Movable chord shape Em

Haven't even see a 4432 Em. Usually just posted as 0432 which has a G note as well as the other. I can hear the difference but is there a reason why you'd choose it?
I play low G.
I have a couple of reasons. The 0432 only works for Em. If you move down to Eb or up to F, the open G string doesn't work. So I use the 4432 shape so that I can move it anywhere on the fretboard and get a minor chord. I also am desirous of building the muscle memory of one shape for all minor chords rooted on the C string. Often times I will play X432 and get a true triad without duplicated notes.

Last edited:
Yes. Thanks for the correction
I was thinking about a barred G though. It’s not really a movable F, at least to me, since the F doesn’t have the barre. In my head I’m thinking “G shape” as I move up the fretboard to A or B, etc.

I was thinking about a barred G though. It’s not really a movable F, at least to me, since the F doesn’t have the barre. In my head I’m thinking “G shape” as I move up the fretboard to A or B, etc.
The moveable chord shapes are named after their first position when barre is not used. So with F when you barre it in first fret it becomes F# and so forth.

I have a couple of reasons. The 0432 only works for Em. If you move down to Eb or up to F, the open G string doesn't work. So I use the 4432 shape so that I can move it anywhere on the fretboard and get a minor chord. I also am desirous of building the muscle memory of one shape for all minor chords rooted on the C string. Often times I will play X432 and get a true triad without duplicated notes.
Thanks for explaining. Makes sense.

Top Bottom