Lanikai SPS-S or Ohana SK-50MG

Fhede

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I have a Lanikai SPS-S (solid spruce top with laminate rosewood back and sizes), a really nice Uke.
There is a good offer of a used Ohana SK-50MG, a solid cedar top with flamed mahogany back and size.. according to what I read here, it has a bigger body than an standard soprano...

Do you think there will be big differences between both? I don't need an other soprano... but the UAS... also want to try different ukes with different woods...

Your advise? Thanks!

Last edited:
Or? What is this “or?”

I nearly always prefer to play acoustic instruments in-person. What I think is Warm you might think Boomy. What you think “Sweet” I might find Plinky.

You get get a general idea online, which Might be Good Enough, but it’s not my preference.

Hi folks!
I have a Lanikai SPS-S (solid spruce top with laminate rosewood back and sizes), a really nice Uke.
There is a good offer of a used Ohana SK-50MG, a solid cedar top with flamed mahogany back and size.. according to what I read here, it has a bigger body than an standard soprano...

Do you think there will be big differences between both? I don't an other soprano... but the UAS... also want to try different ukes with different woods...

Your advise? Thanks!

You will likely notice a difference between the two though which you will like best I don’t know. I think I’d prefer the solid cedar top.

If you can comfortably afford the Ohana then purchase it and see what you think. If you don’t like the Ohana then sell it, if you like the Ohana more than the Lanikai then you might chose to sell the Lanikai.

… UU is usually a place where people are nice to folk whose first language isn’t English.

Last edited:
If nut width and string spread are important specs to you, be aware thar Ohana sopranos often have narrow 34mm nut width, with 27mm string spread at the nut. Not an issue for some, but worth knowing. I tried an otherwise gorgeous looking and sounding Ohana soprano, but had to send it back because of that. YMMV.

I would inquire if the Ohana was originally sold through MIM - if so no worries. She is probably the largest seller of Ohana and does expert set up. If the seller got it from her I'd say its worth considering. If not, I would have some hesitation buying it used and would get a new one from Mim.

Only place I'd buy a Ohana from - or at least one that passed through her hands and was set up by her originally.

I'd tend to want a new one from her. If you don't like it she will take it back, subject to her return policy which is generous. An Ohana really needs to be gone over , and Mim is the one to do it.

I have three of each (soprano, concert, tenor) modestly priced Ohanas and their equivalent Lanikais. The build qualities of both are excellent.

The Lanikai do have noticeably wider nut and string spacing, but I have no problem switching back and forth.
The Ohana nut and string spacing is more "typical." Both brands feel good in the hand. Both are non-fatiguing, which is also good.

In general, the Lanikais sound sweeter with the Ohanas being a bit bolder. Volume-wise they are about the same, just different. Both are pleasant to listen to. I prefer the concert and tenor size in both cases.

I don't have much opinion on the sopranos as the ones I have are wildly different:

The Lanikai CDST-S is pleasantly bright but doesn't have quite enough of a rounded-out tone. Pretty close, though.

The Ohana VK-70R (Vita-Uke) sounds a bit like a banjolele. It is, by design, of another world and I like it for what it is.

My advice? Buy the Ohana SK-50MG. You will have two pleasant, but different, sopranos to play.

Last edited:
Or? What is this “or?”

I nearly always prefer to play acoustic instruments in-person. What I think is Warm you might think Boomy. What you think “Sweet” I might find Plinky.

You get get a general idea online, which Might be Good Enough, but it’s not my preference.
Thanks, the matter is that in Argentina, There aren't many options of ukes. Additionally, the prices of new ones are pretty expensive, but on the other hand, as the market is not important, you can find opportunities in the second hand market.

Thanks for your advice!

You will likely notice a difference between the two though which you will like best I don’t know. I think I’d prefer the solid cedar top.

If you can comfortably afford the Ohana then purchase it and see what you think. If you don’t like the Ohana then sell it, if you like the Ohana more than the Lanikai then you might chose to sell the Lanikai.

… UU is usually a place where people are nice to folk whose first language isn’t English.

