautiful! Interesting that it has a slightly larger scale at 14" than the traditional Martin 13 5/8" soprano scale. Another one for your list @TBB !

Just to clarify any questions about scale length and design.

The body shape is a direct scale down version of a guitar I designed about 17 years ago. I worked out the largest body I could use to fit into a standard hard shell case for each of the size instruments in the ukulele family. Then marrying up the standard scale length to that body. Just turned out that it was a 12 fret to body for all but the soprano.

Soprano's are 13.75" scale length and are joined at the 14th so that the bridge ends up in the sweet spot (middle) of the lower bout.

Concerts are 15" scale and joined at the 12th so the bridge is also in the middle of the lower bout.

I do build long neck Concerts with a 16" scale length that joins at the 14th fret for those that want a bit more access to the upper frets.

Tenors are 17" scale length but also build long neck versions for the 14 fret option.

Baritones are anywhere from 19" - 21.5" depending on clients needs as far as alternate tunings, string choice etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very beautiful, and I like the position markers and sound hole rosette!

Top Bottom