New fiddle day

Nickie

Reaction score
Just bought this last evening, from a friend who I met here on UU. It's a student violin, came with this neat composite bow, real hair, a cool case, shoulder rest and even a cake of black resin. I can't play it yet, but i did learn to pluck a scale today. fiddleandbow.jpg

Hi Nickie, I too was tempted to take up the fiddle and still wouldn’t mind doin’ it, but I‘m too old to start yet another instrument. However, I thought then, I already know the fingering , so all I‘d have to do was learn the bowing part. I know there’s more to it than that of course, but that was my thinking. Anyway, I opted out.

I have enough to figger out as it is.

Last edited:
Great idea, Nickie! I wish you lots of fun.
I seem to remember that you already have experience with either violin or fiddle?

Hi Nickie, I too was tempted to take up the fiddle and still wouldn’t mind doin’ it, but I‘m too old to start yet another instrument. However, I thought then, I already know the fingering , so all I‘d have to do was learn the bowing part. I know there’s more to it than that of course, but that was my thinking. Anyway, I opted out.

I have enough to figger out as it is.
You're never too old to learn an instrument, as many of us here know. The fiddle isn't as hard as people think. It's kinda like the ukulele, the first few lessons are drop dead easy, but as we play more complicated things, then it does get more challenging.
However, you are being very astute to realize your musical plate is full. I have a friend who has bought multiple instruments that wound up being given away because she couldn't master them in one weekend. I have her bongo drums, and I will tell you I cannot play them yet!

Great idea, Nickie! I wish you lots of fun.
I seem to remember that you already have experience with either violin or fiddle?
Yes, I attempted to learn first in college (wasn't my idea) and again later in Nashville when a job took me nearby. I was never any good because I always practiced when I was stoned. Now I don't toke so much.....it harshes my vocal chords too much. Today, I finally learned the position of the third finger, and what notes they are. And my bowing wasn't as screechy today. And I tuned it without a tuner. Baby steps!
It's tempting to leave the ukulele in it's case, but my bandmates will kick my keester if I quit!
Especially now that I am playing with one of the best rhythm strummers in the county.

In about 1970, I bought a fiddle at an auction sale. It came with no case, bow or resin, but I took it home and started to learn with a flat pick. Since I already played mandolin, it seemed to come really easy and I told myself, "When I get enough cash to buy a bow, I'll be great!"
I did get a bow and resin and after a week or two, I realised that the bow hand is the hard part of learning (for me at least) and I gave up the fiddle.

A couple of decades later I got a much better fiddle and took some lessons from Sandy MacIntyre, a down east fiddle player and step dancer. I did play with a group of Sandy's students to close one of his concerts, but never got good enough to play solo. I only practised the fiddle when my wife was at work and the cats were both outside. I have neglected it for the last decade or so and have given up aspiring to be a fiddle player.
Good luck with your fiddle efforts Nickie. I hope they work out better than mine did.

I had my 1st "violin" lesson yesterday, by a real violinist. I did my level best to do exactly as he told/showed me. No bow squealing or squawking. He put me at ease, corrected and re-corrected my bow hold, explaining the purpose of each finger on the bow. We went over posture, and played only open strings. He gave me homework, of course, which I did poorly at today. He told me I am a "natural", and so did the person who sold it to me. LOL.
Both are excellent salesmen!
He examined my fiddle and told me there is nothing wrong with it, so I don't get to blame my poor playing on it. He did only a cursory glance at my bow. Went over care and maintenance of both. He also said I will be learning to read sheet music. ARGH!
He cautioned me against jumping ahead in the student book. (I didn't tell him I can play Twinkle Twinkle and Frere Jacques)

Good luck!! I know it’s challenging cuz my wife decided to take up the violin about 15 years ago. She had never played an instrument or read music prior to that & took lessons from violinists in the Honolulu Symphony. I tried messing around with it & always sounded horrible. 😝

In about 1970, I bought a fiddle at an auction sale. It came with no case, bow or resin, but I took it home and started to learn with a flat pick. Since I already played mandolin, it seemed to come really easy and I told myself, "When I get enough cash to buy a bow, I'll be great!"
I did get a bow and resin and after a week or two, I realised that the bow hand is the hard part of learning (for me at least) and I gave up the fiddle.

A couple of decades later I got a much better fiddle and took some lessons from Sandy MacIntyre, a down east fiddle player and step dancer. I did play with a group of Sandy's students to close one of his concerts, but never got good enough to play solo. I only practised the fiddle when my wife was at work and the cats were both outside. I have neglected it for the last decade or so and have given up aspiring to be a fiddle player.
Good luck with your fiddle efforts Nickie. I hope they work out better than mine did.
It always seemed odd (and still does) but the one and only situation in which our cat was ever consistently calm and attentive was while my son sawed his fiddle. Tigger despised both my banjo and my daughter’s sax, was ambivalent to my son’s Seagull guitar, but adored the sound of a fiddle.:)

Yes, of course it is. I just wondered if you knew where the notes were without frets.
I'm learning. The violin, tuned in fifths, makes much more sense to me than the fretted ukulele, tuned in fourths. I can pretty much tune my fiddle by ear, but not my ukulele. It's ALWAYS flat.
Saturday, we spent the day at a one day Bluegrass festival, where I met Becky Buller. She's the real deal, her playing is incredible. I bought her CD. She plays a sweet 200 year old German violin, with a custom made bow from England.

I got a fiddle when I was living in an apartment. It didn't take because I didn't want to piss off the neighbors with all the screech screech of a self-taught beginner. I wish I had that thing now. Was only a hundred bucks. It's sitting in a pile of instruments I left down in Florida.

Top Bottom