New Uke Opening Up

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I have an Ohana TK75CG maple/spruce combo that I have had a quite sometime. Have not played at all for quite sometime. I kind of stopped playing like maybe a few weeks after I got it for some unknown reason. Anyway, I starting back and was wondering if ukes open up, as they say, like other stringed instruments? also, is the change usually very noticeable ? Thanks

I think cheaper ukuleles that are made from thicker woods are less likely (or take much longer) to "open up".

The idea behind torreified wood supports the idea that the wood does change as it ages.
"As tonewood ages over multiple decades, its cellular structure goes through changes that make the guitar much more resonant, responsive, and alive."

I do think that my ukuleles have "opened up" over time. But, then again, maybe it's string changes, learning to get the most out of the ukulele, and other factors that make the difference. Whatever the reason, the ones that have been keepers have seemed to have gotten better over time. Whether that's true or not, it seems to at least mean that I'm enjoying them even more, and that's a good thing. :)

Brings up the conversation about finishes on wood instruments and whether they inhibit sound or not.

Wood acclimates and the build reaches stress equilibrium. Strings will sometimes take months to settle and stabilize. Add temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure to the mix. Sensory and mental perceptions at any moment in time.

Satin only for me.

Chuck Moore and John Kinnard mention that the ukuleles they build will open up. I trust their building skills and understanding of what transpires with the ukuleles they build. I venture a guess that some open enough to be noticed and others not.

A few months ago i played a Cocobolo tenor from the personal collection of a shop owner in the area, made by "Cocobolo Ukuleles" (out of Nicaragua). It blew me away: the tone, projections, and volume were wonderful and i could feel the instrument vibrate in my core. A few weeks later i randomly found the website of the company and discovered they were selling off some unclaimed builds (there's a lottery to see who gets first dibs on the new builds but the winners of these never stepped up to pay, they currently have some too if you click on the link above). I pulled the trigger and picked up a 5 string tenor at a discounted price and in less than a week it showed up on my front door. My first encounter was initially disappointment, it didn't have the same characteristics of the store owners, but i persisted and kept playing on it, strumming and picking super fast and heavy, a few days later i could literally feel and hear it open up. I went back to the shop where i heard the first one and was able to play it again and now think mine sounds even better. So yes, it totally does matter, especially new instruments or ones that haven't been played in a long time. I'll add i've had similar experiences with other "solid" wood instruments (at least solid tops) doing the same thing, mainly upright basses.

I'm going to add another interesting twist, here's a device you can get to help your ukuleles open up. In theory it's a lazy approach but seems plausible to get it to open up when you're at work or don't have time or patience. I haven't used one myself but it's an interesting approach.

Ukulele ToneRite

I've also heard of luthiers playing the sounds and frequencies of a specific instruments into the sound holes of a new instruments using a stereo to help open it up. By having the frequency of the instrument played into it's chamber it can mimic being "played in" for hours.

I've also heard of luthiers playing the sounds and frequencies of a specific instruments into the sound holes of a new instruments using a stereo to help open it up. By having the frequency of the instrument played into it's chamber it can mimic being "played in" for hours.
There was a luthier, I can't remember who he was or what he called the machine, but he built a contraption that he would put his newly built ukes into and it would strum on the strings one million times. He did this for all of the ukes he built. There was a video about it on YouTube that I've tried searching for again to no avail.

I’m not sure if any of my ukes have opened up, or if they sound better as I get used to playing them. I had a Pono AT that never got past the tight and dull sounding phase no matter what I tried. Sold it after a year and a half.

Over the years, I've tried to be patient with various muted, or tight sounding instruments, hoping the sound would improve with time and lots of playing, but I haven't experienced the phenomenon yet. I found that the only thing "opening up" was my wallet...far too frequently.

For fun, let's consider ukuleles are still fairly new instruments, who would you consider to be the current and potentially future Stradivari of the ukulele world?

As to the replies above on opening up good points are made about the quality of the build as well as materials, which I probably didn't assert fully enough in my first reply but those are absolutely essential. There does seem to be a Darwinian survival factor of better crafted instruments present today, considering only a relative handful of the multitudes of stringed wooden instruments made over the past few centuries still exist. If those instruments weren't living up to their full potential at the time they were built, or even after a century, then what made them survive till today, aside from historic preservation? Something about their sound made them "survivors". Probably the most valuable things we've gleaned from these example, already mentioned, are being utilized in newer less expensive orchestral instruments made in China. The makers use better tone woods and are copying the build and design of those "survivors". Also worth mentioning are varnishing materials and methods (but that can fall into anecdotes too).

Anyway, this is a long contemplation I've edited and shortened a few times, but let's just say enjoy your ukulele and chances are it'll sound better the more you play it, especially after you purchase it new. Hand it down in your will and hope someone in a future generation will continue playing it as it moves towards it's peak timbre.

I bought my cedar top Kala baritone ukulele because it sounded great. Played it at two hour sessions three or four times weekly. The sound got sweeter (rounder) and louder starting after eight months and plateaued approx two years later.

My grand concert guitar with red spruce top did the same.

The tenor ukulele with bamboo top has not changed in two years.

I haven’t bought instruments with hardwood (mahogany, mango etc) tops because they sound quieter than equivalent size softwood (spruce, cedar). Dunno how much they improve with age and play.

My carbon fibre tops haven’t changed at all.

Cheers

I bought my cedar top Kala baritone ukulele because it sounded great. Played it at two hour sessions three or four times weekly. The sound got sweeter (rounder) and louder starting after eight months and plateaued approx two years later.

My grand concert guitar with red spruce top did the same.

The tenor ukulele with bamboo top has not changed in two years.

I haven’t bought instruments with hardwood (mahogany, mango etc) tops because they sound quieter than equivalent size softwood (spruce, cedar). Dunno how much they improve with age and play.

My carbon fibre tops haven’t changed at all.

Cheers
"My carbon fibre tops haven’t changed at all"...:giggle:❤️

I tried to get mine to open up (see avatar) but it bit me. So, I cut a hole in its side (sound port), which served a similar (not identical) purpose and took far less time. As someone correctly noted, I could have otherwise waited the rest of my life for this cheap veneer (plywood) uke to open up, without success.

Last edited:
There's some debate about this, but I do believe many ukes open up and sound better over time. I've even experienced this with ukes I don't play often. I have a pretty little Pono acacia soprano that I was kind of disappointed in, soundwise, when I first got it. It now sounds as sweet as it looks. I rarely play sopranos, but it has become a keeper.

Top Bottom