Mel Tormé plays a baritone ukulele

DuckyI

Reaction score
Check out Mel Tormé playing a baritone ukulele on a lovely rendition of Jobim’s Corcovado. From about the 23 minute time mark.

Mel was one incredibly talented guy. He was one of the best jazz singers ever, which would be plenty. At the same time, he was a pianist, composer, arranger, author, and was one heck of a good drummer

Funny to hear him remarking that nobody plays the "archaic instrument" any more except him and Arthur Godfrey.

I do enjoy listening to Mel.

Mel was one incredibly talented guy. He was one of the best jazz singers ever, which would be plenty. At the same time, he was a pianist, composer, arranger, author, and was one heck of a good drummer

Oh yeah! He was Count Basie's drummer at one point, before he became a star in his own right. And you don't get that gig if you're not a monster player!

This is a cool video. I'm sorry this style of entertainment is no longer with us.
I agree, Junie! That is some wonderful stuff. My Uncle Jack Sheehan was a well-regarded bass fiddle man in a jazz trio back in the sixties. I was in the eighth grade when he died, unfortunately, at age 46. I wish I'd been a little more "tuned in" to what he was doing musically. I guess that's okay, though; I was just a kid, more occupied with baseball than with music. Man, did that eventually change! :giggle:

That is just mind-bogglingly, humblingly, good!

That was terrific, @DuckyI , thank you! And on the song following that one, “Route 66,” he does some of the best scat singing I’ve ever heard. Mel Torme was astonishing.
That scat singing was excellent, for sure!

I used to do a little scat singing myself. I'm not going to suggest that I was particularly good, but I will mention that I became known among the locals as "Scooby-doot-n-doo Sheehan." (This is, of course, entirely made up. I think I've had one too many sugar cookies.) 😄

That scat singing was excellent, for sure!

I used to do a little scat singing myself. I'm not going to suggest that I was particularly good, but I will mention that I became known among the locals as "Scooby-doot-n-doo Sheehan." (This is, of course, entirely made up. I think I've had one too many sugar cookies.) 😄
That’s my name for you from now on: Scooby-doot-n-doo! 😎

Hahahahahahaha! Thanks, Patty! And Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you and everyone here! I sure do have fun chilling with all of you!
Same to you, my friend. And to everybody on UU. Wishing everybody good health, good fellowship, love and laughter and music, during the holidays and always! ☮️

Check out Mel Tormé playing a baritone ukulele on a lovely rendition of Jobim’s Corcovado. From about the 23 minute time mark.

Thanx for posting Duckl. I've forgotten what a great singer and musician Mel Torme was. Watching those nimble fingers playing the Minor 7th chords makes me envious.

Top Bottom