Hope that my english is not barrier! 🙃

Yes, I totally understand that, as I'm a beginner in uke world, I have about 10 years of trying almost every electric guitar model that is around! Tone is totally subjetive.

If nut width and string spread are important specs to you, be aware thar Ohana sopranos often have narrow 34mm nut width, with 27mm string spread at the nut. Not an issue for some, but worth knowing. I tried an otherwise gorgeous looking and sounding Ohana soprano, but had to send it back because of that. YMMV.
Yes, I read here in UU, that many appreciate the wider nut of Lanikai Ukes...
Actually, my Lanikai Soprano has a wider nut than my Ohana CK-20 concert and Kala PWT tenor!
But i don't know yet which one is better for me... at the moment i can play with all of them!
Thanks for your advice!

I would inquire if the Ohana was originally sold through MIM - if so no worries. She is probably the largest seller of Ohana and does expert set up. If the seller got it from her I'd say its worth considering. If not, I would have some hesitation buying it used and would get a new one from Mim.

Only place I'd buy a Ohana from - or at least one that passed through her hands and was set up by her originally.

I'd tend to want a new one from her. If you don't like it she will take it back, subject to her return policy which is generous. An Ohana really needs to be gone over , and Mim is the one to do it.
I'm in Argentina, I don't know where is MIM but i guess that it's in NA or in UK, so I don't think it was bought there, but I'll ask the seller.
Thanks!

I have three of each (soprano, concert, tenor) modestly priced Ohanas and their equivalent Lanikais. The build qualities of both are excellent.

The Lanikai do have noticeably wider nut and string spacing, but I have no problem switching back and forth.
The Ohana nut and string spacing is more "typical." Both brands feel good in the hand. Both are non-fatiguing, which is also good.

In general, the Lanikais sound sweeter with the Ohanas being a bit bolder. Volume-wise they are about the same, just different. Both are pleasant to listen to. I prefer the concert and tenor size in both cases.

I don't have much opinion on the sopranos as the ones I have are wildly different:

The Lanikai CDST-S is pleasantly bright but doesn't have quite enough of a rounded-out tone. Pretty close, though.

The Ohana VK-70R (Vita-Uke) sounds a bit like a banjolele. It is, by design, of another world and I like it for what it is.

My advice? Buy the Ohana SK-50MG. You will have two pleasant, but different, sopranos to play.
Thanks for your feedback, I really want a new tenor, I found it as the best size, but I enjoy the three sizes.
If this one was a tenor i had bought it without hesitation... the reason to buy it is to try different tonewoods... but the size.
I'm trying to find a good reason to buy it without a guilty feeling!

Pd: I'm still selling the excess of guitars i've bought during the last years!

I haven’t tried the Ohana SK-50MG, but I do have a concert Ohana with a solid cedar top and laminate ebony sides and back CK-50ME set up by Mim that I really like. I also have a spruce top soprano and a spruce top concert (not Lanikai) and the tone is very different. The spruce sounds much more bright and punchy, but the cedar is a bit more warm. They are appreciably different in the character of the sound. I don’t have enough musical vocabulary or knowledge to express it well, but I can easily hear the difference. I switch off between those and my redwood top uke depending on my mood. I have yet to try a tenor. I guess that is in my list for next year.

I looked at pictures of the SK-5MG (flamed) online and the back and sides are gorgeous. If you have the money to spare and want to try a cedar top, it seems like a solid choice. It is too bad that you can’t easily access one in your favorite tenor size and don’t have access to try one out. Good luck with your decision.

Hi folks!

Do you think there will be big differences between both? I don't need an other soprano... but the UAS... also want to try different ukes with different woods...

Your advise? Thanks!
Here's a video review of the Ohana sk-50mg by Alohacityukes, (USA). Sounds and looks like a great player. The alohacityukes website has a description of the uke specs which might help your decision making. The video review is at the bottom of the page.
https://alohacityukes.com/products/ohana-sk-50g-soprano-ukulele-all-solid-wood-cedar-rosewood

Top Bottom