Movable chord shape Em

MentalAtom

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of learning movable chord shapes, and I can't figure out how to get my fingers to make this shape (attached), any tips?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909_103744_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909_103744_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 58
Wow, my brain hurts just thinking about those chords.

In the "Em" position
Whether you use a barre or 4 fingers is your choice.

Index: barre across 2
Middle: #2-3
Pinkie: #3-4
Ring: #4-4

Attachments

• gCEA -Em.JPG
    gCEA -Em.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Em - 4 finger.JPG
    Em - 4 finger.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
In the "Em" position
Whether you use a barre or 4 fingers is your choice.

Index: barre across 2
Middle: #2-3
Pinkie: #3-4
Ring: #4-4
Thanks for the photos! The second version without the barre is okay, with the barre my hands just don't want to cooperate right now 😅 I guess I just need more practice.

The barre is better as all the other movable chords use it so it works out better for switching quickly, so I "want" to do that one (if wanting to play barre chords is a thing 😜)

to simplify matters, I usually omit the redundant G string by choking it off with the edge of the finger that is fretting the C string. However when I do play all four strings, I play it with 3 fingers by fretting both the G and C strings with the ring finger

Thanks for the photos! The second version without the barre is okay, with the barre my hands just don't want to cooperate right now 😅 I guess I just need more practice.

The barre is better as all the other movable chords use it so it works out better for switching quickly, so I "want" to do that one (if wanting to play barre chords is a thing 😜)
I see no point in using a barre for this chord, but not a lot of the closed chords I play use a full barre with the index finger. I play the mi7 with the root on the first string with a full barre, but often use my ring finger. I have seen some folks who play the closed Ma chord with the root on the 1st and 4th string with a full barre, so they can get the seventh by taking off the finger on the 4th string. I just use a 2 string barre on the first two strings and get the seventh by dropping my pinky on the second string.
closed uke chords.jpg

I also don't play a barre for that shape. I use 4 fingers, they way most people do. Sometimes, I don't play the first or 4th string because they are duplicate notes. But the frets are too cramped to use a barre for me, except on the first few frets. So, I got into the habit of using all four fingers. On the guitar you have a lot more room, so I would play a barre for that shape.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll give it a go 😁 it definitely seems that not-barre is the easier way to go so I just need faster fingers to get there quickly if I want to use that shape

I love the movable Em. Start with the movable, barred, G and you are almost there. Once you have the G down, then add one more finger.
I sure hope you mean a moveable F on second fret bar. Moving a G shape already requires 4 fingers and I certainly don't have an extra.

I see no point in using a barre for this chord, but not a lot of the closed chords I play use a full barre with the index finger.
Curiously, not that I play this one often, but I find it easier to play using a barre even though it only needs to cover one string. I don't know if it's something about shape of fingers or just that it needs more practice... similarly, I can never get my fingers around the two string barre on a Bb so I just barre the whole thing.

I sure hope you mean a moveable F on second fret bar. Moving a G shape already requires 4 fingers and I certainly don't have an extra.
I do this one with a barre on the second fret, index on E string 3rd fret, ring on G string 4th fret. So it'd just need adding the little finger on the C string 4th fret...

It felt like it took me ages to work out how to barre, in particular what to do with my particular shape of finger (probably a different thing for everyone) but once I did, so many things became a lot easier. Like the movable G shape, for example! Although it still needs plenty of target practice for that shape to actually land on the right place on the fretboard.

Curiously, not that I play this one often, but I find it easier to play using a barre even though it only needs to cover one string. I don't know if it's something about shape of fingers or just that it needs more practice... similarly, I can never get my fingers around the two string barre on a Bb so I just barre the whole thing.
Strangely enough, guitar is my first instrument and I play a Bm with a barre X24432, but for the closed Em on the uke, I use no barre, just 4432.
I just tried it with the barre and it works just fine too. Thanks Edwin.

If to barre or only play one note is a matter of context of the chords before and after. If you have a barre before or after it makes sense to use the barred Dm shape. If it's not a barre then the straight Em may make more sense.

I suppose if you can't get your fingers to the Em shape, substitute Em7 0202, although that may not help if you want a moveable shape

Haven't even see a 4432 Em. Usually just posted as 0432 which has a G note as well as the other. I can hear the difference but is there a reason why you'd choose it?
I play low G.

Top Bottom