New jumbo body concert from CARAMELšŸ¤”

Based off these couple reviews, I bought one of each of the open sound hole models for student ukes. I'll let you all know how they compare when they arrive.
I just received mine! I got the acacia, while it says "solid", I'm not so sure it is. It's apparent the uke is inexpensively made; it's a bit quiet but intonation is amazing and the setup is great! I expected the usual mass market thick white uke strings but it came with a very playable set of strings (generic clears) that sound just fine and are easy on the fingers.

Gig bag is okay, comes with assorted items great for first time uke owners.

Has anyone researched hard cases for this body style? I imagine it won't fit inside a standard case.
I have the Anuenue hard case it fits in. Probably one of the only itā€™ll fit in with that lower bout dimensions. Maybe even the tweed cases from OAHU on TUS site. They recommend those for the Anuenue AMM2 concert with similar dimensions.

I just received mine! I got the acacia, while it says "solid", I'm not so sure it is. It's apparent the uke is inexpensively made; it's a bit quiet but intonation is amazing and the setup is great! I expected the usual mass market thick white uke strings but it came with a very playable set of strings (generic clears) that sound just fine and are easy on the fingers.

Gig bag is okay, comes with assorted items great for first time uke owners.
So I actually emailed caramel and they indeed told me they are not solid wood. Unfortunate.. but honestly not mad at it at all. Great uke for the price and what it offers. So idk if you saw my other comment, but Iā€™ve had 2 already (both acacia) and they both had different volumes and tone. Was very odd. A good string change makes a worlds difference as well. Really woke this thing up with some medium fremont black lines and low G

So I actually emailed caramel and they indeed told me they are not solid wood. Unfortunate.. but honestly not mad at it at all. Great uke for the price and what it offers. So idk if you saw my other comment, but Iā€™ve had 2 already (both acacia) and they both had different volumes and tone. Was very odd. A good string change makes a worlds difference as well. Really woke this thing up with some medium fremont black lines and low G
Thanks! The quietness doesn't bother me for an inexpensive uke. I was going to try baby bari strings but I don't want to modify the nut to fit wound strings until I've played it for a while. I'm enjoying it and thank you for bringing it to UU'rs attention!

Thanks! The quietness doesn't bother me for an inexpensive uke. I was going to try baby bari strings but I don't want to modify the nut to fit wound strings until I've played it for a while. I'm enjoying it and thank you for bringing it to UU'rs attention!
Thatā€™s what we here for man! Gotta keep each other in the loop.

One love, all aloha!

Last edited:
looks like you can get the concert ukulele alone without all the ā€˜extrasā€™ for $50!

IMG_7359.png

Last edited:
It's a different model but looks to be a pretty good deal! That one looks to have a more traditional shape with smaller bouts.

Is it just the acacia uke thatā€™s a laminate or are they all laminates?

Interesting. Well I grabbed one of the ā€˜fishā€™ ones! (Ebony?) basically cause I wanted the fish!
(It doesnā€™t look like a fish to me)
Weā€™ll see what itā€™s like!
IMG_7360.jpeg

Got out my magnifying glass, and yes, it is laminate.
Soundwise: with the strings that came with it, all strings ring out on every fret, all the way up to the highest fret. No duds.
I do not find it muted or quiet. It has no "howl-ey" or resonant notes; an uncomplicated clear tone. That is good.
Put on an Aquila .028" low G: New Nylgut Silverwound 9U. (A D'Addario NYL028W would be its equal.)
It blends right in, almost like it was made for it ;).

Attachments

• CAG64 - at 5 o'clock.JPG
    CAG64 - at 5 o'clock.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 21
  • CAG64 - Edge.JPG
    CAG64 - Edge.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Being laminates are these kind of muted or quiet?
Definitely not a quiet ukulele. Not the loudest ukulele, but not quiet either. It has a great tone and volume. Louder than some solid wood instruments I have and have played before

Got out my magnifying glass, and yes, it is laminate.
Soundwise: with the strings that came with it, all strings ring out on every fret, all the way up to the highest fret. No duds.
I do not find it muted or quiet. It has no "howl-ey" or resonant notes; an uncomplicated clear tone. That is good.
Put on an Aquila .028" low G: New Nylgut Silverwound 9U. (A D'Addario NYL028W would be its equal.)
It blends right in, almost like it was made for it ;).
Aint it great!? I'm really enjoying playing this uke.

Top Bottom