No longer available Martin Custom Shop Tenor All Sinker Mahogany with Flamed Maple Accents

Price
$0.00
Shipping
Included within the CONUS
Size
Tenor

ukulelemana

Sharing the Spirit of 'Ukulele
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is a stunning 1 of 2 Custom Martin tenors that came out of a collaboration between Mim of Mim's Ukes and the Martin Custom shop. In total, she commissioned 6 ukes (2 tenor, 2 concert, and 2 soprano) to be made out of all sinker mahogany (including the neck), and styled with flamed maple accents from both the old Martin style 2 and style 3 ukes.

If you look at the pics, you'll see how cool this set of sinker mahogany is with all of the mineral deposits in the wood from sitting at the bottom of a river in Belize for over 100 years!

From Mim's site:

"I brought back the Bowtie Inlay of the 1920s. The 7th fret boasts a dapper maple bowtie. Very Tin Pan Alley, very Roaring 20s. It is like a tuxedo for your uke. So 100 years later, me and Dan Brown at Martin had to dig deep into the archives and bring back the Bowtie. But the modern twist is that we made sure the markers were on the modern 5, 7, and 10the fret, as opposed to the vintage 5, 7, 9.

Then I went with the Style 3, because if you are harkening back to the Martins of the 1920s era, you got to go all out with the beautiful Style 3 and Kite headstock!

It may not be obvious, and it was hard to get a good picture of this detailing, but there is no Ivoroid on this ukulele. At all. It cost a little more as a result, but if you are buying a Martin Custom Shop Ukulele, you want something over-the-top-special. So here it is! I made sure it was something special all the way around. So the bindings, the kite, the purfling, everything.... is maple. The rosette is not Black/White/Black/White/Black/White/Black, it is Black/Maple/Black/Maple/Black/Maple/Black. I know, it is a little thing. But I feel like what makes this ukulele special is the details. By the way, it is not just maple, it is flamed maple. And I have no idea how to get a good picture of it, but there is a subtle flaming to all your bindings, and inlay!

The tuners are planetary nickel tuners. So they tune with a 4:1 ratio, they are smooth, hold their tune well, and the nickel has that wonderful vintage look! These tuners are something I stuck my neck out for, and I am glad I did. They complete the modern vintage look. Vintage style on the front, modern functionality on the back!"

This is a classic all mahogany uke that is very woody and super punchy as you'd expect from a Martin, and it's styled out with the flamed maple accents and, of course, the sinker mahogany! And that sinker mahogany adds more tone on top!

Comes with the original Martin hard case.

Pricing it at No longer available Shipping outside the CONUS will require the shipping details so I can calculate the price and see if additional funds will be required. I'm not interested in any trades. Respectful offers will be considered.

Please reach out with any questions!

Mahalo!

IMG_3646.jpgIMG_3652.jpgIMG_3648.jpgIMG_3653.jpgIMG_3659.jpgIMG_3657.jpgIMG_3654.jpgIMG_3649.jpgIMG_3655.jpgIMG_3660.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool uke! Why you turning it loose?
I have some customs coming along from folks like Tyde, Joji Yoshida, KoAloha Black Label, and I need $$$. It's getting harder and harder to turn certain loose, but these custom builders are ones I want to highlight.

I will say that if it doesn't move, I won't be terribly upset. I'll just have to fund from other sources. :)

Holy moly! I love the maple accents!

Ya I need to cut this one loose to make room for others.
I’m shocked that you would choose this particular Uke to let go. I have the SM-O Tenor which is same wood and build as yours minus the extra cosmetic features and tuners as. I love it! I hope you keep it. Please tell me you’re going to keep it!

Tom

Love the way the bookended mahogany grain works on the back. Really creative and beautiful.

Martin lovers will, uh, love this.

I assume this Martin will appreciate a LOT over the next 20-50 years. Not so sure the custom ones will keep pace.

That’s if you’re treating it as an investment. Having seen a few ukes that OPs listed, doesn’t look like value appreciation is the first thing on their mind, which is probably a good place to be.

Sure, just pointing out this should be a VERY desirable uke! I think it’s fantastic, it’s just out of my price range.

My apologies to the seller for interjecting, I got caught up in the discussion about the cool uke and forgot this was a sale thread.

Wow... coming out of the Custom Shop one of "the" tenors a discriminating collector would want to showcase... and play

One for the ages... a tribute Martin style 3 tenor. As far as I know you just don't normally see style 3 Martin tenors.

GLWS

I'll just mention that Mims has a youtube on this custom order set.

Top Bottom