maybe wrong board, but what do people do with unwanted gig bags?

I'm with you on the Rebel gig bags. Great ukes, really ugly bags. I've had two. The first one had a vinyl finish and I sold it with the uke. The second one had a terrycloth-like exterior. I didn't think the original bags could get worse but they did. Why would you cover a gig bag with an absorbent material?! My coworker has a nine year old daughter who was learning to play the uke and her gig bag was little more than a dust cover so I gifted the Rebel bag to her. She loved it!

Mine goes in the corner with my empty guitar and banjo cases.

Gig bags can be had almost everywhere at a decent price so trying to sell a Rebel bag isn't really worth the effort since there will be so many better looking options. (and shipping would make selling it even less worth while) The best bet would probably be to donate it or hopefully you can find a friend or acquaintance or a little girl who will take it off your hands or give you a nominal amount for it.

I've given away a couple to friends. I still have 2 or 3 hidden somewhere in the basement (AKA The Man Cave!)

I bought a bunch of ukuleles at an auction once and they dumped a dozen low-quality gig bags into the box with the ukes as a "bonus" (also the "concert" sized hardshell cases I bought were actually sopranos but I digress).

Anyway, one of our local elementary schools has an ukulele club and I've been meaning to stop by and see if they'd take the bags as a donation. I figure they'll either be incredibly grateful or they'll point to a closet, packed full of gig bags. Then they'll release the hounds.

Long story short, you might try local schools.

Can I kidnap this thread? Anybody have pointers to GOOD gig bags?
The one I got with my Leho tenor is great, seems like semi-rigid because it’s so well padded and made with rip-stop like strong nylon. I took it on plane, tour bus, car and the use never suffered any injury. Maybe it only misses some neck support but really I can’t believe how sturdy it is being given with such a low price instrument (sounding great and with a good set up “straight out of the box” for the price btw). I don’t know if they sell it separates from ukulele though, it’s black with orange binding.

Unfortunately I don’t have any spare gig bags but I would give it away locally to someone who needs one/schools/bands etc.

I’m happy to accept any unneeded gig bags for free, you just pay shipping. Feel free to PM for details.

I use them to store other things. I use one to store some old flutes and whistles - they are too cheap to use but might have a use with the grandkids. Another holds a variety of cords.

But the best use for one I’ve found is as a carrying bag for my music stand. my stand fits nicely in an old kamoa tenor bag. As a bonus itcan also hold my iPad and some sheet music.

A "surplus" Pukana La soprano bag (they are a bit oversized) holds a music stand with another one converted to a ukulele stand. Great for hotel rooms. I try to nest smaller bags in larger bags for storage.

Attachments

• Bag Open.JPG
    Bag Open.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Daily+Tenor.JPG
    Daily+Tenor.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Top Bottom