KoAloha Factory Special Pricing on the Secondary Market

Pissodes

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know that KoAloha offers the factory specials at a slight discount off the the RRP, but would this factor into the pricing of a used factory special? Considering equivalent instruments, would (or should) the factory special be priced lower than a first quality version?

I know this is a bit subjective and there would be other factors like scarcity of the instrument or maybe how many are for sale at a given time.

So would you expect a used factory special to be sold less than it's equivalent?

I know that KoAloha offers the factory specials at a slight discount off the the RRP, but would this factor into the pricing of a used factory special? Considering equivalent instruments, would (or should) the factory special be priced lower than a first quality version?

I know this is a bit subjective and there would be other factors like scarcity of the instrument or maybe how many are for sale at a given time.

So would you expect a used factory special to be sold less than it's equivalent?
The Best Hawaiian Ukulele 2 store sells factory seconds regularly. They are sold at at discount. When I was in Honolulu I visited them and the defects on the seconds were minor. Call them

I would say "yes" to your inquiry. A factory second has an indication (on the label?) so it should be devalued accordingly. Two equivalent ukuleles, should have the factory second priced less.

Interesting question... would a brand new factory special be on par price-wise with a used first run uke? 🤷
I've not come across a new factory special but have read several accounts that the discount is around 10%. Based on the current market, I'd guess a used first quality uke would be at a higher discount. I'm also basing my price on the the UU market place. I know ULTP is selling a used KoAloha long neck pineapple soprano mango royal pikake (that's a mouth full) for $50ish off RRP but their prices may be an outlier.

The Best Hawaiian Ukulele 2 store sells factory seconds regularly. They are sold at at discount. When I was in Honolulu I visited them and the defects on the seconds were minor. Call them
Best also includes the Koaloha case IIRC

the discount is around 10%.
I seem to recall 20% off the full MSRP

20% off a new factory special sounds right.
and down the road, secondary market for a used factory special is obviously going to be less than an equal used first quality instrument, no matter if the defect is small - its still a second.

The defects I've seen were purely cosmetic, like tiny blips or dust in the finish. I've seen one lucky guy get a new one at the factory special price at the factory.

20% is quite generous considering the blem is often very minor or not even detectable by the average buyer.

How are factory specials distinguished, i.e., marked, anyway?

Never seen one of those labels.

Looking at the full MSRPs on the Koaloha website and the factory specials being sold by Best on eBay, the discount appears to be about 18-20% with no case. Those are new factory specials.

That was from some previous posting here. Looking a Best's website it seems the factory specials with the newer wood label don't have any indication that they are specials.

Interestingly, TUS is selling first quality Koaloha's at a 20% reduction so maybe none of this means anything.

When I took the factory tour January this year they have a list of ukulele's that have slight defects. Depending on the defect and the price of the ukulele the difference can be a little or a lot (there was a Tenor ukulele that had a defect that was almost $500 off - I regret not picking it up...).

Yeah that's a hefty discount. Would be very hard to pass that by.

I think by the label they use for them.
I was on factory tour a couple of weeks ago and they now all have laser etched wooden labels. There were not really any "factory specials" available in the showroom any more. Instead they now have ukes with unique decorations such as engraved pickguard for visitors that are sold at higher price than regular ukes. This was very disappointing.

I find used KoAloha prices hard to understand as their warranty can facilitate easy exchange of a used uke for a brand new one, so in theory used should maintain their value and then some. Also, I find some of the older KoAlohas that have Hawaii carved necks a lot more desirable than the new ones with necks that are made elsewhere.

I have a photo of the factory 2nd price list which I took when I visited about 6 months ago. They are about 25% off approximately. Not exact numbers. Those pick guard models I kinda have a feeling is from Isaac’s idea(ukulelelab). Occasionally on his website you’ll see such pick guards. Sometimes a few ukes with different pick guard designs. Some on the other side as well. I asked Isaac before and he said that due to some scratch or blemish he came up with the idea of doing that. He is quite close to the Koaloha guys.

That was from some previous posting here. Looking a Best's website it seems the factory specials with the newer wood label don't have any indication that they are specials.
I'm late to the party here, but find this intriguing. I may find that hard to pass by as well. Could someone provide me an eBay link to this company? Thank you

I visited this store twice to try out ukes at my recent visit to Honolulu. They have a huge selection of ukes and friendly staff. I didn't notice any factory specials in the store though. Maybe they don't have many these days. Koaloha production is quite high though, according to Brian they complete 20 to 30 each day (compared to 10 reported at Kamaka factory).

Top Bottom