Mixer Discussion

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Since there's no forum for amps, mixers and such, I thought I would start a mixer thread. My uke group of 30-50 people will have gigs where there's no P/A or even electricity, so I like to be ready with the necessary wireless gear. I recently bought a Zoom R16 digital mixer/recorder that can be battery operated and records 8 live tracks to an SD card. I also have a set of 6 Xvive wireless pod sets with phantom power for the 6 condenser Shure gooseneck mics I spread around the group. That leaves a channel for my bass uke with a Lekato 5.8GHz wireless pod, and one for anything I might add. My Carvin MB15 200 watt bass amp serves as the P/A, to which I can add a matching 115MBE cabinet to make 250w.

I really like the design of the Zoom R16 mixer with the XLR ports on the back rather than on top, to make it easier to plug in the wireless receiver pods. I use adapters to stagger the pods so they don't rub against each other. Another nice feature of the mixer is being able to control each channel with the digital screen to add effects individually. After recording, I take the SD card to my Mac Studio and do the final mix, usually with GarageBand, and have Logic Pro if needed. I'll also use the tracks in conjunction with my 3 Panasonic 4K camcorders, and edit together the video and audio tracks with Final Cut Pro.

Zoom R16 mixer with Xvive pods.jpg

I like the idea of the wireless mixer and mics. We use a large board with our band and nobody’s gone wireless except me. I have a transmitter/receiver for my tenor guitar, and a wireless mic for my harmonicas. My amp is battery powered and the only cord I run is a “line out” to the PA. I’ve been wondering how a guitar transmitter/receiver would work for replacing line out cord, making my setup completely wireless…

I'm a huge fan of wireless components in a rig. I use a wireless pickup. I do sometimes forget to charge things though. But lithium battery options have extended run time of gear these days so recharging things is much better than throw away 9v batteries. I've heard good things about zoom products. I currently use a 6 ch. pyle mixer with a Bugera AC60 acoustic busking amp but not wireless. That's a cool set up you have.

I like the idea of the wireless mixer and mics. We use a large board with our band and nobody’s gone wireless except me. I have a transmitter/receiver for my tenor guitar, and a wireless mic for my harmonicas. My amp is battery powered and the only cord I run is a “line out” to the PA. I’ve been wondering how a guitar transmitter/receiver would work for replacing line out cord, making my setup completely wireless…
I use a Legato 5.8GHz wireless pod set for line out to the amp, works very well (the mixer photo shows a Joyo that did work). I also just got a very compact dynamic Shaker XLR harmonica mic and use it with one of my Joyo wireless XLR pods. I added a Velcro® loop for my fingers to make it easier to hold.

Shaker XLR wireless.jpg

Last edited:
Can’t help but notice that is a “Lee Oscar” harmonica in your hand.
My favorite harmonicas for many years…

Check out Scott Uhl on YouTube - he is wireless “evangelist”, performs as wireless as possible, and provides well informed unbiased gear reviews. I believe he recently did a video on what you just asked. I did ask him once about what you just suggested and his only caveat was there may be an unacceptable delay.

Top Bottom