Low G Low G on a travel/thin body uke- anyone done it?

All things related to linear-tuned ukuleles
I have a Koaloha slimline that came with a low G installed and I haven't changed it. It sounds just as good as my full-bodied Kamaka in low G.

I did it! ...threw on a Fremont soloist to "spruce up" a Kala thinbody (acacia, not the spruce top model). I felt it was kinda tight and quiet, even after changing to Oasis warms. Figured why not try low G on it? And wow! I'm not one to gush and use a lot of hyperbole like "transformation" but it really does sound even better! Call me impressed. I know it's my imagination, but the quieter strings seem to have come alive and I know there is more ring/sustain to the previously dead note on the A string. Not sure what is on my other low G but it does not look like this one (not gold, but still sounds good though).

There don't seem to be a lot of single low G strings being sold (without having to get creative with guitar strings), and the Fremont seems like it's the only wound choice sometimes, but it is a good one. The bonus is I'm pretty sure I can get 2 concert lengths out of it!

Last edited:
Glad your liking it badhabits. I buy the Fremont low G on Ebay four at a time. I love the sound and feel of them, without the squeak. (y)

Top Bottom