Made some ukulele case I.D. tags

mikelz777

Reaction score
While I don't have all that many ukes (7 currently), I thought it would be nice to be able to quickly I.D. them without having to open their cases which is where I always keep them when they aren't being played. I ordered some key-fob tags and some bead chains from AliExpress which all-told ran me less than $5.00. I made up some abbreviations I would recognize and printed up several different sized fonts on a sheet of paper and found 16 pt worked best for me. The key-fobs came with their own paper and little plastic windows but I discarded both because the little plastic windows easily got messed up with handling and would probably fall out over time. I ended up applying a strip of packing tape over the letters then cut them to size. They work well and turned out nicely. Some are obvious but can you guess what my ukes are? (I was shooting for quick I.D. for me, not a cataloging level of I.D.)

resized tag pic.JPG

Great solution.

I used cheap plastic tags and hand wrote on the back of the paper address inserts. Yours are much more classy and easy to read.

Those look great. Not sure it would work for me as I usually switch ukuleles, putting the one away into the case that the next one is coming from.

I've been using string tags but they tear off quite easily. This idea would be good for my dedicated cases and lots of other neat schtuff.

Found these 1"x2" tags on 'zon: 20 for $7 or 40 for $11.
Uniclife 40 Pack Tough Plastic Key Tags with Split Ring Label Window, Assorted Colors

Clear, you are responsible for this!

Blue Baritone
Clear Concert
Yellow Pineapple
Red Bass (low in the spectrum)
Green Tenor (Teal'y-ish...?)
Purple Soprano (high in the spectrum...)
Orange Flight Travels

Pink? Not my color -> give to Wifey for her quilting and sewing cases.

Am I overthinking? ;)

<Edit> I bought the pack of 40; put them on zipper pulls.
SO wants more! Lot's of uses for these...

Last edited:
I've been using string tags but they tear off quite easily. This idea would be good for my dedicated cases and lots of other neat schtuff.

Found these 1"x2" tags on 'zon: 20 for $7 or 40 for $11.
Uniclife 40 Pack Tough Plastic Key Tags with Split Ring Label Window, Assorted Colors
I got 10 tags with split ring/label/window for $2.55 delivered and they are just a tad above 1-3/4" x 3/4". I got 20 bead chains for $2.13 delivered. Since they were from AliExpress they took about 3-4 weeks to get to me but the prices were right and I was in no hurry.

Cool tags; very organized.
Maybe putting colored tape or paints on the frames for fast identification.

I've made tags for my cases as well, since most are the same black Uke Crazy case and it's a sea of black in my spare room where I keep them. I do bead embroidery, and I made some tags using bead embroidery to bezel and finish unique cabochons to help ID all the black cases. Guys probably wouldn't be interested in this, but I like it. I'll post a pic sometime.

One night at our ukulele group a member went home with his ukulele in the wrong case. It got straightened out eventually, but caused a bit of a stir.

since then i’ve been adding luggage tags or key fobs to my cases. Decorative and unique enough to help identify one from another.

Top Bottom