Martin C1K Concert Ukulele

bazmaz

Reaction score
It's over ten years since I reviewed the tenor version of this. This is the first time i've had the concert in my hands!

Interesting that it has a low "value for the money" score. I always thought of this model as the least costly all koa concert in the market. One of the deal breakers when I tried it was that it has a slotted bridge.

(For those in the market: there is a beautiful dark koa one at Gryphon Strings... they do setups).

Interesting that it has a low "value for the money" score. I always thought of this model as the least costly all koa concert in the market. One of the deal breakers when I tried it was that it has a slotted bridge.

(For those in the market: there is a beautiful dark koa one at Gryphon Strings... they do setups).
Not any longer I don't think. Plus Koa is not 'all that' - you can get an all solid curly mango for example for MUCH less money.

Mind me asking why you dislike the slot bridge? (My favourite sort of bridge!)

Not any longer I don't think. Plus Koa is not 'all that' - you can get an all solid curly mango for example for MUCH less money.

Mind me asking why you dislike the slot bridge? (My favourite sort of bridge!)
I restrung one ukulele one time with a slot bridge. The thick strings need knotting so that they fit into the hole and the thin strings need different knotting so that they don't pull through. Then you might have to pull them back out to clip off the end so it does not protrude. I also worry that the slots can "wear out" and need replacing. I recall a couple of posts here where they recommended converting it to a string through bridge (using a drill) to fix the issue.

I restrung one ukulele one time with a slot bridge. The thick strings need knotting so that they fit into the hole and the thin strings need different knotting so that they don't pull through. Then you might have to pull them back out to clip off the end so it does not protrude. I also worry that the slots can "wear out" and need replacing. I recall a couple of posts here where they recommended converting it to a string through bridge (using a drill) to fix the issue.
Yeah I guess - though you still see lots of original 1920's Martin ukes with slot bridges that have held up over 100 years.

Martin C1K is the first ukulele that I bought with my own money (previous ukuleles were borrowed from relatives). It is still my favorite concert ukulele that I own, though I do not own any concert ukuleles that cost more than $1000. I have tried a US-made Martin concert ukulele at the local Martin dealer and that did sound noticeably richer than the C1K, but the price was 3 times as much, so you do get what you pay for.

Price of the C1K in the US is USD $499, which translates to less than £400 UK pounds. The value may not be so good in the UK where the retail price is £545, but I think the value is great for a real koa concert ukulele sold in the USA. I do like the bright sweet koa sound.

My only real complaint is that 12 frets to the body does limit my playing style a little. Most concert ukuleles (and even some sopranos) have 14 frets. On the other hand, the C1K is lighter weight than most concert ukuleles (less than 1 pound in weight), which makes it easier (for me) to play.

Last edited:
I have to say that I always love your reviews. We are so lucky over here to have a UK-based reviewer of such amazing quality. Thank you for all you do!

A UK seller is selling one of these on eBay for around 350 brand new and I must say I am slightly tempted but probably shouldn't!

I have to say that I always love your reviews. We are so lucky over here to have a UK-based reviewer of such amazing quality. Thank you for all you do!

A UK seller is selling one of these on eBay for around 350 brand new and I must say I am slightly tempted but probably shouldn't!
My pleasure!

Baz, in the video, while you were tuning it (at about 7:50), the A string seemed to howl (resonate) louder than the other three. It seemed to stand out while strumming, also. Was it just in the recording?

Admittedly, I am very sensitive to #2 strings in general. They are my center of balance.
<edit> Admission#2 I intuitively grab my concerts even though I've all the "others."

Last edited:
Hi @bazmaz I bought my C1K in May 2023. Your review wouldn’t have changed my mind, in fact it would have only helped, but this uke taught me a couple things very quickly.

1. As a guitar & bass player I must take all future comments (not applicable to this review) about “chunky” necks with a grain of salt! I’m accustomed to 1-3/4” nuts, my 12-string is 1-7/8”. I’m with you on this, I really don’t want anything narrower than 38mm and a little wider wouldn’t hurt either. I also would prefer a fuller neck, though the flat spots on the back are a nice touch when available.

2. 12 fret vs 14 fret makes an enormous difference in a uke-sized instrument. My daughter’s Ohana 14-fret is rather more comfortable for me than the C1K. It’s not that I get up on those high frets, I just like the extra room. I’m built long of limbs…

3. Baz makes em all sound better than I do!

I do really wish the fretboard were of harder darker wood, as it is the fretboard is almost indistinguishable from the neck as a separate piece of wood. I suppose it could be worse; some of these are awfully plain. I’m also considering a string change. I like the Worth Browns on my daughter’s instrument.

Mine & daughter’s:
D12C473B-FDE2-4B39-A5E8-EE42C396C14C.jpeg

Top Bottom