MagicFluke Flea vs other polycarbonates

I would not expect the koa or spruce solid tops to be as durable as the standard laminate hoop pine top. I think the laminate version may not have the "sparkle" of the koa tops. It is a trade off, depending on your needs

Yes, IME, MFC instruments sound and play better then the much less expensive Flights, which aren't bad, but you get what you pay for. As far as durability. I don't think I've ever seen an MFC with a top crack, even the solid top models.

I was playing around outside with the kids the other day and one of them asked to see my ukulele (my sub-$100 Donner laminate) and they promptly dropped it. No substantial damage - just some scuffing on the headstock - but it really made me start thinking about something a bit more "fooling around with the kids outside" safe.

So many people seem to really love the Flea - and the one time I got to play one I found it immensely comfortable. But I'm wondering about whether it's 2x-3x better than an Enya Nova or Flight UTS since the price is definitely much steeper. I have yet to run into a Nova or UTS "in the wild" to even try out. I have tried out the Flight TUS and wasn't very taken with it - thought it sounded a bit thin and cheap.

Anyone here have any strong feelings on whether the Flea quality is worth the extra spend - especially considering how much more you get with the aforementioned alternatives?

There is only one Flea/Fluke. All others are imitations. I don't worry about bringing mine to somewhere that might be considered "dangerous" for a uke. Baz has reviewed non-Fleas, and he seems to prefer the original. For one thing, it's 100% home grown, mostly in MA.

I am all for Magic Fluke/Flea but admittedly am not a fan of the friction tuners (they work, but I am not a fan). I wish there was another stock option than the pegheads.

That all said, I don’t see any Magic Fluke or Flea as a beater instrument.

I would recommend an Outdoor Ukulele for this application, as they are the most rugged option…unless you want a concert.

I have a Flea and a Flight TUS-35 which also has a plastic body and a laminate top. I enjoy them both and honestly, they are very VERY similar in sound and feel. The most obvious differences are aesthetic. Another consideration; the Flea's neck is a bit bulky and an unusual shape; I initially found it uncomfortable. Also, Flight ukuleles have geared tuners which are much easier to use than the Flea's friction tuners making the Flight more kid-friendly.

Would I let the kids play my Flea? Nope, it's probably just as kid-resistant as the Flight but considering the Flea's price tag, I wouldn't risk it. I played a Flight Ultra Travel Soprano at a uke festival last weekend and I liked it. It was very nicely put-togther and appeared industructable so that would be my choice if I didn't already have a TUS-35.

One thing to remember: a plastic (or mostly plastic) ukulele will never sound like a wood uke, which isn't necessarily bad, they're just different. Try before you buy, if you can. I like the Flights, Fleas and Flukes discussed in this thread but some other plastic ukes sound horrible, don't stay in tune and are uncomfortable to play. A kid could easily get turned off to playing music if they've only tried an inferior instrument.

Last edited:
Just a quick update that ultimately it doesn't matter because the kids' school reintroduced lessons on piano, guitar, and ukulele. Of course both kids chose guitar. 🤦‍♂️

Top Bottom